March pump fittings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joewalla88

Reaction score
So, a few years ago I was given two of these March pumps, but I've never used them because I don't have the fittings, and everytime I look online for them I get confused and give up. Does anyone else have something like these, and what fittings do I need to start using them? Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231129_145432_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231129_145432_Chrome.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 0
That's a strong beer pump, should serve you well. The inlet connection is 1 inch female pipe thread, and the outlet is 1/2 inch male pipe thread. So you need fittings with a 1" male on the input side and 1/2" female on the outlet side.

https://www.marchpump.com/wp-conten...-series-5-beer-pump-manual-0750-0976-1100.pdfhttps://www.marchpump.com/wp-conten...-pump-general-installation-guide-0750-040.pdf
Cheers!
Thanks! I actually found this shortly after I posted. I don't know why I didn't think to look up the actual pump specs. So, just a simple 1" mpt, and 1/2" fpt? I don't need to get too fancy with camlocks and stuff do I?

I don't need to get too fancy with camlocks and stuff do I?
I've put 1/2" camlocks on my pump. Not to be fancy, just makes it to easy to connect or isolate it that way. 1/2" male on the input, 1/2" male on the valve output.*
All my hoses are female, on both ends.

* I stuck a 1/2" valve on the pump output to regulate flow.

put a ball valve directly atop the output using a 1/2" close nipple.
He doesn't need a close nipple on the output. The Polysulfone (male) threads will fit directly into a 1/2" NPT 3-piece valve. Do use a thick layer of teflon tape for thread "lubrication" and to prevent damage to them by (sharp) stainless threads.

On top the valve outlet, stick a (1/2") male Camlock.

I wish someone would give me a free March pump like those.

You're a lucky person!
Yeah, it was kinda crazy. There was a guy who owned a small brewery, but had to close it down because he was moving out of the country. He was selling off a bunch of stuff. I just went to buy some grain cuz he was selling 50lb bags for like 10 bucks.he sent me off with the grain, these two pumps for free, and a grain mill for free too. Right place right time I guess.

What size brew system do you have? These pumps are powerful.
I just do 5 gallon batches, but the past couple years ive switch to Biab. Right now I do a lot of lifting and moving full pots, and I'm honestly just getting tired of that.

I'd recommend you sell both of those pumps. To put it in perspective, homebrewing pumps for 5-15 gallon batches are around 1/20th HP. Those pumps you have are 1/8th HP. During a normal recirculation or whirlpool phase in a 5 gallon batch, you'll have to regulate that pump down to like 5% of it's native power, which is hard to do.

Revision. If you use corny kegs, keep one of those pumps to make a keg washer and sell the other one. Use that money to buy a Topsflo TD5 for the brewing side. I'd even trade you a brand new TD5 pump for one of those as long as it's in working order.

I'd recommend you sell both of those pumps. To put it in perspective, homebrewing pumps for 5-15 gallon batches are around 1/20th HP. Those pumps you have are 1/8th HP. During a normal recirculation or whirlpool phase in a 5 gallon batch, you'll have to regulate that pump down to like 5% of it's native power, which is hard to do.

Revision. If you use corny kegs, keep one of those pumps to make a keg washer and sell the other one. Use that money to buy a Topsflo TD5 for the brewing side. I'd even trade you a brand new TD5 pump for one of those as long as it's in working order.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll look onto that. I was thinking of selling one anyway.

Doing a little digging, and can't find much on these as far as used prices. How much do you think I could get for these?

Thanks for the heads up. I'll look onto that. I was thinking of selling one anyway.

They're still mag-coupled, why can't he just throttle the output and let the coupler slip?
I did notice they are capacitor-start, are they self priming?

NM, the March website has the answers: https://www.marchpump.com/wp-conten...-series-5-beer-pump-manual-0750-0976-1100.pdf

Last edited:
They can be throttled via restricting the output (or recirculation, which is cooler :)) but as @Bobby_M said the degree of throttling would be crazy high with equally high wort-shearing forces for the length of recirculation...

Cheers!
What if I just plug it into one of those speed control plugins? Is that oversimplifying this?

I've never used a speed controller, I know they were popular for things like power tools especially routers, but I don't know how they work with the type of utility motors used on pumps. Maybe someone has some experience with them...

Cheers!

Back