Lag time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shambolic

Reaction score
What are the shortest lag times people have achieved?

Mine used to be over a day (just sprinkling dry yeast on top of the wort in the fermenter), but last time, with a starter prepared the day before and good aeration, it was only seven hours. I was happy with that. :)

My record so far was 4 hours. Large starter that took off very fast. I'll never do another batch without one.

30 minutes. Moved a Mild into the secondary and poured an IPA onto the cake.

Non-cake, about 4 hours. Big starter on Poor Richard's Ale.

a few hours with a large starter...my shortest ferment has been a day that i just got with my porter.

WOW! I typically brew on Sundays watching football and after drinking all day typically find a good ferment on Monday morning (with a headache and itch for something cold with alcohol). I've not timed "take-off" but with these posts, I'll have to start paying attention. On a serious note, I don't take the time to do a "starter" and with "whack packs" I've had a good rolling fermentation before I've gotten up on Monday morn (pitch at 4PM Sunday or so). Funny, I've done a couple of cheap "boil and dumps" lately to fill my kegs and (eeeeeek!) used the dry yeast and had better response! Based on these posts, however, I think I'm going to start saving yeast from my primaries and once again start making up some starters!

With my first batch, a can of Coopers Lager extract and a kilo of corn sugar (I know, yuck), it was bubbling after three hours. Sprinkled Coopers dry yeast on the top and it went to work.

Actually for a former Bud drinker, it isn't really too bad for a first batch. Been in the bottles almost two weeks.

the wee heavy i brewed saturday started after 30 minutes (fastest start ever). made a 1300 ml starter w/ 1.5 cups dme. aerated for 2.5 minutesprior to pitching. normal for me is about 3-4 hours of lag time.

Well, I've bested myself. My Imperial Stout (currently in fermenter) had a lag time of less than five hours. Sweet! :)

(BTW, OG = 1.111; this is by far the highest gravity beer I've ever made :drunk: )

Fastest was about 4 hours when I made a large starter. Typical is about 8 hours before the airlock is banging away. Had one hangfire for 36 hours once then it just exploded to life.

Back