Fruit Beer Lemon-Lime Hefe Weizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awsome looking forward to the IPA recipes! Turns out the syrup was at my door when I got home from work today so I added a cup of raspberry and the limeade about 5 mins ago. I will let ya know how it turns out in 4 to 6 weeks.

Limeade is a sweet lime flavored drink, lime juice is to tart and wouldn't leave a desirable flavor in the beer alone without a sweetener.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Ok brewing this again tomorrow and going with the original recipe posted. I'm just wondering the batch size and the recommended fermentation temp for this recipe. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Thanks for the tips. I am on the third day of fermenting and it's going crazy still. Going to give it another day or two before I put the limeade in.

Yes you can use any juice you want the Simply product is just a higher quality brand with a great flavor...but as others mentioned, look for artificial sweeteners and other fake junk, it will destroy your beer

Great thanks Slim. I am going to let it come to room temperature prior to pouring it in. The Newmans claim to be all natural and according to the ingredients it appears to be true. I will post the results.

So to those who care here's an update on the modified grapefruit wheat I did last Sunday. It's done fermenting now. It's about 5% abv. I detect banana in this batch (didn't have my conical temp controlled, so it went a little warmer) I think the banana actually smooths the flavor out. The heavy clove sorta made it a little sharp last time.

I also think the addition of munich and melanoidin malt helped out a lot. It's got a little more complexity to it. Even though it's at about 1.009, It's maltier with a perceived sweeter backbone that I think will help balance out the sharp acidity/bitterness of the grapefruit.

I did change up the hops schedule as well. For a 10 gal batch, I did .25 Motueka @ 60min; .25 Motueka & .25 sorachi ace @ 20min; .75 sorachi ace @ 7min. This gave me 15 IBU, but it's a smooth bitterness (again making seem a bit sweeter) But the addition of the juice will bring up bitterness, so I'm hoping this helps to balance that out.

I haven't added the juice yet, but I did add 2.5oz grapefruit zest with 4oz of juice from the grapefruit (both added at the last 10min of the boil)

The fermenter sample has grapefruit in it. It's not in your face, but it's there. I actually like it and am tempted to not add the simply juice. But my GF said she liked the grapefruit bomb. So instead, I think I will add just one bottle of juice for the 10 gallon batch. It does need that bitterness from the juice anyway.

All in all, I think the alterations got me exactly what I wanted out of this beer. I'll post final results in a couple weeks.

Finally brewed this today.... original recipe scaled down to 2 gallons... and I used Mangrove Jacks M20 Bavarian Wheat dry yeast. I've only used dry yeast so far in my brewing career... and have had great results overall.

Have the chest freezer set at 63, but I'll raise that up a bit..

I don't think it would hurt to pitch some more yeast. If there's no evidence of activity they were probably killed from the high temp (or were dead to begin with).
For what it's worth, if I'm wanting to be done with the brewday but I'm not at pitching temps yet I'll get it in the fermenter and put an airlock on it and come back to it when I'm good and ready. If you're brewing at night with an early morning ahead that might be an option for you.

I bottled this up yesterday after 3 weeks in the primary and it's smelling delicious. This looks like it'll be an outstanding brew. Thanks Slim!

If you do pitch more i would build a starter and pitch at high krausen, this will help the yeast going into an alcoholic environment, pitching right from a vial or pack may kill them right off the bat.

For a summer beer this came out perfect. I have several friends who wouldn't dare step away from the norms( bud, miller,coors) all non American beers. I made this beer and they loved it. The only tip I can add is let it age about 3-5 weeks first. The lime blends well with a little age!!

I just added my Simply Limeade.... now headed off to vacation in Hawaii in the morning, and when I get back.... ready to bottle! :mug:

The fermenting wort smelled delicious when I added the Limeade...

If I cut the fermentation short by a day would that be a big issue? Otherwise I would have to wait 4 extra days.

This was my first AG beer... I did BIAB and hit OG of 1.041 (this isn't including the Limeade..).

Besides ABV, will this effect my beer? Thanks in advance.

Your ABV will be lower, that's all.

Lets say that in a perfect world you finish at 1.010, just like in the first post.
OG 1.051 = 5.5% ABV
OG 1.041 = 4.1% ABV

I used this...
http://www.rooftopbrew.net/abv.php

That's what I calculated, but I wasn't sure how this was effected by the Limeaide.... that will easily bump the "new OG" once I put that in on Wednesday.

This may be way off, but I have a spreadsheet, can't remember where I got it from but it can be used to calculate how much your OG "changes" with the addition of honey and fruits.

The spreadsheet needs wgt of "fruit," in this case the Limeade, % sugar, beer volume, and OG before "fruit." Below is what I used for those numbers, whihc I got from the Limeade bottle.

Wgt of fruit = 3.5lbs (bottle states serving size is 8oz with 7 servings in the container), 56oz = 3.5lbs
% Sugar in "fruit" = 12% (28g per serving * 7 servings = 196grams. 196grams = 6.9oz. 6.90z out of 56oz = 12%)
Beer Volume = 5 gal
Original OG = 1.041
Adjusted OG = 1.044

This may be way off, but I have a spreadsheet, can't remember where I got it from but it can be used to calculate how much your OG "changes" with the addition of honey and fruits.

The spreadsheet needs wgt of "fruit," in this case the Limeade, % sugar, beer volume, and OG before "fruit." Below is what I used for those numbers, whihc I got from the Limeade bottle.

Wgt of fruit = 3.5lbs (bottle states serving size is 8oz with 7 servings in the container), 56oz = 3.5lbs
% Sugar in "fruit" = 12% (28g per serving * 7 servings = 196grams. 196grams = 6.9oz. 6.90z out of 56oz = 12%)
Beer Volume = 5 gal
Original OG = 1.041
Adjusted OG = 1.044

Beer Volume = 5 gal
Original OG = 1.041
Adjusted OG = 1.044

I'll have to work on my efficiency, but I'll take it for my first AG brew. THANKS :)

I am waiting the extra days. So on my way home from work this morning I had a idea. I didn't use the lime zest in the boil and I had planed on adding the lime aide during keging. But what if I use margarita mix??

Update on the raspberry variation I tried. Ended up using raspberry torani syrup as suggested by sdslim instead of simply raspberry lemonade as I originally planned. Added one cup with the limeade and used another cup in place of priming sugar to bottle carb. Turned out very tasty and the syrup gave it a nice pink hue. Clove hefe flavours are the first thing you notice followed by raspberry limeade and then you get a bit of bitterness from the hops in the finish as well as a slight syrup like flavour from the torani. Very refreshing summer beer.

I live in Australia and don't have access to this particular brand of juice. Would I be able to just juice lemons and limes in the appropriate quantity as per the ingredients percentages in the original juice?

Yes you can make your own limeade, I explained how somewhere in the first few pages.

I live in Australia and don't have access to this particular brand of juice. Would I be able to just juice lemons and limes in the appropriate quantity as per the ingredients percentages in the original juice?

In an all-organic shop next to my place I could find a 20cl bottle of pure lime juice. Adjusting for the amount of sugar, it seems to me that Limeade is 20cl juice, 200g sugar, topped with water to make for 1.75l. I'll excitingly brew that on Sunday as it's my first brew day in Germany!

I have to make a conscious decision not to go through this keg too fast. Great summer beer, thanks for the recipe Slim. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1407801818.959965.jpg

I worked it out to be 192 g sugar, 201 ml lime juice and topped up to 1680 ml with water as per the nutritional information and subtracting the natural sugar content of lime juice from the total sugar in the nutritional information.

I bottled this about a month ago and man is it tasting good.

The only issue I have with it (and the fault is mine, not the recipe's) is I have more of a bubblegum flavor than I was hoping for (which was none at all :p). I'm still adjusting to the new house and I can't seem to keep my brewery at a decent temp for fermentation, so that's probably my issue.

But, even with that problem it's still an outstanding beer.
Thanks Slim for another great recipe...I'm hoping to try your graham cracker ale again with a few modifications for personal taste this year :mug:

Back