Mangrove Jack west coast yeast (Extract IPA)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoelMueller

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm doing my first temperature controlled ferment this week! But I have concerns.

Here's the recipe:
http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/141043/ipa-9

So, I have a brand spanking new 5.0 cu ft. GE chest freezer in my closet, Johnson temp controller set to 64, dif of 4. Probe well insulated and taped to the side of the bucket, and i've been running it over the past 5 days at 64, with some extra beer in there to stabilize the temperature. So far, seems super stable and only turns on a few times a day.

So on sunday, I brewed a batch of beer with the intention of it being the first temperature controlled batch, super excited because my past batches were at the mercy of ambient temperature and were either too harsh or overly fruity/yeasty.

After brewing, I rehydrated the Mangrove Jack west coast yeast in blood warm water, with a tsb of go-ferm, shook up a few times over the course of 15 minutes while the wort was chilling, and after aerating the wort, pitched it in. Placed the bucket in the freezer. Prayed. This morning, temp is holding at 64, but still zero activity 40 hours later.. so I kinda panicked and pitched a pack of us-05 straight through the bung hole in the lid.

When I get home from work, I expect to see some activity.. eh? Not digging this mangrove jack yeast so far, but i'm also wondering how much of this lag time is due to the low 60's freezer temp?

Same boat here for me, just done first brew in temp controlled fridge (18 degrees)..... I am using the Mangrove craft series M79 Burton Union (10 grams) in a pale ale and didn't see any real activity until tonight, some 50 hours...can be up to 3 days so i found out from a local brewer... It's going strong now though

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Hey chaps,

I use the MG range if yeast. I keep the stored in the freezer. Brew day, take two packs out and let them get to room temperature. I do my grain partial mash. When I start the boil. I heat 230ml of water up to 92 deg F. Sprinkle both packs of yeast over the water, cover with foil and leave in a cool dark place.

Finish the boil, cool the wort. Tap into fermentor and aerate like hell. Then get the yeast mix. Mix into a cream and mix into the wort in the fermentor. If you get a reasonably well aerated wort, bubbling will start in 24 to 36 hours. You will see bubbles forming on the surface of the wort pretty soon after pitching. So RDWHAHB.

I ferment for 14 days in the primary. Temp controlled at 20 deg C. I then remove temp control and mix in finings. I leave this for a further seven days - total 21 in primary. Bottling day, mix in priming sugar and bottle. Leave in bottles for three weeks then drink. So three three for me.

I find the yeast ferments well when following this method.

Cheers,

Craig

Back