Fruit Beer Lemon-Lime Hefe Weizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone used a Wyeast 3944 belgian wit strain versus the recommended Hefe IV yeast? I have a yeast cake that is about to open up. Any thoughts? Can I pour my wort directly onto the yeast cake or will it be better suited to wash the yeast and re pitch? Thanks in advance.

I have used a few different wheat and wit yeasts on this as well as US-05 and found that they are all good, but there really is nothing quite like the Hefe IV. It seems to give a rounder, more fruity flavor that lends itself to the lime. That being said, they have all been very good.

I would not repitch on an entire cake, as you will be seriously overpitching - this can lead to off flavors that you don't want. The yeast really need to go through a replication stage - especially in a wheat beer - to develop the flavors and esters that we are looking for.

Thats awesome to hear. I am a new guy who just got turned onto S-05. I have some extra and was looking for something new to make. This one looks like it's gonna make the list for my next couple.

Mysticmead said:
read the first post. it says batch size 6 gallons

Meaning no disrespect - No, it doesn't. Post 1 on Page 1 on this thread doesn't say anything about the batch size. I've looked at it several times, but nope still not there. So is it 5 like anyone would think, or is it 6?

I plan on brewing this on Friday, and having plugged in all the info planning on it being a 5 gallon batch now has me wondering.

VaBrewer said:
Meaning no disrespect - No, it doesn't. Post 1 on Page 1 on this thread doesn't say anything about the batch size. I've looked at it several times, but nope still not there. So is it 5 like anyone would think, or is it 6?

I plan on brewing this on Friday, and having plugged in all the info planning on it being a 5 gallon batch now has me wondering.

It's 6. I've brewed it twice, one lemon lime and one grapefruit, it's a good one.

Just looked again 'cause I was certain it was in the first post as well. When viewed on my phone, I don't see the batch size but now that I'm on my computer, it very clearly shows 6 gallons.

That could be where the miscommunication is.

Happy brewing!:mug:

its a 6 gallon batch. the first post does say the batch size. If you're looking at it from a phone then you might not see it. but here's the details from the first post.

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: White Labs Hefeweizen IV
Batch Size (Gallons): 6
Original Gravity: 1.051
Final Gravity: 1.01
IBU: 11.9
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 4.0
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 3
Tasting Notes: Lemon-Lime in your face flavor....real easy to drink and drink and drink!

Made this beer a few weeks ago with a few adjustments (lower mash temp, lower gravity) and have already cleared the keg. WLP380 is a fantastic yeast, exactly what I wanted in ALL of my hefes. I will be rebrewing this one eventually.
I also entered it into the Savannah craft brewfest's Summer Suds contest. I'll post results when I get em.

epanknin said:
Has anyone used a Wyeast 3944 belgian wit strain versus the recommended Hefe IV yeast? I have a yeast cake that is about to open up. Any thoughts? Can I pour my wort directly onto the yeast cake or will it be better suited to wash the yeast and re pitch? Thanks in advance.

You may have already brewed this, but I never recommend using yeast cakes from different beers...reason being, that despite your good efforts in straining hops particles from your wort when you transferred to your fermenter some will still be there...additionally any imperfections in your last beer, will still be there...finally if your not careful in transferring the new wort on the yeast cake, you will lift the dead yeast that will be consumed by the live yeast resulting in a horrible off taste.....summary, if you choose to re-use this yeast for this beer, then wash it first...but better yet, wash this yeast and store it for another recipe and go with Hef V...you won't regret it!

janson745 said:
Thats awesome to hear. I am a new guy who just got turned onto S-05. I have some extra and was looking for something new to make. This one looks like it's gonna make the list for my next couple.

Wise choice to use Safale S-05 as a new brewer...it's a very forgiving yeast and doesn't require a starter (still should reconstitute). The reason I would say to stick with dry yeast for you first 5 to 10 brews, is because while your learning how to brew, learning your equipment and just basically getting a rhythm down...you will make mistakes, S-05 and other dry yeast are forgiving and will not show as many mistakes in the final product. I have brewed this beer (in gallon batches) to several yeast types and combos, if I had to go with dry yeast...I would mix S-05 with Danstar Nottingham Ale...it makes for an interesting final product!

Thundercougarfalconbird said:
Made this beer a few weeks ago with a few adjustments (lower mash temp, lower gravity) and have already cleared the keg. WLP380 is a fantastic yeast, exactly what I wanted in ALL of my hefes. I will be rebrewing this one eventually.
I also entered it into the Savannah craft brewfest's Summer Suds contest. I'll post results when I get em.

Best of luck on the competition...I agree with you on Hef V, it's the yeast I use 99% of the time on all my hefes.

Thundercougarfalconbird said:
Took first place in "Low-country ale" category (category created for competition in Savannah, GA)
:mug:

Congratulations.....this is the 4th gold medal for this recipe!

I went a little over board on the limeade on this one. My water volume in my fermenter was low, my first all grain recipe, working out the kinks... I did not account for the lower water volume when adding the limeade in beersmith.

After five weeks in the bottle it's mellowing out. Luckily I stocked up on hops to give this another go!

Funny you say that about going overboard....

On my third batch of this stuff (hard to keep it around) I decided to really up the flavor and added an additional frozen limeade concentrate can..... Bad idea! It's way to much, reminds me of a margarita with all of that lime and boozy alcohol from the simple sugars...

Still gonna let it mellow and see what happens. In the meantime ill just have to stick with brewin another original recipe. Thanks again slim

OCBrewin said:
Funny you say that about going overboard....

On my third batch of this stuff (hard to keep it around) I decided to really up the flavor and added an additional frozen limeade concentrate can..... Bad idea! It's way to much, reminds me of a margarita with all of that lime and boozy alcohol from the simple sugars...

Still gonna let it mellow and see what happens. In the meantime ill just have to stick with brewin another original recipe. Thanks again slim

Lol....it took me playing around with a bunch of stuff before I came up with this recipe, so I completely understand. The reason why I ended up with the simply limeade versus concentrate or other limeades, was due to the number of ingredients and the quality of the product.....I tried a generic brand Walmart limeade once, and i had a sour face with every drink....so I'm glad to hear you enjoy it, happy brewing!

I brewed this yesterday, bubbling away in the fermentation chamber.

For people thinking about brewing this, it took me 3 limes to get the 1/2 ounce of zest. I used a potato peeler and chopped the rind into a fine pulp with a knife.

Here is the deal.... brew day normal. SG 1.046. Pitched (Hefe IV) yeast at roughly 70 degrees. Great airlock activity for about 2.5 days after about a 12 hour delayed start from pitch time. Airlock activity minimal if any after 3 days. Took sample with 1.002 reading (Day 3). Added room temp limeade. (Day 20) took sample and reading of 1.010. (Day 22) took sample and reading of 1.010. No secondary transfer. Primary bucket stored in basement regulated at 72 degrees.

Decided to bottle after no movement. Boiled 1.5 cup water and added 4.7 ounces of corn sugar. Cooled to room temp. Added to bottling bucket and racked 5 total gallons onto the priming solution. Stirred about three times throughout.

According to beer smith this corn sugar measurement should have produced a 2.5 vol carbonation. I usually try one bottle each week to check on carbonation. First bottle after about 8 days is definitely over carbonated. Champagne like bubbles on your tongue. I get a mountain of foam with the carbonation bubbles carrying all the sediment to the top and out of the bottle. Left with very little beer after the foam resides.

Not sure what has happened. Normally I get a little more carbonation after each week. No bottle bombs since I bottled 10 days ago. No bulging caps.

I decided to refrigerate for at least 48 hours and attempt another bottle. Same effect. Beer tastes a little green and needs some time to mellow out in your face lime flavor. But should still a good beer after letting the flavors blend/balance. I understand it could take up to 3 weeks to allow the carbonation to fully suspend in the beer. However, this batch does not seem right compared to my previous batches.

I attempted for 6 total gallons so I could do a test 1 gallon batch of simply grapefruit as well. Used US-05 and bottled a few days after the LLH. These bottles are carbonating fine as usual.

I used the same bottling equipment (auto siphon, racking tube and bottle wand) on each batch. Both LLH and GFH. No gusher of my GFH test bottles to date.

Any thoughts. It seems like re fermentation has started again in each bottle of the LLH producing additional CO2. Any thoughts or final gravity readings prior to bottling appreciated.

Sorry for the long thread.

Looks like you had a lot of extra sugar from the Limeade that you didn't let ferment out before bottling. The limeade should have been added while there was still some pretty good activity and the gravity of 1.002 means that the yeasties were basically done and going to sleep (3 days is crazy fast btw...). Not sure what you can do about it now, but I'd be worried about bottle bombs at this point. The yeast woke up in the bottle to find that they not only had corn sugar but fructose and sucrose from the limeade to feast on...

Maybe crack open all of the bottles and recap? Pasteurize to stop secondary fermentation? Not sure....

Correction... just looked at my notes again. My gravity reading was 1.008 9 days after adding the limeade (Day 12). It was 1.002 when bottled (Day 22). I slowly released CO2 out of the chilled bottle and poured. It took a good 5-10 minutes. Did not disturb the bottom sediment like it would if I simply popped the cap. Carbonation seems nice after letting the excess CO2 escape. I am going to let this sample go flat and take another gravity reading.

Best approach to vent about 48 bottles? I know what a nightmare!!!! I can only vent a little at a time. Let it settle and then vent again.

Here is the deal.... brew day normal. SG 1.046. Pitched (Hefe IV) yeast at roughly 70 degrees. Great airlock activity for about 2.5 days after about a 12 hour delayed start from pitch time. Airlock activity minimal if any after 3 days. Took sample with 1.002 reading (Day 3). Added room temp limeade. (Day 20) took sample and reading of 1.010. (Day 22) took sample and reading of 1.010. No secondary transfer. Primary bucket stored in basement regulated at 72 degrees.

Decided to bottle after no movement. Boiled 1.5 cup water and added 4.7 ounces of corn sugar. Cooled to room temp. Added to bottling bucket and racked 5 total gallons onto the priming solution. Stirred about three times throughout.

According to beer smith this corn sugar measurement should have produced a 2.5 vol carbonation. I usually try one bottle each week to check on carbonation. First bottle after about 8 days is definitely over carbonated. Champagne like bubbles on your tongue. I get a mountain of foam with the carbonation bubbles carrying all the sediment to the top and out of the bottle. Left with very little beer after the foam resides.

Not sure what has happened. Normally I get a little more carbonation after each week. No bottle bombs since I bottled 10 days ago. No bulging caps.

I decided to refrigerate for at least 48 hours and attempt another bottle. Same effect. Beer tastes a little green and needs some time to mellow out in your face lime flavor. But should still a good beer after letting the flavors blend/balance. I understand it could take up to 3 weeks to allow the carbonation to fully suspend in the beer. However, this batch does not seem right compared to my previous batches.

I attempted for 6 total gallons so I could do a test 1 gallon batch of simply grapefruit as well. Used US-05 and bottled a few days after the LLH. These bottles are carbonating fine as usual.

I used the same bottling equipment (auto siphon, racking tube and bottle wand) on each batch. Both LLH and GFH. No gusher of my GFH test bottles to date.

Any thoughts. It seems like re fermentation has started again in each bottle of the LLH producing additional CO2. Any thoughts or final gravity readings prior to bottling appreciated.

Sorry for the long thread.

My guess is that you didn't extract enough ferment able sugars...so yeast went dormant...then you add limeade, has a little more sugar, so a little more activity but not enough...fast forward to bottling and yeast start working on bottling sugar bubbles from co2 conversion...no bottle bombs YET!

I added my limeade this morning which is 3 1/2 days after pitching. I had a normal air lock on it and the bubbling had slowed to a bubble every other second or two. I put my blow off tube back on and the fermentation is rocking again.

I hope this beer turns out as good as it is in my mind. :p

I know this recipe has won multiple medals in comp, so it got me thinking. What category is everyone entering it in, weizen? Seems like that would be the obvious choice but I'm just double checking.

I got a 27 in Fruit Beer with the grapefruit version. Thin body and hot were terms that appeared on two of the three judges' papers. At the same time, all three had labeled it "interesting beer", and all three would buy some with minor adjustments. I missed the mash by a couple degrees but I like the hotness so ill just mash a little higher next time.

Well, yesterday I made this brew. I made the extract recipe, and I have super high hopes for this brew! I rounded off the numbers a little bit, ended up using #7 of Wheat Liquid Extract and #1 of Extra Pale Liquid Extract. I was able to get a hold of the Motueka and Sorachi Ace hops. I got the zest off of 5 limes (they were on sale, 5 limes for $1), and instead of the White Labs Hefe IV yeast, I used the Wyeast #3333 (German Wheat). I made my first starter ever, and ended up with a starter that was 1400ml. Can't wait to see how this comes out. After about 5 hours, it was bubbling away as happy as could be! Yay Beer!

TheGAC said:
Well, yesterday I made this brew. I made the extract recipe, and I have super high hopes for this brew! I rounded off the numbers a little bit, ended up using #7 of Wheat Liquid Extract and #1 of Extra Pale Liquid Extract. I was able to get a hold of the Motueka and Sorachi Ace hops. I got the zest off of 5 limes (they were on sale, 5 limes for $1), and instead of the White Labs Hefe IV yeast, I used the Wyeast #3333 (German Wheat). I made my first starter ever, and ended up with a starter that was 1400ml. Can't wait to see how this comes out. After about 5 hours, it was bubbling away as happy as could be! Yay Beer!

It's beer...so how can it be bad, but if I could recommend one thing...get Hef IV in the next batch....it's the best yeast for this beer and most other Hef's!

It's beer...so how can it be bad, but if I could recommend one thing...get Hef IV in the next batch....it's the best yeast for this beer and most other Hef's!

Yeah, I hope to use the Hef IV next time. The only reason I didn't use it this time is because I was unable to get a hold of it. (or rather, I didn't want to have to pay shipping to yet another place, I already had to use two different sources to get all the ingredients)

TheGAC said:
Yeah, I hope to use the Hef IV next time. The only reason I didn't use it this time is because I was unable to get a hold of it. (or rather, I didn't want to have to pay shipping to yet another place, I already had to use two different sources to get all the ingredients)

I'm shocked this yeast isn't carried by all suppliers by now, I have yet to meet someone who didn't love it....as a matter of fact, I keep slants of it so I never run out!

I asked this question already but I should have been more specific..... What category did the people that placed with this recipe enter it in? Last time I got a few different answers but I just asked what category people are entering this in, not specifically what category this beer has medaled in. I have 2 bottles left and want to send them out to comp.

Back