Massachusetts group grape buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the update, I'd forgotten how much time had passed. I would love to drop by for a tasting, but spare time is rare right now. My instinctive reaction would be to blend them, but I will bow to the opinions of those who do the tasting.

I'm not a Shriner either. (Unwilling to join any group that would have someone like me as a member...)

The next time that would work for me to have anyone come by to try the wine would be the weekend after next. (The 20th) I'm not talking a party, because I do have stuff planned that weekend but if anyone wanted to drop by we could pick a time and do it then. Let me know if that will work for people and we'll make a date.
PTN

I had saved a few grape plastic containers form the de-stemming session, and looked up the area of production, the Chilean Curico district: (wikepedia link)

The box actually specifies the township as Sagrada Familia, within Curico

Interesting climate.

EDIT: It looks like the district is part of the Maule region, central valley, affected by the quake, as epicenter was located at its southern border, according to N.Y.Times map:

"The Maule region... was the area most affected by the earthquake, with more than 580 deaths. A state of emergency was declared and an army general was put in charge of the region."

Well guys, since no-one semed to want to buy more Chilean grapes this spring it looks like we're going to have to wait till the fall to bottle. I'm not able to buy the grapes myself to re-fill the barrels this spring, I've got too many other irons in the fire. (As we talked about before, leaving expensive oak barrels empty for a long period of time is a prescription for disaster. Since I don't want to ruin my barrels I'm not gonna do that, so they can just sit there an hold the wine till the fall.) It is probably just as well, given the recent disaster in Chile I've read that the area vineyards are scrambling to just be able to take care of their own needs. I don't think their infrastructure is capable of exporting perishable crops at the moment. So I'm just going to plan on sitting on the wine till the fall harvest. I will definately be buying grapes then, and if you guys want to do a repeat group thing then I'll be game for that.

PTN

FYI, the guy who runs my local HBS (who also has a couple locations in eastern MA) gets fresh grape juice direct from one of the vineyards in the Finger Lakes. You might want to talk to him; I'm pretty sure he drives up himself and picks up the juice in fermenation buckets. Kinda neat to do something with local product, you know?

i know i'm jumping in late here. but also consider in the summer michigan tart cherries from the traverse city region(look at your hand and where the pinky meets the ring finger is its location). don't forget the vineyards all over the west side of the state, you can do the same thing as ptn did in the fingers lakes. i seem to recall that a couple sold fresh juice (maybe st julians?)

I've bought a load of juice from Fulkersons on the western shore of Seneca over the years. In fact, we're heading out there in a few weeks to judge a regional competition. I'm really looking forward to it, some of the Reislings and Gewerts they make are fantastic. Yes, you have to drink a fair amount of Catawba and Concord at those things but you only have to put it in your mouth for a moment and you don't have to swallow unless you want to. (Insert prison joke here.)

PTN

I pulled a few glasses out of the big barrel last night as Alice and I sat out on the deck. I haven't tried any of this in months. I brought it back up and handed Al her glass and waited to see what she thought before I dove in, since I'll be the first to admit that her pallet is more distinguishing than mine. She took a big sniff and said, "Wow, that is screaming out 'Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate'." I took a whiff and I think she nailed it. Dead on, in your face, milk chocolate with smoke and leather. Very, very nice. A very little bit of the funky earthyness as an undertone.

In the mouth it has nice body, a silky mouthfeel. Im not getting as much fruit as I expected, it's there it just isn't dominant. Of course, that is characteristic of a Malbec so that isn't a flaw. There is a definite 'oaky'ness to the wine that is quite pleasant. All in all, I'd say we did quite well. This is quite drinkable now, and I'd expect that it will last for 5 years anyways, longer if a top quality cork was used to seal the bottle. Also realize that I just brought a few glasses up and didn't let it breathe at all, we pulled a barrel sample and drank it. I'd expect a much more open wine if it breathed a bit.

So now we need to pick a date to bottle and decide if you guys are interested in doing it again. I'm going to be filling up the barrels, its only a question of is it all my wine or some of yours.

Discuss...

PTN

Can't wait to try the Malbec! I know that Kim & I are up for a day of bottling and we'd also be up for joining in for another batch.

After the first week of October, we aren't going to be around until the end of the month so if the bottling/making activities happen before October 3rd, count us in.

I was going to suggest that but figured that you would be busy with the drinking/roasting/smoking etc...

Sounds good to me.

If I remember correctly, last time we bottled there were four people always at work cleaning, filling, & corking, and one person who had to fill up our glasses whenever they became empty.

Paul - Are we going to bottle in the near future or are we going to wait until you have some more wine to fill up the barrels after we empty them?

Sorry I missed the recent posts. Yes, we need to get together to bottle sometime soon. We need to pick a date, get bottles and do the deed. Doing it before the holidays is do-able but probably difficult because of holiday get togethers. I'd jsut as soon get it done but am personally in no great hurry. So lets get some discussion going, pick a time frame and start to plan.

PTN

If you want to get it done in the next month, I'm free this weekend (Nov 20 & 21), December 12, 18, 19...

Also, any Tuesday, Thursday, and some Friday evenings would work.

Or, we can wait until the next harvest so Paul has something to put in the barrels.

I will be back in town Friday 11-19 and don't have any "planned" trips until the next year...so any weekend is possible.

Just let me know.

We talked about it at the U3 day but you weren't there. You're going to have to guess the plans. Sorry, but we voted on it.

Oh... but I DID listen to the webcast! Some of it.
Does that count?

I drifted off, as it was getting dark, I had stuff to do, and fewer and fewer of you folks were still standing...

When did the Norton PD show up, BTW?

Well alllllllllright I guess that will have to do. Sometime after the middle of May for bottling. Everyone will need two + cases of cleaned and sanitized bottles and corks. If you don't want to bother with drinking/begging 25 or 26 bottles of wine, along with the required cleaning, delabeling and sanitizing then Steve carries them at the Witches Nrew

I'll go down and pull a barrel sample this week and report back

I'm very interested, I didn't know you made wine PTN. I would like to chat with you about this some time.

Where in mass is this project located? Are you guys planning on doing it again?

Edit:
I'd be interested depending on how far it is. I'm close to Foxwoods in ct, so ma is a bit of a hike but I could definatly work something out if it isn't too too far.

Hi guys.

No, not ignoring anyone. I double dog cross my heart that I'll go down cellar later on today and pull a sample and report back. I haven't tried it since last summer. I'd go pull some now but I have an appointment with my doc at noon for a wicked chest cold and don't want to show up smelling like booze.

Will, of course any bottle will do but traditionally this sort of wine would go in a bordeaux bottle. It takes 25 or so bottles per 5 gallons.

Nothing current planned, Gush. We did this about 2 years ago and now its time to bottle.

PTN

Lol, but you need to fill your barrels again! :wishful thinking:

If you guys DO end up doing something again and need more people let me know... Thanks!

Back