Maple Pecan Ale using Nukey Brown as base

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeeAliceBrewery

Reaction score
I recently brewed up a unique brew. I started with the Nukey Brown Ale Kit from Northern Brewer....but added a couple little twists.

1. I roasted a half pound of raw pecans multiple times for short durations to remove as much of the oils as possible. After I felt I had as much oil removed as possible I wrapped them up in paper towels for a day to dry out. I crushed them and boiled them in the wort for the first 45 minutes of the boil.

2. With 5 minutes left in the boil I added a pound of Grade B cooking maple syrup.

Pulled my sample last night....it is done and will be bottling this weekend. I was somewhat concerned that I might have took the wrong approach with the 45 minute pecan boil. But not only did it turn out good....it is actually awesome! The nut flavor is perfect...though I am only getting a very slight hint of the maple flavor...so I will be adding a very small amount of maple extract when I bottle this weekend. Very glad that I used my imagination... While I generally share all my brews with my friends...this one might be one I save for myself!

Glad it turned out for you. Maple syrup is pretty fermentable so if that's the flavor you're going for, I think the extract is the way to go.

Back