Transfer Pump to move fermented beer to bottling bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperJeffio

Reaction score
I have a self priming anti-gravity diaphragm pump and I'm wondering if anyone has used one to transfer their fermented beer from their carboy to a bottling bucket. The auto-siphon is a pain in the ass, and C02 is not an option for me as of now.
From my research, I found a few people that said they clean and run the lines with StarSan to fill the lines, then have the beer follow, ditch the StarSan into a bowl or what not, then run the line to the bottom of the bucket to avoid splashing as per usual.
My main concern is oxidizing the beer and the speed at which the beer transfers compared to a regular auto-siphon. In theory, if theres no air in the line I would think its fine. The fit is extremely tight on the line and racking cane. Im not sure if the beer being transferred at twice the rate would matter as long as Im avoiding splashing. Thanks for reading, i tried to find these answers on my own.

Let me first put in a word for patience. There are times when patience is a brewer's best friend :)

That said...I suppose as long as there is no air exposure, gravity vs pump is a no difference deal. I like the idea of purging the transfer system with sanitizer, but Star San is designed to and notorious for foaming which might make a mess of things. If you have the pump etc I'd put it together and see what happens with just the Star San, then go from there. Hopefully it proves to be a non-issue...

Cheers!

Back