LP Burner in the garage for winter brewing....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hwk-I-St8

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
OK, this is my first winter brewing. It's gets pretty cold here: temps average in the 20's, subzero happens. I'd rather not give up brewing and I've got a plan for chilling without using the garden hose and draining to the driveway. Now I just need to figure out how to safely run my burner in the garage.

Is it sufficient to just open my garage door a few inches for ventilation?

You'll probably get varying opinions on this! Many of us have brewed in the garage and have lived to brew another day. I open both my garage door (a little less than half way. not just a few inches) and the door to my back yard to get some cross draft while the burner is on. I also went to HD and bought a CO2 meter, just in case. I keep mine on a bucket near the burner. You need ventilation, that is obviously paramount.

I also have a kerosene heater I use, and a propane heater that can be used indoors. You'll not escape the cold!!

I don't think I'd go just a few inches, personally.

also depends where your burner is. mine is close to the door and on a windy day opening the door a foot is plenty, but better safe than sorry...
besides you want to vent out the steam as well.
regarding the chilling, I do pretty much the same since I collect the hot water for cleaning in buckets. Only difference is that I dump the water where it's safe instead of down the driveway.

If your propane burner is functioning properly, than it should burn just as clean as natural gas. Flames should be bright blue with no yellow. During the colder months I will brew with the garage door only open 4 - 6". CO detector has never detected anything. I will crack the side door for extra ventilation if it is not windy out though too. If you decide to do so, make sure you have a CO detector in the garage, and proceed at your own risk.

I use NG now, but I used propane in the past. I generally leave the garage door open half way. I also have a plug-in CO2 detector just in case.

The biggest problem with winter brewing is access to water. Once you get into the single digits everything starts to freeze up.

In my opinion cleaning is the biggest pain. If you can't clean everything inside, it can be pretty miserable.

Below is a pic showing how I brew in the garage in the winter. I'm concerned mostly about steam screwing up the inside of the garage, condensing in the insulation, like that.

I rigged up a box fan in a window and created a sort of "hood," using the term loosely, to collect and exhaust the steam. I crack the service door on the opposite corner of the garage to admit 'makeup air' otherwise the fan doesn't really work well.

I put a small propane heater inside the service door and run that while exhausting the steam. It warms up the incoming air enough to keep it in at least the 50's, and when I'm done boiling I close that door, shut off the fan, and shut the window.

It may look like the burner is too close to the wooden bench behind it, but I've felt that with my hand and it's barely warm to touch.

BTW: I don't run that burner without me being there to monitor it. I don't trust it to not suddenly blow out or whatever and now I'm dumping unburned propane into the garage.

kettleexhaustfan.jpg

Last edited:
You'll probably get varying opinions on this! Many of us have brewed in the garage and have lived to brew another day. I open both my garage door (a little less than half way. not just a few inches) and the door to my back yard to get some cross draft while the burner is on. I also went to HD and bought a CO2 meter, just in case. I keep mine on a bucket near the burner. You need ventilation, that is obviously paramount.

I also have a kerosene heater I use, and a propane heater that can be used indoors. You'll not escape the cold!!

I don't think I'd go just a few inches, personally.

In total agreement. Bundle up, and breathe freely.

You need the door to be open more than a crack, to vent off CO and to allow fresh air in (the burner will deplete O2). Don't assume that a propane burner will burn as cleanly as a gas stove.

I brew in my garage in cold weather, but I don't enjoy it. And I won't brew at all on really cold days. If you can have your supplies ready to go, wait until you get a mild day.

Last edited:
I did a brew in my garage once in the winter. Perhaps it's the particular configuration of my garage that led to my problems, but I don't think I will do it again. Since it was winter and VERY cold at that time (which is why I went to the garage, normally I am OK with cold) the walls of the garage were very cold. Even though I had the doors open a bit for ventilation the steam was not moving out fast enough, and shortly after getting a good boil going I had walls that were coated with water from the condensation. It was not a big deal because after brewing I opened the doors wide and the cold dry air took care of the wetness, but I don't know that it was a great idea. The way I see it is just suck it up and brew in the cold. It won't kill ya, and it will allow for great stories of braving the elements for your brew.

I hadn't really considered the steam. My garage has no windows or any other doors except the big garage door. I'm not sure what I'll do about steam. I may just try it and see what happens. I always brew in the garage, but I set everything up so that the burner is right by the door (mostly to vent the heat during warm weather).

I did pick up a CO detector that I was going to plug in and keep low in the room. I do have a stanley squirrel cage fan that I thought about using to force more air exchange.

You need the door to be open more than a crack, to vent off CO and to allow fresh air in (the burner will deplete O2). Don't assume that a propane burner will burn as cleanly as a gas stove.

I brew in my garage in cold weather, but I don't enjoy it. And I won't brew at all on really cold days. If you can have your supplies ready to go, wait until you get a mild day.

+1 on pick and choose your days wisely. I live in Colorado and it's not uncommon to have 50 and 60 degree days in the winter. Case in point, it's supposed to be 60 today and then in the 20's and snow tomorrow so I am going to try and sneak in a brew day this afternoon if I can finish studying (new job and need to get all my licenses...arggggggghhhhhhh!!!!! OK, sorry for the unrelated rant!)

I brew in the garage year-round. I leave the burner outside the garage door, maybe 8-12 inches. I have a work table inside that I use to hold the mash tun and HLT, within reach of hoses draining to my kettle. I open the garage door only when I'm heating water or boiling. It helps the garage door is on the leeward side of the house too. It's cold but blocks the wind. I get around the garden hose freezing by using an extra cooler full of ice from the office ice maker and a pond pump. I can bring the kettle and everything inside and close the door during chilling.

Yeah, I'd definitely suggest getting the door opened up a little more than that... Maybe 2-3' would do it. Also rig up a fan in the garage. Not necessarily blowing at you or at the door, but to promote air exchange. That along with a CO meter should be fine for the limited amount you get from one burner.

I brew in my garage all the time, I have one window and a side door for a cross breeze when I have the garage door open about two feet. When it is 20 out here in WNY, the wort chills fairly quickly.

I usually have my kettle by the doorway. For the steam, what if I have the garage door about 2' higher than the top of the kettle. Then clip an old shower curtain to my brew table (farther inside the garage than the kettle, over the kettle, and clipped to the bottom of the partially open garage door. It would be at a 30-45 degree angle up and outside. If I clip it less than full width on the garage door, it will make an angled chute to funnel steam outside.

Thoughts?

i brew in the garage year-round. i open the back door to the yard to keep condensation from building up. works fine even in single-digit temps, but here in idaho the air is probably drier than back east.

I usually have my kettle by the doorway. For the steam, what if I have the garage door about 2' higher than the top of the kettle. Then clip an old shower curtain to my brew table (farther inside the garage than the kettle, over the kettle, and clipped to the bottom of the partially open garage door. It would be at a 30-45 degree angle up and outside. If I clip it less than full width on the garage door, it will make an angled chute to funnel steam outside.

Thoughts?

You'll get condensation on that shower curtain, assuming you don't melt it.

At that point, why not just brew outside the garage dooR?

I brew in my garage year round. Its a dual bay Morton building. I usually just leave the side walk in door open and occasionally will turn on a fan and/or crack the garage doors. There is also a large wall mounted propane heater in there that runs occasionally. I should probably get a CO meter but, even with both running, I’ve not had any problems yet.

The only issue for me has been steam in the winter freezing on the windows. I usually walk back and forth to the house enough to grab stuff or clean fermenters that I only spend about half of the brew day in the garage.

While steam / condensation is an issue as I said, don't sweat it.
winter air is very dry (absolute). so as soon as you have some circulation and the garage warms up (which happens with an attached garage if you like it or not), it dries it out pretty quickly.
the only reason I brought it up, is because you need to be aware and check for it.
Myself, I just open the door a bit more after the boil is full on; that's it.

I brew in my unheated garage up here in Vermont. I have a gable fan usually used for attics. I also have a tub sink w/ H & C water. I can shut off & drain the water lines to prevent freezing. The garage is uninsulated and not exactly airtight, so venting steam & CO has not been a problem. Not easy when it gets to single digits & spills can quickly turn into a skating rink, but I've done it often.

Since I don’t have a garage, I don’t worry much about condensation. [emoji1417]
I brew 100% outside and just brew. My hose run is long and I just let it trickle in my outdoor sink. Guess I’m a fool, but I’ve never been knocked out by the cold.

I just wait for a day close to freezing and brew on the patio. High in the 20s is ok to brew. Just wear some layers. I have a frost proof faucet so chilling isn't a problem. The water can go on the yard. One thing I still need is a good pair of ice fishing gloves.

For brewing I'd rather it be cold than hot and/or windy.

While steam / condensation is an issue as I said, don't sweat it.
winter air is very dry (absolute). so as soon as you have some circulation and the garage warms up (which happens with an attached garage if you like it or not), it dries it out pretty quickly.
the only reason I brought it up, is because you need to be aware and check for it.
Myself, I just open the door a bit more after the boil is full on; that's it.

Agree. When I brew in my garage, my hygrometer is usually in the mid-high 60% RH. Its not going to damage anything, but some people like to make things more complex or harder.

I brewed in the garage for years in Chicago. I’d just get cross ventilation going and use a co2 detector for insurance. I never set off the detector. You can reduce your boil off rate a bit if your really concerned with humidity or just open the door more during a rolling boil.

As previously stated, a good working burner doesn't produce much CO, the main byproducts from the combustion are CO2 and water vapor , and obviously , combustion consumes O2. I'd feel safe with a CO and O2 depletion alarm.

Also, Don't forget about your tools and other belongings inside the garage that can collect moisture and rust/corrode before they dry out completely. If you're going to brew inside in the winter, you definitely need some sort of exhaust fan.

So I've also wondered about this, however my situation is slightly different.. I live in sunny San Diego CA, but I'd like to brew in my garage to hide from the wind, be in the shade, and multiple other reasons. I have a three keggle, single tier system, with two large bayou classic banjo burners, is that too much to have inside a garage?

I brew in my garage, never had the CO alarm go off or the O2 sensor on the vent free propane heater shut it down. I open 2 windows part way and during the boil I crack the entry door open 2 inches for more air intake. I do have a fairly large garage though at 24x30x10 high inside so lots of air...

Not to high jack but OP mentioned a plan to chill without using outside hoses. Can I ask what that plan is because I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to do that this winter.

I brew in my basement with LP. I vent the steam out a window using an exhaust hood and fan and I haven’t had any issues. The only thing I don’t do is keep the LP tank in the basement when I’m not using it. Safety and precautions are a necessity, of course, but my CO meter has never registered any increase in levels.

Brew in garage all the time, year round (Massachusetts), door closed, small garage window usually closed but sometimes open when it's hot out; entrance side door usually open.

Thing is, I don't park myself out there. "Brewing is a several hours of boredom punctuated by a few periods of panic" after all (citation unknown). And if you've brewed a few times you know you have 18 minutes after starting the heat before strike temp reached, or 12 minutes after pulling BIAB bag starting heat before boil over (NEVER EVER EVER WAIT 13 minutes to check -- EVER). SO I go back inside and start siphoning the last batch, or get a cup of coffee, or rearrange my paperclip collection.

Brew in garage all the time, year round (Massachusetts), door closed, small garage window usually closed but sometimes open when it's hot out; entrance side door usually open.

Thing is, I don't park myself out there. "Brewing is a several hours of boredom punctuated by a few periods of panic" after all (citation unknown). And if you've brewed a few times you know you have 18 minutes after starting the heat before strike temp reached, or 12 minutes after pulling BIAB bag starting heat before boil over (NEVER EVER EVER WAIT 13 minutes to check -- EVER). SO I go back inside and start siphoning the last batch, or get a cup of coffee, or rearrange my paperclip collection.

Pic of paperclip collection?

I used to make it a point to brew on the coldest day possible here in Michigan. My record brew day was -15°F. Bundle up, open the garage door and fire that thing up. Make a big barleywine and treat yourself to a hot scotchy!

I brew in my garage so the time. My 2 burner setup is close to the door. The door is open about 6-8" (16' x 7'), I also have a window, and a separate entry door I'll crack open in the cold. I'll set up a folding table next to my burner to hold my other brew gear, supplies, grains, hops, ect.... I try to think ahead and get everything in place, cleaned prior to brewing. For a 5 gallon batch I'll have 8 gallons of water ready to go in gallon jugs. So far no issues. Oh, and for chilling in the winter I'll use the laundry room of the garage for my chilling water. I put a Y adapter on my cold water Port.

For cleaning after,I added a slop sink in my basement to make things easier.

Back