Lager fermenting temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul.wied

Reaction score
Hey All:
I am fermenting my 1st lager.
I usually brew ales due to my fermentation room is usually 20-is degrees C, but now have a room that is 10 to 15 winter time depending on outside temps.
My brew has been fermenting for 6 days now in 10 degree temp.
Is this too cold?
Should it be a bit warmer?
Thoughts on this?

Thanks for any input!
Regards,
Paul

Hey All:
I am fermenting my 1st lager.
I usually brew ales due to my fermentation room is usually 20-is degrees C, but now have a room that is 10 to 15 winter time depending on outside temps.
My brew has been fermenting for 6 days now in 10 degree temp.
Is this too cold?
Should it be a bit warmer?
Thoughts on this?

Thanks for any input!
Regards,
Paul
It depends on what yeast you use
at 10c it will proberly ferment migth be abit slow but i think you are okey just let it have time

Agree with the above. Assuming you have a lager yeast, I would say you're at the lower end but still not too low. Just give it some extra time to ferment out.

Assuming you used a true lager yeast... It will be great at 10C. Just expect it to take many weeks to ferment out and clean up after itself (yeast will eat or reabsorb farty sulfur, buttery diacetyl, etc.). The thing with making lagers in the traditional way at about 10C is you need patience. Leave it alone for a long time and it will be great.

Or if you grow impatient, you can warm it up and it will still turn out very good too, but faster.

If you used an ale yeast to make your lager, then all bets are off.

It would be most helpful to the rest of us if you could provide the exact name of the yeast that you used, whatever name and numbers it had on the packet.

Don't forget a diacetyl rest.
Sometimes I intentionally skip this. A few years ago me and my wife were out having some beers when she had one she never tried earlier and bursts out : "Oh, this tastes like popcorn! I love it". Since then I make a small batch of "diacetyl lager" for her every once in a while... :popcorn:

It depends on what yeast you use
at 10c it will proberly ferment migth be abit slow but i think you are okey just let it have time
Hi Gajol,
It was 2 pkt Fermolager, which recommends a 12°C fermentation...So then I prepare myself for a longer fermentation time.
/Paul

10C (50F) is definitely not too low for any lager strain I'm aware of. Hell, in olde tymes, 50F would have been considered a little bit high by many. I ferment most of my lagers at right about 50F. When pitching at a proper (i.e. large) lager yeast pitch rate, they don't take much longer than most of my ales.

10C (50F) is definitely not too low for any lager strain I'm aware of. Hell, in olde tymes, 50F would have been considered a little bit high by many. I ferment most of my lagers at right about 50F. When pitching at a proper (i.e. large) lager yeast pitch rate, they don't take much longer than most of my ales.
OK, thanks for confirming!
I pitched the 2 Fermolager dry yeast packs into approx. 30 L (7.x gallons).
Sounds like I am on the right path anyway!
/Paul

OK, thanks for confirming!
I pitched the 2 Fermolager dry yeast packs into approx. 30 L (7.x gallons).
Sounds like I am on the right path anyway!
/Paul
You're going to be fine.

Brewing a lager at 10C/50F will produce a great beer. I'll concede that I don't know what Fermolager is, much less brewed with it, but it's a lager yeast--it's going to be fine at 10C.

Patience will be key, especially with a first pitch of dry lager yeast. I almost exclusively use dry yeast for my lagers and it's always a bit of a shock whenever I start a new pitch. They lag a bit and their progress is politely described as "stately" on that first pitch. That's normal. I'm currently dealing with that on a fresh pitch of S-189.

Fortunately, once this pitch is finished up in a few weeks you'll have an established second generation pitch that will provide much improved performance on your next batch.

What yeast are you using, what’s the batch size and do you have temperature control?
30L batch. Pitched at 12°C and do not have temp control other than the room's actual temperature. Fermolager is the yiest, never heard of it, but it is working...A consistent 'bubbling' in the water lock.

Sometimes I intentionally skip this. A few years ago me and my wife were out having some beers when she had one she never tried earlier and bursts out : "Oh, this tastes like popcorn! I love it". Since then I make a small batch of "diacetyl lager" for her every once in a while... :popcorn:
I think I remember reading that diacetyl is not good, maybe bad, for people. It may be worth looking into.

Back