Maple cyser idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barzahl

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Since it's apple season I want to do a cyser my plan is;
6 pounds pine barrens honey
64 fl oz maple syrup
15 pounds of apples
Qa23 yeast
Nutrients and go ferm
Pectic enzyme
Water to 5 gallons

Slice the apples then put in a sanitized 5 gallon carboy with 3 gallons of water and pectic enzyme for 24 hours add honey, syrup, water to 5 gallons, mix add rehydrated yeast then one third nutrients aerate every night for the next three days adding the remaining nutrients at first and last aeration racking into secondary after the apple skins lose their colour and pressing the mead out of the apple slices, then leave it until it clears before adjusting and racking into bottles for aging, if I want more maple flavor I can backsweeten with more syrup after stabilizing, it should come out about 12.5%abv.

I was wondering about the honey choice, I used it once and it's spicy and piney very similar to descriptions of European forest honeys, would a more neutral honey be better? I was also wondering about adding anisestar I've heard it adds maple flavor and was thinking of adding it in hopes of a more complex maple flavor, any advice would be appreciated

I would use apple juice rather than sliced apples, or at least use apple juice instead of the water. My understanding is that sliced apples just don't add much flavor.

I can't add anything other than that to this discussion.

Good to know thanks, I was looking at the BOMM post last night and I think I'll do a BOMM cyser with anisestar thrown in and backsweeten with maple syrup maybe age on maple cubes, going to be a few days before I can get the things together, definitely looking forward to trying out an ale yeast

Back