Lager temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bass

Reaction score
Just got my latest ingredient kit (pilsner urquell) but apparently I didn't read the desciption very well. This is a lager, and the instructions state to ferment for a week at 60-65 degrees, then for another week at 48-60, and then to finish for 3-12 weeks at 38-48 degrees.

Problem is, I don't have an extra refridgerator in which to ferment this - I've only been doing ales that can ferment at 70 degrees (room temp). Do I have any options with this kit, or do I have to follow these directions to have it come out anywhere near how it's suppsed to?

That actually seems a little warm to me. Most lager yeasts ferment at 50-55F and then lager near 38F for a few weeks. What yeast is this? If you ferment warm, it will definitely not taste like a Pilsner.

The first part of those instructions seem backwards, typically you would ferment a lager at lower temps, then do a dyacetyl rest a little higher, then on to the lagering phase. But it doesn't matter if your going to ferment at 70, you said it yourself this is a lager, if you ferment at 70 it is NOT a lager, you could try some california common yeast if you have no other option but I believe even that should be 65F max.

Otherwise just use any ale yeast and make . . . . .beer . . . . It won't be a pilsner urquell.

what yeast does it have? many "kits" have an ale yeast, sometimes even a generic munton's yeast. i'd look toward a clean ale yeast, like us-05, if i had to replace a lager yeast

60-65 is high for a lager yeast, maybe that's like the coopers lager yeast? try using a swamp cooler and switch out ice bottles.

The kit is from Midwest supplies with Saflager S-23 dry yeast. The fermenting directions ver batim are:

Place your fermenter in a warm area. (60-65°F ) Approximately 1-3 days after
adding the yeast you should start to notice a healthy fermentation taking place. At this point, move your fermenter to your cool fermentation area (48-60°F). After 7-10 days of fermentation, allow the temperature to rise to room temperature for 24 hrs. This is called a diacetyl rest and will aid in a complete fermentation and diacetyl absorption. After the Diacetyl rest, transfer into a glass carboy and let sit for 3-12 weeks at your lagering temperature (36-45°F ).

Starting you ferment cold will lessen the chance of esters and diacetyl as well as that of fusel alcohols.
I think that S-23 is a poor choice for Pu.
I have just started a ferment of a lager and right now it is at 48f.

Okay, they are telling you to pitch warm at 60-65F and once it starts fermenting to move it to location with the proper temp near 50. And then let it rise for the diacetyl rest. I agree with boo on the pitching a little cooler than 50F and letting it rise to 50F for primary and then doing the rest, but that is all neither here nor there if you can't ferment cool. If you can't get down to 55F, just get some ale yeast and make yourself a nice ale.

Back