Using pecans…

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Srimmey

Reaction score
Anyone know the best way to add an intense pecan flavor? I was thinking of using pecans the next time I make an Acerglyn.

Should I just freeze a ton of chopped nuts and add them to secondary or is there a better way? I want the flavor to be bold and recognizable.

Im hoping the flavors produced by the fermented maple syrup will work well together with the pecans.

Also, will adding raw (frozen) pecans add tannins? If so, I’ll skip the powdered tannins in the next batch.

Well it’s ordered, I’ll be making the batch in about 2 weeks. Shooting for 5 gallons, probably start with a tablespoon in primary + more as needed in secondary.
Of course, you can always make your own extract by macerating pecans (or whatever) in vodka for a few weeks and after straining the extract you add this to the secondary before bottling.

Of course, you can always make your own extract by macerating pecans (or whatever) in vodka for a few weeks and after straining the extract you add this to the secondary before bottling.
Would the alcohol extract any of the oils from the nuts as well or would it just extract the flavor?
Thank you, in advance, if you do reply.

Good question. I guess I have never had any problems with the spirit extracting oils from nuts. But I imagine that if the alcohol pulled oils from the pecans you could place the extract in the fridge for a day or so and the the oils would tend to solidify (not sure the technical expression) and you could remove them by scooping up the that oil layer with a spoon...

Good question. I guess I have never had any problems with the spirit extracting oils from nuts. But I imagine that if the alcohol pulled oils from the pecans you could place the extract in the fridge for a day or so and the the oils would tend to solidify (not sure the technical expression) and you could remove them by scooping up the that oil layer with a spoon...
the "technical expression" you are looking for is Get Hard....lol or maybe coagulate

I made a great pecan brown ale. I toasted 2 lbs of crushed pecans twice, stored in paper bag in between, then soaked in pecan flavored whiskey and added to secondary. (I added them inside a hop strainer to prevent pecan chunks from clogging my lines).

I made a great pecan brown ale. I toasted 2 lbs of crushed pecans twice, stored in paper bag in between, then soaked in pecan flavored whiskey and added to secondary. (I added them inside a hop strainer to prevent pecan chunks from clogging my lines).
Was the paper bag to absorb the oils from the nuts?

A lot of folks here use extracts from here. I've used the Pecan a couple times in a Porter I brew. Always well received. I've also used the Toasted Coconut in a Milk Stout, and the Apricot in a Wheat Beer.

I've also used their flavorings in NA seltzers: Lemon, Cranberry. Both turned out refreshing and kid-safe.

That's what I do:
roast pecans 10 min at 350, store in paper bag 24 hrs
roast again for 10 min at 400 and store overnight in bag again.

Back