Mash question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMUV

Reaction score
I am a bit confused. When mashing at 152 degrees for 60 minutes should the temperature be kept at 152 degrees by adding heat or allowing the mash to cool naturally over the 60 minutes? In reading it seems like some folks maintain temperature and some folks don't.

There are a few approaches to maintaining the mash temperature.

- RIMS/HERMS systems. If you had one of those , you wouldn't be asking.

- Mash in an insulated cooler to minimize heat loss.

- If mashing in a kettle (as with Brew In A Bag), wrap the kettle with blankets, a sleeping bag, or some other insulator to minimize heat loss.

(Another way, which I would avoid, is by direct firing the kettle. It's hard to control and hard to maintain a consistent temperature throughout the volume of the mash.)

If your not loosing more than a couple degrees over the coarse of that hour, I wouldn't worry about it. Your mash doesn't need to stay at 152.00. Even if you are losing a few degrees an hour, that's something you can reproduce by being consistent with your starting temp.

At the end of the day it's the consistency that will matter.

To add on to what VikeMan said about an insulated cooler, you can also even wrap the cooler with a thermal blanket or a sleeping bag to help insulate it even further. And like estricklin said, you may lose a degree or two here or there depending on what method you do...but if it is a 60 or 90 minute mash (as long as you're not frequently opening the container) the heat loss should be minimal.

At the end of the day it's the consistency that will matter.

i'm not sure why most people are trying to make a commercial product....lol

to the OP, you want to hold the temp. that's the temp the enzymes are most active, but not denatured.

What others said. I do BIAB. Just mashed in half an hour ago with strike water at 157F, grain probably 72 ish. 12 pounds of grain in 8.5 gallons of water in a 10 gallon kettle is pretty close to the top. Initial temp 154. Wrapped in reflection insulation blanket and a moving blanket. I'll leave it for about 90 minutes and the temp typically drops 2-3 degrees.
IMG_1765.jpeg

The majority of your conversation happens in the first 20-30 mins so to me that matters the most, I wrap my keggle mash tun in 3 comforters and it will hold within a couple degrees for that time. I wouldn’t be that concerned of a temp drop over 60 mins.

Personally I don’t worry about a few degrees anyway even when mashing in as long as I’m within 2 degrees of my target temp. I know others have to be right on that temp but I’ve made enough beers to know that I’ll end up with either the beer I was going for or something really close, your supposed to enjoy making beer not stressing about it.

Let's reset a little. The idea is to keep the mash at 152 for an hour. If you do not have a way to keep it consistent then yes, use some of the methods mentioned above and you will not see much difference. But to answer your question the goal is to keep at the 152 degrees for an hour.

I strive for every batch I make to be as good or better than anything I can buy off a liquor store shelf or drink at a craft brewery, and I’m disappointed if they aren’t.

i strive for every single 12 pack i drink to be AT LEAST half the price of anything i can buy at the liquor store! :mug: (i'm not trying to impress anybody)

Thanks for all the replies! I get the idea now. I should try to maintain as consistent temperature as my equipment will allow. I also want to brew beer that is not only cheaper than the retailers but that is a pleasure to drink as well as to share. You guys are the best!

completely off-topic...but i swear i jizzed, when i thought the OP of music match posted!

and to the OP of this thread, i hope you get a good buzz, and don't have to lick boot...whatever you want to pay for it!

Back