looking for pump input!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone pumped a significant amount of wort through one of these, and taken it apart to see if there was any corrosion?

Was responding to this question

The totally enclosed motor is waterproof, I take it

Chuggers seem like a great deal but rarely available and now that they went global it might be worse. They really need to ramp production, great product is only great when you can get one. Kids and families mean life happens and it's easier for consumers to buy when they have extra money than when the product happens to be available. That's why I went with a March pump as my main pump...when I was ready to buy I could get it anywhere.

Has anyone gotten an update on their pump? Originally they were scheduled in by June. Last week they said they would ship by end of this week. Seems like they've over promise under delivered. They still have my money so I'll just sit on my thumbs.

Has anyone gotten an update on their pump? Originally they were scheduled in by June. Last week they said they would ship by end of this week. Seems like they've over promise under delivered. They still have my money so I'll just sit on my thumbs.

I've used these pumps on 4 batches so far. 2 of the 4 batches are finished and I've been drinking them. So far so good.

I haven't broken it apart to look for anything, but I'm happy so far.

by the way, I have the brass version.

I have yet to hear anything about my stainless version either... and I ordered six weeks ago.

You could go with couplers of the ports into some nipples and either hang it or support it with some pipe clamps an threaded rod.

I have read a little of this thread hear and there. Why do people get bent out of shape about a secondary, but say nothing about how ****ty false bottoms and other systems are. Good system no stuck sparge. I built my own with copper and a thousand small holes. I can pump out of a large mash full blast with no problem.

I have read a little of this thread hear and there. Why do people get bent out of shape about a secondary, but say nothing about how ****ty false bottoms and other systems are. Good system no stuck sparge. I built my own with copper and a thousand small holes. I can pump out of a large mash full blast with no problem.

O man, I want a cool setup like yours!!!!!!!

barmyarmy said:

Amen

Any word on when or if they have started shipping the SS version? I have emailed them and so far no response. The lack of communication is starting to really bother me.

BigChas said:
Any word on when or if they have started shipping the SS version? I have emailed them and so far no response. The lack of communication is starting to really bother me.

Amen!!

+ 1 to above.

I got a response from Scott on June 1st stating pre orders would ship following week. Also Hbt rep, not sure if same person, stated on 2nd they would ship following week.

That week has come and passed with no update. Now I know they shipped brass version so I don't doubt their validity, just an update would be nice or more accurate timeline.

I think the least they should do is update their web site or post here on the shipment status. If they are running late, so be it, but let us know. I have an uneazy feeling about this. Maybe just the pesimistic side of me.

Just remember not to go over 45 days, after that you can no longer file a claim with paypal.

Probly just impatient like myself :)

they did sign in on the seventh though, should of taken 30sec and post an update

I'm for new companies that deliver great products at a great price. But I can't waist away brew days wondering if they will ship products. Please update us!

We finally got the pumps with some delays, they were getting power supplies added and magnet coated which has taken us a bit longer than we had expected. End result is the last process (Coating Magnet) is in process on a large volume of pumps, as they come out of that process we will be shipping to oldest orders first.
Thank you all for your patients...

From this point out we have 500 pumps and can ship in 24 hours thats the upside :)

ps,

I read the paypal comments,

it cost us nothing to issue a refund and u re-order so don't worry if you are getting there.

Also we are a 17 year old company but new to this industry, we are well financed and you can sleep at night.

GreatBrewEh.com

Just wanted to say thank you for the respectable update. I'll admit I even pmed others to see if they got responses. Fingers crossed that I was one for the earlier pre orders. Also offering to refund and re order is top notch, just gotta work on updates :) Another option would be to take pre order deposits for future offerings, rather than full payment. Might help ease some expectations, as many like myself assumed your countdowns were accurate. Can't wait to get me pumps and review them, as well as look forward to the conical and kettle offerings in the future.

PS.....

Our magnet ended up being coated with an FDA USA approved food GRADE not rated coating which I know was a concern to many. We are happy to say you can put the coating issue to bed...... finally lol

GreatBrewEh.com

Just wanted to say thank you for the respectable update. I'll admit I even pmed others to see if they got responses. Fingers crossed that I was one for the earlier pre orders. Also offering to refund and re order is top notch, just gotta work on updates :) Another option would be to take pre order deposits for future offerings, rather than full payment. Might help ease some expectations, as many like myself assumed your countdowns were accurate. Can't wait to get me pumps and review them, as well as look forward to the conical and kettle offerings in the future.

Yes I agree, really the money was never the issue but rather the possible price increase (which i am fighting tooth and nail) due to the evolving product as we know from another use... If I could have known that we would be delayed with every single supplier involved with these pumps I would have delay even mentioning the stainless Steel versions, but as a salesmen by trade you wanna share the good news with everyone...

GreatBrewEh.com

BeerPumpsEtc said:
PS.....

Our magnet ended up being coated with an FDA USA approved food GRADE not rated coating which I know was a concern to many. We are happy to say you can put the coating issue to bed...... finally lol

Good to hear, but could you please let us know the name of the product used to coat the magnets?

There are a few examples of FDA-approved stuff that I can think of, which in both my opinion and expert opinion should never have been approved. For instance, BOTH expert panels that reviewed aspartame (which I mentioned earlier) for the FDA's approval process strongly recommended *against* approval, but they rubber-stamped it anyways. And it's no wonder it was recommended against, when it's well-documented - ie NOT a conspiracy theory - that aspartame partially metabolizes to methyl alcohol, aka METHANOL. And this methyl alcohol is oxidized by the liver to the methyl aldehyde, better known as FORMALDEHYDE, by the same enzyme group - alcohol dehydrogenase - that converts the ethyl alcohol which we so love to produce and consume (ethanol), to the ethyl aldehyde, usually referred to as acetaldehyde. They are further oxidized to the methyl and ethyl carboxylic acids, commonly called formic acid and acetic acid (vinegar), respectively. Granted, the methanol is produced in fairly low amounts, but if I'm going to use a sweetener, I'd much rather choose something like Splenda and just avoid the methanol/formaldehyde all together.

So why mention all this? Because I prefer to be an informed consumer. I don't totally ignore the FDA's and Health Canada's product approvals, but I don't just blindly accept them either - they are human organizations, and thus aren't perfect. Sometimes they approve products against expert recommendation (as was the case with aspartame), and other times a product has their approval eventually revoked, even with the writing having been on the wall for a substantial amount of time before this happens. Merely knowing something is considered food grade is not enough to make me feel comfortable about it, when I don't know what the actual product is, thus preventing me from being able to make an informed decision. Usually this isn't an issue though as the law typically requires disclosure of such things in most cases (natural compounds or ingredients in certain types of products are often an exception, unless explicitly specified).

And the thing is, many homebrewers are the same way... far more than the average consumer. Hell, some are homebrewers BECAUSE they are the same way. I am interested in your pumps, but I just can't buy something that exposes me to a product that I don't know, ESPECIALLY when it'll be in contact - at hot temperatures no less - with something that I consume on a regular basis. Obviously it's not proprietary, and I'm quite sure any manufacturer could find the coating or something similar with just a bit of research (you're hardly the first company to coat magnets), so keeping it secret from competitors is hardly a legitimate concern.

Every other pump I've looked into openly lists *all* materials that come into contact with the liquid. Indeed, I have a fairly complex higher-end electronic brewery, with hundreds of components, and I know EVERY single material that touches my wort or beer. And in fact, I can count them all on *one hand*. Again, I'm hardly the only brewer concerned with this all this. MANY brewers spend thousands to put together a brewery with only stainless, glass, and silicone (and often Teflon) coming into contact, and I can assure you that not a single one of them is going to suddenly put an unknown product in their brewery just to save a hundred bucks or so, regardless of whether or not the seller insists it's food-grade. And while I don't personally doubt you (yet), as far as potential buyers are concerned the product might not even be food grade, since all people have to go on is the word of an unfamiliar seller, if you don't disclose the product name.

So help us out here - hell, help *yourself* out here - and just let potential (and realized) buyers know the coating that would be coming in contact with their wort. We don't need an "ingredients" list or a detailed product breakdown... just the name of the product, and those of us that are concerned can do the due diligence necessary to make an informed decision. I'm reasonably certain the product is safe and that there's little to worry about, but I and (again) MANY others are not going to take that chance when such a considerable volume of wort/beer that comes into contact is going to be consumed by us and our loved ones, often on a daily basis. Just a product name to give customers some peace of mind... it really ain't asking much.

Good to hear, but could you please let us know the name of the product used to coat the magnets?

There are a few examples of FDA-approved stuff that I can think of, which in both my opinion and expert opinion should never have been approved. For instance, BOTH expert panels that reviewed aspartame (which I mentioned earlier) for the FDA's approval process strongly recommended *against* approval, but they rubber-stamped it anyways. And it's no wonder it was recommended against, when it's well-documented - ie NOT a conspiracy theory - that aspartame partially metabolizes to methyl alcohol, aka METHANOL. And this methyl alcohol is oxidized by the liver to the methyl aldehyde, better known as FORMALDEHYDE, by the same enzyme group - alcohol dehydrogenase - that converts the ethyl alcohol which we so love to produce and consume (ethanol), to the ethyl aldehyde, usually referred to as acetaldehyde. They are further oxidized to the methyl and ethyl carboxylic acids, commonly called formic acid and acetic acid (vinegar), respectively. Granted, the methanol is produced in fairly low amounts, but if I'm going to use a sweetener, I'd much rather choose something like Splenda and just avoid the methanol/formaldehyde all together.

So why mention all this? Because I prefer to be an informed consumer. I don't totally ignore the FDA's and Health Canada's product approvals, but I don't just blindly accept them either - they are human organizations, and thus aren't perfect. Sometimes they approve products against expert recommendation (as was the case with aspartame), and other times a product has their approval eventually revoked, even with the writing having been on the wall for a substantial amount of time before this happens. Merely knowing something is considered food grade is not enough to make me feel comfortable about it, when I don't know what the actual product is, thus preventing me from being able to make an informed decision. Usually this isn't an issue though as the law typically requires disclosure of such things in most cases (natural compounds or ingredients in certain types of products are often an exception, unless explicitly specified).

And the thing is, many homebrewers are the same way... far more than the average consumer. Hell, some are homebrewers BECAUSE they are the same way. I am interested in your pumps, but I just can't buy something that exposes me to a product that I don't know, ESPECIALLY when it'll be in contact - at hot temperatures no less - with something that I consume on a regular basis. Obviously it's not proprietary, and I'm quite sure any manufacturer could find the coating or something similar with just a bit of research (you're hardly the first company to coat magnets), so keeping it secret from competitors is hardly a legitimate concern.

Every other pump I've looked into openly lists *all* materials that come into contact with the liquid. Indeed, I have a fairly complex higher-end electronic brewery, with hundreds of components, and I know EVERY single material that touches my wort or beer. And in fact, I can count them all on *one hand*. Again, I'm hardly the only brewer concerned with this all this. MANY brewers spend thousands to put together a brewery with only stainless, glass, and silicone (and often Teflon) coming into contact, and I can assure you that not a single one of them is going to suddenly put an unknown product in their brewery just to save a hundred bucks or so, regardless of whether or not the seller insists it's food-grade. And while I don't personally doubt you (yet), as far as potential buyers are concerned the product might not even be food grade, since all people have to go on is the word of an unfamiliar seller, if you don't disclose the product name.

So help us out here - hell, help *yourself* out here - and just let potential (and realized) buyers know the coating that would be coming in contact with their wort. We don't need an "ingredients" list or a detailed product breakdown... just the name of the product, and those of us that are concerned can do the due diligence necessary to make an informed decision. I'm reasonably certain the product is safe and that there's little to worry about, but I and (again) MANY others are not going to take that chance when such a considerable volume of wort/beer that comes into contact is going to be consumed by us and our loved ones, often on a daily basis. Just a product name to give customers some peace of mind... it really ain't asking much.

Inspired by emjay's massive missive, I decided to advance the cause by submitting the coating on my magnet to high-performance liquid chromatography to determine its constituents. Turn out that the coating is aspartame based! Food Grade! Sweet! Confronted with this information, greatbreweh.com indicated that they will be addressing this, and all future concerns by including a free tinfoil hat with each pump purchased.

CousinDupree said:
Inspired by emjay's massive missive, I decided to advance the cause by submitting the coating on my magnet to high-performance liquid chromatography to determine its constituents. Turn out that the coating is aspartame based! Food Grade! Sweet! Confronted with this information, greatbreweh.com indicated that they will be addressing this, and all future concerns by including a free tinfoil hat with each pump purchased.

:)

Would you believe I typed that on my phone? Didn't realize it was so long.

I received communication from GreatBrewEh yesterday stating my SS pump would be shipped this coming Monday. Rad.

Hey all, I have had to send this to a few fellow eager brewers please respect this rule to be fair to all.

Also we do check before the contest is drawn, best part about today's technology is that is very easy to do.

Sent recently to fellow brewer...

"We understand that you want to win our contest but we ask that you only submit one entry per month which is a rule we enforce.

We do not want to cut anyone out of our giveaways which trust me they are going to get much bigger.

We track postal codes, addresses, names and emails and therefore remove all duplicated entries.

This is a very fair warning as month after month you have not respected our contest policy, this is a final plea to respect this rule and only submit one entry per month.

Thank you in advance for your future respect and we really wish you the best of luck."

PS yes we did start shipping pumps today.... Finally, all pre-orders will be shipped by Thursday so check paypal for tracking numbers.

Getting restless for my setup to come together. I got my email for the SS version, brew stand is almost done by local person. about to order Cam locks. Can someone who has received pump/s confirm if a ball valve is needed on the outlet of the pump? Are these pumps capable to fill from bottom up (Pump from HTL to MT via ball valve or have to go over the top)? can't decide if the flow from MT to BK needs to be throttled down or not. Thanks in advance!

I recently picked up the ebay solar pump and did a test run with the pump directly attached to the kettle ball valve using cam locks. Also picked up a 12V 1amp wall wort and mating connector form monoprice ($4 + shipping) to power the pump.

Once the pump was primed, I was able to reduce the output flow easily with the kettle ball valve on the input side of the pump. Ideally, this restriction would be created with a second valve on the output side of the pump. I could also fully close the inlet valve, reopen the valve, and the pump would stay primed recirculating water through the plate chiller and back into the kettle. Keep in mind that this test was with room temp water and not boiling wort.

This pump should work great for my application.

I recently picked up the ebay solar pump and did a test run with the pump directly attached to the kettle ball valve using cam locks. Also picked up a 12V 1amp wall wort and mating connector form monoprice ($4 + shipping) to power the pump.

Once the pump was primed, I was able to reduce the output flow easily with the kettle ball valve on the input side of the pump. Ideally, this restriction would be created with a second valve on the output side of the pump. I could also fully close the inlet valve, reopen the valve, and the pump would stay primed recirculating water through the plate chiller and back into the kettle. Keep in mind that this test was with room temp water and not boiling wort.

This pump should work great for my application.

I too am using the ball valve before the input of the pump to restrict my flow. However, I wonder if it wouldn't be better to restrict the output so as to not mess with the pump's prime.

I don't actually have an answer to that, but I'm sure someone else could chime in on it.

Back