Lacto culture/starter from grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryceefisher

Reaction score
I'm going to catalogue a culture I'm making from some Leftover grain and a small bottle of minute maid apple juice.

The first picture shows day one, clear juice no activity.

The second picture shows day two. Cloudy juice, the malt is quickly rising and falling and there is a small amount of foam forming on the surface. The airlock is bubbling about 2 times every 60 seconds. I'm keeping the bottle in my garage at about 100 degrees Fahrenheit (Las Vegas).

Anyone ever tried this? Comments questions and suggestions are appreciated.

-Bryce

1408505380382.jpg

1408505400855.jpg

Day three. Very cloudy now, not sure if it's from the grain or from any wild yeast or lacto. Some foam and large bubbles forming on the surface. Airlock activity about every 20 seconds or so.

1408586216223.jpg

1408586230584.jpg

Before work this morning I placed it in the refrigerator. Going to make a 1.020-1.030 wort to build it up again tonight. Not much difference since the last post, just super cloudy. I will take a pH reading as well.

This is basically how a typical sour wort is made for a Berliner Weiss. It typically takes about 72 hours at 100F to get a good sour like would show up in a Berliner Weiss or other lacto soured beers. However, you would typically do this with the entire mash volume, not just a small amount like you are doing.

You will make a lacto culture, but you aren't making nearly enough to do a fairly quick soured beer. If you pitched that into a typical beer, you would still be talking about 3-4 months for the lacto to sour a batch that was otherwise normally brewed.

Check out my post below. This is how a traditional sour mash is done:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/berliner-weiss-many-ways-385934/index39.html#post6123428

This is basically how a typical sour wort is made for a Berliner Weiss. It typically takes about 72 hours at 100F to get a good sour like would show up in a Berliner Weiss or other lacto soured beers. However, you would typically do this with the entire mash volume, not just a small amount like you are doing.

You will make a lacto culture, but you aren't making nearly enough to do a fairly quick soured beer. If you pitched that into a typical beer, you would still be talking about 3-4 months for the lacto to sour a batch that was otherwise normally brewed.

Check out my post below. This is how a traditional sour mash is done:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/berliner-weiss-many-ways-385934/index39.html#post6123428

I'm aware of sour mashing techniques. I'm doing this so I can keep and maintain a lacto culture. And my plan is to use it for making tradition sour beers. When I make a Berliner I do not sour mash, and it typically reaches a PH of about 3.3-3.5 in 3 months.

1 week update: Made a starter from light DME with an OG of 1.028. Strained the original starter into the wort which was about 100 degrees. No Oxygenation. The juice had a high lacto aroma, and the taste was very sour but clean. The starter was returned to the garage.

1409024599762.jpg

1409024615990.jpg

1409024626256.jpg

After one day it seems as if the starter wort is about done fermenting. There is evidence of a fairly high krausen. There is still some foam on the surface and a small amount of sediment on the bottom. Wort is very cloudy, it appears that whatever is in there has very low flocculation.

1409144712362.jpg

1409144724245.jpg

1409144735283.jpg

So after letting this culture sit around for a while, I decided to take a ph reading and add 1 pint of fresh wort after decanting to get it ready for a large batch of beer. The odor and taste was very clean and the ph was around 2.8. On sunday 11/16 i pitched the whole pint into a 7 gallon batch of an all pale malt wort 50/50 thomas fawcett perle and US 2row @115f. After 48hrs the PH is at 3.3 and very nice tasting. I am going to boil tomorrow and pitch a starter of brett then age for a few weeks on some fruit.

IMG_20141118_165744518.jpg

So after letting this culture sit around for a while, I decided to take a ph reading and add 1 pint of fresh wort after decanting to get it ready for a large batch of beer. The odor and taste was very clean and the ph was around 2.8. On sunday 11/16 i pitched the whole pint into a 7 gallon batch of an all pale malt wort 50/50 thomas fawcett perle and US 2row @115f. After 48hrs the PH is at 3.3 and very nice tasting. I am going to boil tomorrow and pitch a starter of brett then age for a few weeks on some fruit.

How did it come out?

Back