looking for pump input!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I ordered 2 pumps last Sunday. No shipping info yet emailed and got no reply. Based on the feedback I assume that I will eventually get them. I have seen a number of posts both here and on other forums that indicate that they work and no major complaints about the threads/leaking. Trying to decide now whether to email requesting refund and then dispute with PayPal if no response and buy one chugger/march.

Advice from those that have received theirs and used npt fittings. Also will be pumping through a plate heat exchanger has anyone done this..I'm not too concerned with low flow rate only concerned that I might get no flow.

CS223 said:
I put camlocks on my pump. The fit is tight and my plan is to get a 1/2 NPT pipe die and chase the threads on the pump for a better fit. It works fine otherwise and doesn't leak. Here's a few pics to give an idea of thread engagement.

Thank you for your response, this is exactly what I was looking for.
Note to self: lots of Teflon tape and tighten like crazy

So I ordered 2 pumps last Sunday. No shipping info yet emailed and got no reply. Based on the feedback I assume that I will eventually get them. I have seen a number of posts both here and on other forums that indicate that they work and no major complaints about the threads/leaking. Trying to decide now whether to email requesting refund and then dispute with PayPal if no response and buy one chugger/march.

Advice from those that have received theirs and used npt fittings. Also will be pumping through a plate heat exchanger has anyone done this..I'm not too concerned with low flow rate only concerned that I might get no flow.

You won't have any problem, I'm pumping though this plate chiller without issue.

When I have a chance to chase mine with a 1/2 NPT die, I'll post an update.

Thanks I have the 30 plate short version so that should have less resistance. I'll let it ride. Do let me know how rethreading works out for you as I have access to threading dies

BrotherGrim said:
Anybody have solid information on the lead times and deliveries? I am interested but leery of reliability of vendor.

I ordered 2 pumps on July 2nd and received them today. There was no order confirmation or shipping notification provided.

Got mine today. Never got any correspondence from greatbreweh even sent an email to their PayPal address. The 1/2" npt fittings fit tight and don't thread on very far but I was able to get it leak free. Pushes well through my plate chiller and back up to the pot. I used 1/2" tubing to ensure less restriction. I will probably do a PBW recirc for an hour tomorrow to see how much crud I can dislodge from the last year of plate chiller use with no pump. I can definately recommend the pump with the caveats that they don't have real/good npt threads and that the company that sells them doesnt give a damn. Real convenient for my set up as I don't have a place for mounting a march/chugger and I got 2 for the price of one of the others.

I placed an order for two pumps via PayPal last week and got an email confirmation from paypal today saying the pumps have shipped. I called three times leaving voicemails and sent two emails trying to purchase silicone tubing with my order and to purchase directly via Visa. Didn't get a return call or email. I just don't think this outfit is much for customer service.
You probably get what you pay for, these aren't March pumps and I think it would be foolish to think you are going to pay half the cost and get the same quality product or service. But for those on a strict budget like me this is probably as good a deal as we can expect.

I actually got a reply from my second email (sent to the PayPal address rather than their custom service address). They said oh yeah we shipped them never updated PayPal (weird since they tell everyone to check PayPal for shipping info) got the reply email and updated PayPal info tight shipping 2 days after the pumps were delivered. The threads are definately not compatible with NPT but I got fittings on leak free. I think the pump itself is a pretty good pump but the threaded fittings and the service suck. Going to send an email that the threads don't fit my NPT fittings and see if I get a reply (doubt I will)

Anyone have one of the stainless steel versions with BSP threads and not able to get some sort of leak proof seal?

I plan on putting together a single tier system and would prefer to get 2 pumps instead of march pump....however the 50 state sale at austin homebrew hits the state my mailbox is tomorrow and can't make up my mind whether to order an 815 from them or 2 of these pumps from greatbreweh.

Anyone have one of the stainless steel versions with BSP threads and not able to get some sort of leak proof seal?

I plan on putting together a single tier system and would prefer to get 2 pumps instead of march pump....however the 50 state sale at austin homebrew hits the state my mailbox is tomorrow and can't make up my mind whether to order an 815 from them or 2 of these pumps from greatbreweh.

As stated watermelons to grapes. If you are building a full blown brewing system, buy a March or Chugger, use quick couplings until you can afford the second pump. If you are working with a low budget or minimalist counter top Brutus type system, the greatbrew pump will work.

The main selling point for me was the ability to hang these pumps in line with camlocks. I don't have a good spot to put a march or chugger and keep it away from water. I would have had to build a pump tool box and this was way easier and cheaper. If I ever build a brew stand I will buy a march or chugger.

I think what some folks are forgetting is that these 12V pumps are not in same class as March and Chugger pumps. The work well for most brewing applications and are inexpensive. They have a few drawbacks with no mounting bracket and needing 12V power supply but still workable brewing pump. Remember to compare apples to apples. One thing I like about these pumps is I have had zero problems with cavitation, something I cannot say about my March 815 (even with larger impeller and input at 6 o'clock position it still happens from time to time).

Food grade argument will continue forever but remember millions of homes have galvanized pipes but we don't think twice about drinking water or cooking in aluminum pots or reheating leftovers in a plastic container that probably still contains toxins that cause cancer in laboratory animals when they are fed pounds of it. Brass fittings are used everywhere and we don't think about it or don't care until we want to brew with it. Tear apart a few coffee makers and you'll find brass.

I am inline to get a chugger pump. I guess they are getting another shipment in the first part of March.

Considering this is July that is not quick. lol. I got an email from them this morning when I enquired, 8/28 they told me. I have yet to see them actually hit a target date either. So i think i will have to go in another direction. I currently run 1 march 809 center inlet. I was really hoping to spend a little less to just recirc my HLT.

There are two sellers of these pumps on eBay that have the brass models with correct NPT threads and they both ship right away. I got mine there and happy with pump and service.

There are two sellers of these pumps on eBay that have the brass models with correct NPT threads and they both ship right away. I got mine there and happy with pump and service.

Not 100% certain but I believe the solar pumps sold on eBay don't have the magnets coated. Seem to recall reading that somewhere. Greatbrew is removing the impeller/magnet and having them coated with food grade silicone. Don't know how important it is, just bringing it to your attention.

They don't bother me and no one tastes anything different about my beers, these pumps are all made for home water systems and most importantly I got my pumps within 5 days.

Just checking in after 4 brews with these pumps, no major problems. I did have an issue with the threads as posted earlier. I have managed to stop any leaks with an extra 2 wraps of Teflon tape on the first part of the threads. I must say how nice it is not having to lift hot strike and sparge water up a ladder anymore. I dont use it for anything else other than moving hot water around. Might even use it to pump hot water to an old Immersion Chiller in the Mash Tun as a modified HERMS. You cant beat the price and my back is so happy. BTW I have not noticed any off flavors. Cheers

Just did my first brew with this pump today pumped through the plate chiller back into the boil kettle. Got it cooled like a champ

I ordered one of these yesterday. I received a shipping notice and tracking today. I'm not sure what I'll use it for just yet. I may use it for whirlpooling or since it is so small, I may attach it to my brew cart and use it in the RIMS. It only has to pump 24-inches max.

chuggerpumps said:
8-23 on new Chuggers

Is preordering necessary, or will you have more than enough? I'm hoping to get an honest answer from a guy who has every reason to say the former, regardless of the truth. :eek:

And does preordering require immediate payment, or are we only charged when it ships?

I have no idea what you mean?

"I'm hoping to get an honest answer from a guy who has every reason to say the former, regardless of the truth. :eek:" ??????

we are not doing pre orders.....several thousand expected in on 8-23..this is the scheduled date as of right now ..this can change ...

Is preordering necessary, or will you have more than enough? I'm hoping to get an honest answer from a guy who has every reason to say the former, regardless of the truth. :eek:

And does preordering require immediate payment, or are we only charged when it ships?

we are not doing pre orders.....several thousand expected in on 8-23..this is the scheduled date as of right now ..this can change ...

Getting a good quantity of both the PS and the SS pump heads I assume? In the market for two SS CI pumps, now that I know the date I can stop checking chuggerpumps.com twice a day :)

Just shoot me an email at [email protected] will put you on the notification list which will inlcude pre notification once we know the in warehouse date for the pumps. Sorry for the wait ..we are striving to keep cost down and supplies up.

Getting a good quantity of both the PS and the SS pump heads I assume? In the market for two SS CI pumps, now that I know the date I can stop checking chuggerpumps.com twice a day :)

My pump arrived yesterday. It looks and feels like a nice little pump. I'll get around to using it in a couple of months when the weather cools down. I ordered it on Aug 1.

To echo, do you have a link? I like the idea of these pumps and personally don't really care about brass vs. ss....but don't want to deal with odd threadings....arriving with NPT would be nice and more than make up for brass fittings, if that's what's needed...

My pump arrived yesterday. It looks and feels like a nice little pump. I'll get around to using it in a couple of months when the weather cools down. I ordered it on Aug 1.

Hello again,
Yesterday, I decided to take this thing out of the box and have a closer look. I started to attach some fittings and camlocks and the first thing I noticed were the stainless threads were a bit mangled on the input side. Whoever is adding those fittings is a bit sloppy. It's almost like they used pliers to attach those things. I think I can straighten them out enough to get a fitting sealed with some teflon tape. I think it will need some gravity to prime it which is no problem for my use. I may get around to filling a vessel today and connect by camlock to see if it is going to pump. I did plug it in briefly to make sure it worked and it did. The noise was an unpleasant, loud screech. I poured some water into the hose on the input side and that stopped. This won't be a powerful pump, but I can see it's usefulness and I have something in mind.

Thought I would take a chance and order one of these.

Ordered 23 July
Shipped (Per Pay-Pal Notice) 30 July
Delivered to Houston, TX 6 August

Hooked the pump up to a keggle yesterday, thread difference issue is not difficult to work around...no leaks! Recirculated PBW for about 60 minutes pump worked as adviertised. I will be ordering another soon!

So, I connected this pump to my kettle and it does not work. There were no instructions with it at all. But I have to assume that the input side is on the top and flows in the direction of the arrow that is molded into it. I'm going to try contacting the company about this and hopefully, I'll get some answers.

EDIT
DOH! I made an idiot error! The pump will pump with headspace, but the pump itself has to be at or below the level of the output side of the kettle. I realized that the second I walked back to my kettle and saw the pump sitting next to it. I've been using a Teel Pump for moving wort since the 90s and I'm sure it would not pump either if I raised it above the kettle.

I ran a quick test on my new greatbreweh pump last night. General impressions:

Almost too quiet. Will be nice when it is running for a long period of time and not making a racket, but conversely you will need to watch it more closely in case there is a problem as you wouldnt hear that anything is wrong.

Threads were definitely not Npt and I couldn't get my fittings on very far. But I also did not notice any leakage.

The pump seemed to have a problem getting fully primed at first and barely pushed a trickle of water through. Then something resolved itself and suddenly it was going full bore. Not sure what that was about, but not overly concerned at this point.

Best mounting option looks to be using a 1.5" U-bolt which slides over the pump just perfectly.

Won't have a chance to run a full boil hour long test for another week or so, but will report back once I do.

I have the version sold on ebay as a solar pump (has the brass connectors and the stock impeller). I used it for the first time this past weekend to circulate during cooling and it had no issue with the break and hop fragments (pellets though).

I feel like the robot in Lost in Space. WARNING! WARNING! These pumps come with "bsp" thread. Just try to find a proper fittings. NPT will go on for about 3 turns only.

I feel like the robot in Lost in Space. WARNING! WARNING! These pumps come with "bsp" thread. Just try to find a proper fittings. NPT will go on for about 3 turns only.

And if you read any of this thread you would have known that this is pretty common knowledge about these pumps and not breaking news.

The pumps with the brass fittings actually have NPT fittings (and that too is covered somewhere in the threads above).

Latest posts

Back