Fruit Beer Lemon-Lime Hefe Weizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made mine up Tuesday night. I skipped the lime zest. I am going to add the lime juice to taste wen racking over to keg.

Anyone have recommendations on the quantity of priming sugar to use when bottling? Looks like the volumes of CO2 is fairly high for weizens (if I am reading this calculator correctly...). Don't want my bottles to explode!

Also, on an unrelated note, you were not kidding about "vigorous fermentation". Really glad I bought extra tubing for a blowoff!

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

Yeah this beer and my Kiwi IPA are both really explosive, both in fermentation and flavor. In regards to bottling, you can do a quick google search for priming charts and will be able to find the appropriate amount for this style of beer....I personally don't remember because I don't bottle this one very often.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Quick question
I have not yet punched the numbers into my system, but i was wondering.
The OG on this is 1.051, would that change with the limeaid that is added at high krusen, or is it accounted for in the recipe makeup? More sugers added= more fermentables=more ABV, right?
Hope that makes sense.

Quick question
I have not yet punched the numbers into my system, but i was wondering.
The OG on this is 1.051, would that change with the limeaid that is added at high krusen, or is it accounted for in the recipe makeup? More sugers added= more fermentables=more ABV, right?
Hope that makes sense.

This has been answered probably 40 times through the thread...

It adds approximately .5% ABV

Just finished 3 weeks fermenting in the low 60s (63-64) OG was 1.046 today its 1.008 temp adjusted out to... Same. 1.008. I can taste a slight lime at the very back end. I did not zest limes though. Well time to keg it.

Finished off the 5 gallon keg yesterday. Was extremely good. Will make again maybe add an extra half bottle of Limeaide.

Man this stuff could be trouble. It goes down way to easy :D

1 082.jpg

thanks for the recipe. i brewed a "similar" beer using your grain/hops bill, but added about a half lb (all i could get my hands on, i'll likely use more next year) of kumquats sliced long ways instead of the juice. it's kegged and carbing up now but tastes great. i'll likely brew this again, and follow the recipe exactly next time around, as kumquats aren't in season any longer.

Yeah this beer and my Kiwi IPA are both really explosive, both in fermentation and flavor. In regards to bottling, you can do a quick google search for priming charts and will be able to find the appropriate amount for this style of beer....I personally don't remember because I don't bottle this one very often.

Kiwi IPA? That sounds amazing! If you need me, I'll be in the IPA recipe section!

Kiwi IPA? That sounds amazing! If you need me, I'll be in the IPA recipe section!

Northern brewer has an all grain recipe kit for a kiwi IPA. Believe it is called kiwi express

Picked this recipe as my first shot at all-grain - couldn't be happier! Thanks Slim! Sorry but drank half the glass before I thought to take the picture. This will be perfect when summer temps come to Houston. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401592419.629063.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

This sure is a great beer for hot days! Thanks for sharing. I made a 10 gallon batch and did the original recipe in 5 gallons and then used WLP 320 with no simply limeade in the other carboy. Both taste great. Will be rebrewing it soon.

image.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1402097802.754363.jpg
All ready for bottling some lemon-lime hefeweizen tomorrow! They will be sporting American flag caps since they'll be ready close to the 4th of July! Can't wait to crack one open!

Brewed this up yesterday and it is now happily bubbling away. I made a few small changes so I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Grains:
6 lbs 2-row
4 lbs white wheat malt
1 lbs vienna
.5 lbs rice hulls
.25 lbs acid malt (for water profile)

hops:
.25 cascade @ 60min
.25 sarachi ace @ 20min
.25 cascade @ 20min
.75 sarachi ace @ 7min

I zested a lime, but of course I forgot to use it. Overall, everything went really well. I won't be using limeade. I am going to juice 6-8 limes and pasteurize them on the stove and add them in once the krauzen starts to fall. I got 79.6% brewhouse efficiency and am ending up with 5.5 gallons of beer. Hopefully I don't loose too much through the blowoff hose, but I am monitoring temps and we'll see.

I made a starter and this thing took off. I started seeing some bubbling through the hose and a krauzen within the first hour and a half. It smells amazing and I can't wait to taste this brew. Thankfully, it shouldn't be too long seeing as this bad boy is a hefe!

Here's an update, in case anybody was wondering about my changes: Active fermentation was pretty much done in about 5 or 6 days so I paturized the juice of 7 limes and 1 lemon and added it to the fermentor on 5/5/14. I bottled on the 16th and got 51 bottles with a FG of 1.014. Sample had huge lime flavor. Cracked open the first bottle on 6/1/14 and it was a very tasty hefe. Nice clove, little banana, and barely noticeable lime flavor. Since then the lime has come back quite a bit and it is now very nicely balanced. A little lime but not too much. This is what I was going for. All of my friends (brewers, beer snobs, and even people who usually just drink Bud or Coors) love it. After a week and a half of drinking it, I only have 17 bottles left. Yikes!

All and all, if you want a solid hefe with balanced lime flavor, I can recommend these variations on the recipe. Like I said, everybody who has tried it loves it.

IMG_8608.jpg

This beer is happily blowing up my carboy, holy cow the Wyeast 1010 is making tons of kreusen. I've since added a blow off tube. My LHBS is having a Light Hybrid (cat 6) competition in a couple months and I was thinking about entering this beer. I haven't added the Limeade yet. If I do will it fall outside of cat 6 and should I consider it a fruit beer (cat 20)? Has anyone brewed this and not added the limeade? If so, how did it turn out?

2014-06-10 13.05.26.jpg

This beer is happily blowing up my carboy, holy cow the Wyeast 1010 is making tons of kreusen. I've since added a blow off tube. My LHBS is having a Light Hybrid (cat 6) competition in a couple months and I was thinking about entering this beer. I haven't added the Limeade yet. If I do will it fall outside of cat 6 and should I consider it a fruit beer (cat 20)? Has anyone brewed this and not added the limeade? If so, how did it turn out?

I did it without the limeade and just some limes instead. The lime is subtle and I considered making it without the limes in the future. I am sure it would be a good solid hefe. You can see the other variations I made in my previous post. Definitely would still be a very tasty brew without any lime.

Allright... getting up early in the morning so I can finally brew this..

Small two gallon batch... following the recipe as closely as possible, though I only use dry yeast... trying Mangrove Jack's Bavarian Wheat..... liquid yeast is just too expensive for small batches and I've had great luck with most of the good dry yeasts out there..

Woohoo! Can't wait!:mug:

Just cracked open my first bottle and besides needing a little more carb time it is pretty good. What surprised me was the all the small floating things in the beer. I wonder if it is from the simply limeaide. anyone else have lots of small floaties?

Just cracked open my first bottle and besides needing a little more carb time it is pretty good. What surprised me was the all the small floating things in the beer. I wonder if it is from the simply limeaide. anyone else have lots of small floaties?

Not me, but I also keg.

You have to be careful when you rack this beer, not to disturb the trub or you will get floating material.

Well I sat the keg at room temp for a week now and it tastes more astringent now than before. I'll let it go another week and see what happens, but it may be bound for the drain. I've looked at my brew notes and I don't see anything that should have affected it other than only fermenting for 16 days...... I've moved from extract brewing to BIAB since then, so maybe I'll give that a shot..... I was really looking forward to this!

George

It's a sad day....... The brew never came around and I couldn't find anyone that enjoyed it ..... So......

1402953048976.jpg

I'm ready to run this brew today, but was unable to find the Simply Limeade. Found some Simply Lemonade but thought the flavor profile would change too much. Then I found some frozen limeade concentrate that claims its has no preservatives & no artificial flavors. Does anyone have any experience using this ? I know I've used frozen concentrate on some ciders with good results.
Looking for a yeah or nay.
Thanks

If you're just brewing today then you should have a few days until you need to put in the limeade, so I'd try to find it. If not, just look at the ingredients list on the limeade concentrate to see if there are any preservatives.

I used another brand and it turned out fine. Drinking one right now in fact. I did however mistakenly make it about a 5.25 gallon batch. So it's a little stronger than intended. Still good though

I bought the grains and hops for this recipe weeks ago and FINALLY am able to brew it tomorrow. First batch in over a month...hope I remember how :mug:

I'll report back with results. I plan on following the recipe exactly (except I've got a different Hefe yeast...LHBS didn't have what the recipe called for).

Made a batch of this up on sunday. Ive made original recipe 4 times and its great. Going to try adding half a bottle of simply raspberry lemonade and half a bottle of limeade. Although as some of my beer making decisions tend to be last minute I might add the whole bottle of both if im feeling it when the time comes.

Recommendation on adding different flavored Simply products....I would add a cup of torani syrup for the flavor your looking to bring out...ie: raspberry, blueberry, etc...their other products only have a hint of those flavors and the lemonade is still dominate flavor profile, which will translate in to the beer as just a lemonade flavor.

Took the advice and ordered some of this torani syrup online. Hopfully it ships out quick. Should I just add at the same time as the limeade would be added?

Yes....I have recipes that I add a cup to the boil and then add a cup as a later addition, but a cup with the limeade will work perfectly.

I made this once already and it turned out great. Looking to make it again but was just wondering what the fermentation temp was for this recipe? Thanks

Well the Grapefuit version i brewed has been tapped a while ago ... I still have the lime version in the keg downstairs. It's half full.

It was requested by my Girlfriend's father that I make another batch of Grapefruit for our trip to Lake Chelan this summer (we go for a week family vacation every year) So I couldn't decline. I enjoyed the grapefruit very much, but the lime was (and this is just me) so-so. It is however much better with the fresh lime in it.

I'm going to re-brew this with some changes...

I'm going to adjust to 80% efficiency by dropping the base malt down.
I want to do a double decoction mash, but I won't have time, so i'm going to add 3% melanoiden malt
I want to up the SRM closer to 6, while adding some complexity, so I'll be adding 20L Munich malt
The vienna and wheat will stay the same

I'm aiming for medium-light to medium body, so i'll mash between 150-153f

I'm going to up the IBU to 15% to stay in style, so I'm upping the 20min addition of Motueka by .25 oz and the 7min addition of the Sorachi by .50oz (I also wanted to get a little more aroma/flavor outta them)

I was really happy with the results I got with the WLP380 (very spicy and clove with no bubblegum/banana) So I will definitely stick with it and do another 1L starter.

Ill be adding grapefruit zest and possibly some juice from those grapefruits during the boil. I'll be doing a 10gal batch, but may cut back to less than 2 bottles of the simply grapefruit.

Hey SD SLIM looks like my torani syrup wont be shipped on time for the limeade addition. Do you think I could add it a few days later or should I just save it for next time I make this? I bought 4 different flavored syrups to get the free shipping. Do you have any other recipes that use torani syrup you can recommend. Also I ferment this one around 62-64°f. Before I knew better I did one around 78 and it was bubblegum all the way. I have used white labs hefe IV liquid yeast everytime with no starter.

Yeah you can add it a few days later, or you can see if your state has a restaurant depot....if they do, then more than likely they will have your flavor.
As for syrups, I have several IPA recipes that I will post in a few weeks.

Back