Wonderings about cereal mashings and protein rests, differing from commonly cited methods

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Whenever I read about using unmodified grains the method always seems to be doing a mini cereal mash with a little malt, sometimes with a protein rest, then a short sac. rest and then boiling to be sure the grain is fully gelatinized. Afterwards this is added to the main mash and brought straight to sac. temperatures.

It's sad that the main benefit of a protein rest is when using higher than 20% of un-malted grains. In this case, doesn't it make sense to add the cereal mash to the main mash, decoct and protein rest for 15 minutes and then bring it up to sac. temps?

I'm planning a glutinous rice ale with a large portion of glutinous rice and hoping to do more experiments with larger quantities of unmalted grains.

Cheers,
Mike

I Mike, I make a beer with 30% rice and a cereal mash. Rice gelatinizes at 189* so this is my procedure. Using the same ratio of 1 part rice and 2 parts liquor I soak the rice overnite, and get the rest of main mash ready so the day can flow. I heat the rice while stiring(it's really stiff at this point) to 189*+ ,put on cover and insulation rest 20 min.While resting I heat the strike liquor and HLT. After 20 min I bring the temp down to ~156* with ice and add 1 lb of pils malt. Let rest at ~143* for 20 min. At this point you should see some free board and the stirring is way easier. Heat while stirring to 162* and rest 20 min. Now it should look like soup ,with no whole grains. I heat to boiling stirring a little then put on the cover ,turn it down to a simmer for 20 min. When the cereal mash is at the 162* rest I mash in the main at 143* and add the cereal mash when done to step up to 162*. If you want the day to go longer you could pull a decoction after 15 min and boil for 20 min ,then add back for mash out. It's a long day but with that additional decoction step it will be the best beer ever.

Sounds like a pretty good method to me hottpepper. Although, I don't follow what you mean about "pulling a decoction and boil" at the end. I also don't think it's necessary to really boil your cereal mash before adding it to the main mash, and it might destroy a few extra enzymes that you'd have in there otherwise, although maybe it'd further blow apart the rice a bit.

Salud,

The decoction at the end is for my system so I can get to 172* mashout. You are correct that boiling the cereal mash isn't really necessary, but it adds some color otherwise it's pretty Bud like in SRM

If you want more color add some 20L-40L grains in small amounts.

Latest posts

Back