Leaking racking cane - Oxidation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gusmedic

Reaction score
I just racked a batch into a keg and the last two gallons I struggled badly with a constant stream of bubbles coming up my auto siphon racking came. I stored the small came with rubber end inside the larger tube and I think that caused it to not seal eel. it was pulling a lot of air in that way. What kind of off tastes and how bad do you think this will affect the final product?

Oxidation gives the beer a flavor described as "wet cardboard". Depends on how badly it aerated during siphoning. You'll find out when you start drinking it. In the future, store the pieces of the siphon separately. Also, are you sure the bubbles were coming up the cane or were they appearing where the cane connects to the hose? Sometimes I will get bubbles right at the cane/hose connection. That's cavitation - kind of like revving an outboard motor too fast. You can stop that by bending the hose upward for a second or two until the bubbles stop. If it was actually coming up the cane, try some test runs with water to see if you can stop it. If not, you will need to buy a new siphon.

Back