Fruit Beer Lemon-Lime Hefe Weizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
davis119 said:
Thanks. But I is in my storage unit of my condos basement 5 feet from the thermostat that never leaves 65* so idk if that was the problem. the sample wasn't bad just not every thing I had hoped for..... ill bottle this weekend.
Also I used us-05. And didn't get much of a reaction when I added the limeade

When you use Safale US-05, expect to see crazy starts that end within a couple of days....so my guess is that your primary fermentation ended within 2 or 3 days, then you added the limeade and the yeast kept working but at the slower rate they do past a couple of days...you still should have a good beer, but I recommend leaving it in a bottle for a month.
Also, I know everyone has there favorite yeast....but the recipe was really designed around the hops and the yeast....so for anyone brewing this in the future, I really recommend keeping the hops and the yeast, change the grain if you need to tweak it!

SD-SLIM said:
When you use Safale US-05, expect to see crazy starts that end within a couple of days....so my guess is that your primary fermentation ended within 2 or 3 days, then you added the limeade and the yeast kept working but at the slower rate they do past a couple of days...you still should have a good beer, but I recommend leaving it in a bottle for a month.
Also, I know everyone has there favorite yeast....but the recipe was really designed around the hops and the yeast....so for anyone brewing this in the future, I really recommend keeping the hops and the yeast, change the grain if you need to tweak it!

Thanks. Yeah I know I alway seem to have crazy starts with 05 and Nottingham..... and the yeast did do its job after the limeade. I had krauzen just nothing crazy. I know I will have good beer. I was just saying I didn't love the sample.

And when I do it again with grapefruit ill use the proper yeast.....
did u use grapefruit zest?

Thanks. Yeah I know I alway seem to have crazy starts with 05 and Nottingham..... and the yeast did do its job after the limeade. I had krauzen just nothing crazy. I know I will have good beer. I was just saying I didn't love the sample.

And when I do it again with grapefruit ill use the proper yeast.....
did u use grapefruit zest?

If you are doing a limeade, use limes...grapefruit, then use grapefruit zest...reason being that you dont want too many flavor profiles in this beer, just a few really strong solid flavors!

just bought all the hops from thehopshack.com
and as soon as they come in will be brewing this. cant wait to try it..
i got the wyeast 3068 that should be fine right? they didnt have the white labs

integra93ls said:

3068 worked nicely for me. Fermented it at 63 and got clove, very little banana. I think higher temps lead to more banana if that is something you want.

SD-SLIM said:
If you are doing a limeade, use limes...grapefruit, then use grapefruit zest...reason being that you dont want too many flavor profiles in this beer, just a few really strong solid flavors!

Haha thanks. I meant when u did the grapefruit version did you use grapefruit. Thanks

integra93ls said:

You will be fine with 3068... I use Hefe IV because it has citrus apricot notes, however 3068 is a great yeast strain that will gobble the sugars up in this beer!

davis119 said:
Haha thanks. I meant when u did the grapefruit version did you use grapefruit. Thanks

Sorry about...I have learned from this website, to be very clear in what you say or people will crucify you for playing a part in ruining your beer!

SD-SLIM said:
Sorry about...I have learned from this website, to be very clear in what you say or people will crucify you for playing a part in ruining your beer!

Haha it was my fault for posting at work with gloves on, on my cell..... and not taking the time to clarify my questions.....

Thanks again for keeping up with your thread

integra93ls said:
What other yeast do you recommend besides the 3068 n white labs hefe iv?

White Labs Hef IV is the best and hard to compare...however if I were to sub, here are some that I got good results with: Danstar Munich Wheat (dry) mixed with Abbey Ale, Wyeast 3942, Wyeast 3638, White labs 300, White Labs 320....now there will be several people that have brewed with other yeast here, and I'm glad they got great results with other yeast....but if you haven't tried it with White Labs Hef IV then they don't know just how much better it can be!

SD-SLIM said:
White Labs Hef IV is the best and hard to compare...however if I were to sub, here are some that I got good results with: Danstar Munich Wheat (dry) mixed with Abbey Ale, Wyeast 3942, Wyeast 3638, White labs 300, White Labs 320....now there will be several people that have brewed with other yeast here, and I'm glad they got great results with other yeast....but if you haven't tried it with White Labs Hef IV then they don't know just how much better it can be!

As a user of 3068 on my only batch, all I can say is that I'm with slim on this one. The clove gets in the way of the fruitiness. It's young and the flavors will meld better with time, but next time I'll be using hef IV. Just wanted to add since I think I might have started the 3068 thing in this thread.

I'll have to try n get the white labs then. Also o was at store today looking for the simply limeaid m they had none but saw a tag for simply raspberry lemonade. Has anyone tried that? Sounds like it would be good.

integra93ls said:
I'll have to try n get the white labs then. Also o was at store today looking for the simply limeaid m they had none but saw a tag for simply raspberry lemonade. Has anyone tried that? Sounds like it would be good.

I had trouble finding it too until I hit up Target. My grocery store had everything but the limeade.

People in this thread love that too and also the grapefruit. I've got no experience with those though.
Good luck

integra93ls said:

I usually get all my stuff from online sources, such as: Northern Brewer, Austin Hombrew, Midwest, Brewmaster....and I try and buy my grain locally....I say this because if you buy your yeast, you can wash it for up to 7 batches...so even if you just bought yeast and paid $7.00 for shipping (no taxes), then it works out to be less than $2.00 a batch. As for the simply products...one person on this thread called simply and they told him where he could get it...I used the raspberry lemonade and it turned out good, just less fermentable sugars and not as much " in your face" flavor!

I brewed this on Saturday. When I add the lime-aid, do I just dump it in? Stir it? Anything.

Thanks,
Rob

fyi there are Motueka hops available at rebel brewer, as well as WLP380. I ordered some earlier today.

Haven't been able to find any Sorachi Ace online though. Luckily my LHBS has a bunch of them.

love2brew has a bunch of good quality hops....sorachi ace, amarillo, citra, simcoe, saaz, etc... didnt have the mouteka though. Thanks for the help tracking them.

rmcdermo said:
I brewed this on Saturday. When I add the lime-aid, do I just dump it in? Stir it? Anything.

Thanks,
Rob

Warm it up/ or cool it down to your fermenting temp and just add it in....try to prevent a lot of splashing.

KeyWestBrewing said:
Where do you order your motueka hops from?

My best advice...google it, click shopping and search the cheapest price (including delivery)!

I brewed this for a second time on Saturday! Only the third beer I've ever brewed more than once... so obviously I liked this the first time! Especially during the summer time... still don't understand the making a margarita out of it though!!!??? LOL!

I subbed in some Golden Promise this time instead of the 2-row (had it around, and thought I would see how it turns out in this!). I'll let you know how it turns out!

Thanks again Slim!

stblindtiger said:
I brewed this for a second time on Saturday! Only the third beer I've ever brewed more than once... so obviously I liked this the first time! Especially during the summer time... still don't understand the making a margarita out of it though!!!??? LOL!

I subbed in some Golden Promise this time instead of the 2-row (had it around, and thought I would see how it turns out in this!). I'll let you know how it turns out!

Thanks again Slim!

Funny you should post this on a night that I'm drinking margaritas...but don't worry, they didn't contain beer, but they did contain everclear! I have never brewed with golden promise...probably because I'm Irish and don't make to many Scottish Ales...let me know how it works out!

stblindtiger said:

Thanks again Slim!

I am coming over when it is ready!

Mike... You are always welcome! With Tired Hands Brewing openning up soon, you should head down here. Summer is coming so I will be around al the time now that school is over. I have a Jolly Pumpkin Madrugada Obscura clone that I really like that you should try too!

It may be a tad bit too sour, but it's still very good!

I have two Flanders Reds ready too, but they are waaaaayyy too sour!!! You could try those if you dare, but again... way too sour. I wish I had a less sour beer to blend then with...

My recent Pliny Clone is awesome though! I should also have a Porter ready soon plus some experimentals (including two sours) using the porter as a base (sour chocolate porter, sour bourbon barrel porter, chocolate porter, bourbon barrel porter, oaked porter, and a vanilla porter.) The sours will take a while, but the others should be ready in a month or so...

Did you make this beer yet? I honestly loved it last year! I'm just hoping I didn't go wrong with the Golden Promise this time...

You are the second person to laugh at me about using the Scottish Malt Slim! My brother laughed at me for using it in a hef too! LOL... I wanted to try the malt though so we'll see how it turns out!

I promised my cousin I would brew him a lime flavored beer for his b-day and I just found this one and it sounds perfect. I need to get it going this weekend, but my LHBS doesn't have the motueka hops. Would it be okay to sub only with sorachi, or is there any other variety that would at least not interfere with the lemon-lime? Any suggestions would help. Otherwise, I can't wait to try it. Thanks

MarkJ said:
I promised my cousin I would brew him a lime flavored beer for his b-day and I just found this one and it sounds perfect. I need to get it going this weekend, but my LHBS doesn't have the motueka hops. Would it be okay to sub only with sorachi, or is there any other variety that would at least not interfere with the lemon-lime? Any suggestions would help. Otherwise, I can't wait to try it. Thanks

I wouldn't go all Sarachi because it will result in a very bitter beer that doesn't fit the flavor profile of a hefeweizen....if I had to sub Motueka, I would go with Cascade!

Here's a beginners question as I'm new to brewing... Since you add the simply limeade after a couple days, when should you take your gravity readings to determine alcohol content? It seems like a big variable to only do at post boil and bottling/kegging...

MarkJ said:
Here's a beginners question as I'm new to brewing... Since you add the simply limeade after a couple days, when should you take your gravity readings to determine alcohol content? It seems like a big variable to only do at post boil and bottling/kegging...

Welcome to brewing Mark....gravity readings is always a concern of a new brewer....in general you should only take gravity readings at the beginning and when you see no visible signs of active fermentation....now new brewers always want to open up the bucket, or uncork their fermenter to confirm you did everything right and indeed you are making beer, but in doing so you are exposing your beer to possible wild yeast and foreign bacteria....so my advice (if you decide to make this beer)....brew it, watch the bubbles, gently add the limeade, watch the bubbles, wait for a total of 3 weeks and then bottle or keg! It's hard to wait, but you will learn that while your waiting, you should be planning/starting your next brew...so you never have to wait again!

What I meant was to see of I should take a gravity reading after adding the limeaid? It seems like that would significantly alter the amount of fermentable sugar and you may not get an accurate interpretation of alcohol content if you only measured post boil and bottling, or am I wrong? Thank you for your help!

What I meant was to see of I should take a gravity reading after adding the limeaid? It seems like that would significantly alter the amount of fermentable sugar and you may not get an accurate interpretation of alcohol content if you only measured post boil and bottling, or am I wrong? Thank you for your help!

this has been asked... by a few people including me...... it on ups the abv by a very small amount..... just take a final reading before bottling and then figure your abv

you wouldn't get an accurate reading if taken after you add the limeaide since a good portion of the fermentables have already been converted at that point. In truth adding the limeaide doesn't add as much to the fermentables as you'd think. Try not to over think the beer and it'll turn out fine.

Thank you. Sorry if I repeated a question, I came in late on the thread and 27 pages was a lot to read through. Can't wait to get this beer done

Back