My mead has achieved a SG of 0.992 in 14 days, and i need some help with it.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uniique

Reaction score
Hello, this is my second batch of my homebrewing hobby and this is my recipe
Oct 15 Traditional batch 2 (2L)
honey - 570 ml/1022g
water - 1500 ml
Yeast - Mangrove jack MO5 ~2.5g
initial gravity - 1.100
week 2 - 0.992
1698582890736.png
1698582943042.png

So I was the guy who posted My mead stopped bubbling after day 5 and there is no activity inside currently and I studied a lot and I tried another batch and my main focus was setting the temperature right because I thought that was the main reason that my first batch for so messed up ( i got soo many off flavors (fusels?) because of fermenting at 35 C)

So this time, I fermented this carboy inside a vessel of cold water (Temp ranges were from 6C - 29C and i changed waters when it reached 29+C)
this resulted in my carboy staying around 15C+ to >31C (it took around 8 hrs for my mead to go from the lowest and highest temp mentioned)
because of this fermentation happened very slowly and i was able to see activity inside till day 10.

Here is where I need help with

So as there was a constant change in temperatures I am worried if it could have produced stuff other than just alcohol (ethanols,fusels, etc) because I am surprised that I was able to achieve this SG by just regulating the temperature a lot (because i thought temp was the main reason my 1st batch messed up)

and also I have another question, even after 14 days in the primary with an SG of 0.992, but I do not yet see any clarity (my first batch was also very blurry)
so guys, what are your thoughts on this? did I do everything right or should I look out for something?

I wouldn't worry about other stuff other than alcohol having been produced, I can't think of anything that would impact the sg. I had one hit 0.97 before.
Regarding clarity- mead, wines and ciders can take a long amount of time to settle out. I usually leave alone for at least a month to let things settle out after the first transfer from primary to secondary before I think about racking off the lees.

I looks like a lot has dropped to the bottom. With a small size like yours, you can put in into a refrigerator and the cold crashing will help some of the items to drop out to the bottom.

I've had a few cases with unfiltered honey where I needed to use some kind of fining agent to get it to clear. For now, I would say to cold crash it and see how much it clears.

I looks like a lot has dropped to the bottom. With a small size like yours, you can put in into a refrigerator and the cold crashing will help some of the items to drop out to the bottom.

I've had a few cases with unfiltered honey where I needed to use some kind of fining agent to get it to clear. For now, I would say to cold crash it and see how much it clears.
yeah unfiltered honey makes sense, cuz i sourced mine from the mountains in the diff part of my state and it is straight out of the honeycomb

Latest posts

Back