Lager hydromel, thoughts and tips please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davemci

Reaction score
I am going to make a hydromel with about 5-6% abv. I have to rack a chek pils into a keg to lager and was thinking of just dropping it on the yeast cake. The pils had a healthy cold ferment and it was from 2 packs of s23. I have done a fewhydromels and braggots with ale yeasts before with good outcomes. Any and all comments are welcome, thanks in advance.

Don't most people advocate starting new when using lager yeast? Mostly because of the stress caused during fermentation. Most of that concern is also coming from the very clean flavors typically required by lagers. Usually, when I look to reuse lager yeast I save some off the starter, then rebuild from that, rather than using the cake.

That said, you could certainly give it a shot.

It is rolling along in the chamber, I will rack it as soon as most of it settles to hopefully prevent too many off flavors. I didn' realize lager cakes are not the best to use. I also mashed 3 oz of rye, 3 oz of crystal rye, and 4 oz of Munich 2 to help with a little flavor and body. I shall report with the results

Back