Lacto and brett only fermentations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metic

Reaction score
It seems like a few people here have had success with using lacto to make a fairly quick sour: either pitching it a few days before pitching a yeast, or pitching yeast and lacto together. I've tried doing this with lacto and brett trois, the idea being to get sourness and high attenuation relatively quickly, so that I could bottle after a few months.

I've made some good berlinerweisses this way, pitching brett trois and large quantities of lacto together. They have a nice sourness, some fruitiness from the yeast, and a bready/doughy flavours from the wheat and pilsner. Body is a bit thin, but the high carbonation takes care of that.

But I've also been trying to brew a sour brown ale using the same method, with less success. For my first try, I brewed a version of Jamil's Southern Brown recipe, pitching the same brett/large quantity of lacto mix. In hindsight this wasn't the best idea, because the brett chewed right through all the crystal malt that gives that recipe it's character. I ended up with something that had a nice lactic sourness, but that was otherwise fairly thin and without much maltiness/character at all. I transferred it onto some cherries and oak to see if they could round it out, but it's still a bit one-dimensional.

For my second try I changed my recipe quite a bit. One big change was adding ~8% golden naked oats to try to make sure the final beer had some body to it. That worked fairly well, and I ended up with something that was less thin, but with the basically the same one-dimensional lactic sourness.

If they don't round out over time, I'll use both beers for blending, so neither will go to waste. But I'm wondering if anyone has had better luck formulating recipes for this kind of fermentation? I've never had beers by Cascade brewing, but I think they use a similar process. Dave Marliave from Flat Tail also talks about this on his Sunday Session interview, but he doesn't talk about how to brew something that will have more going on than a lactic sourness.

This isn't about a brett and lacto only beer but I made a low gravity sour brown using dark candy sugar that I made and it retained a lot of the flavor of the sugar. I will definitely do it again. It was the first sessionable sour I've had yet.

Oh that's good to hear. I used d90 candi syrup in my second attempt, because I figured all the body from the crystal malt was being fermented out anyway. I transferred that one to secondary yesterday, but its still pretty young so I can't tell if some other flavours will come to the front to round out the lactic sourness, or if it will just get more sour.

I've been on the same path recently, metic. It appears as though the Brett and Lacto (more so the Brett) just chew right through all of the caramel malts. I made an oud bruin with a pound of special B, and the bugs even went through that (tasting video on my latest youtube if you are interested). I am starting to wonder if the only way to get both a good sourness and a good malt backbone is to blend a sour beer with a non-sour brown ale. The worry then becomes how do we keep the bugs in the sour beer from eventually thinning out the non-sour brown ale... is pasteurization the only way to do this?

I think I'll probably do something like that with at least one of mine: brew a brown ale, maybe with oats for body and even a glycerol producing yeast like 3711 that will dry it right out, then blend back with some of the sour ale. The only other ways I can think to do it are pasteurization, or drinking the blend quickly after bottling.

I think I'll probably do something like that with at least one of mine: brew a brown ale, maybe with oats for body and even a glycerol producing yeast like 3711 that will dry it right out, then blend back with some of the sour ale. The only other ways I can think to do it are pasteurization, or drinking the blend quickly after bottling.

Perhaps keeping the bottled/kegged blend as cold as possible would work as well? That wouldn't be an option for me because I don't have the fridge space, but I wonder how well that would work for someone who does?

Perhaps keeping the bottled/kegged blend as cold as possible would work as well? That wouldn't be an option for me because I don't have the fridge space, but I wonder how well that would work for someone who does?

That's basically the process Jamil describes in Brewing Classic Styles: he cold crashes once he reaches the flavour profile he wants. Presumably this is even easier with a keg, since you could vent it occasionally if there was a slow build up of gas even at fridge temperatures. But it's not an option for me either, since I don't keg and I don't have enough fridge space to store that many bottles.

In regards to cascade brewing, I believe it's lacto and sacc. Some of their Brett offerings are fairly newer.... I believe it's a lacto, wait on sour level, sacc pitch then fruit it or oak it for complexity? (Along with a grain complexity)I'd be surprised if their wasn't blending done post aging. This is from what I've gathered from various searches...

It'll be something I'll be looking to play with in the future

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Cascade does a clean primary fermentation with saccharomyces then fills barrels with the beer where they inoculate themselves with lactobacillus only. Brett is in most of their beers tho but it comes the barrel and/or the whole fruit they add. They don't sour mash. They just have a very strong lacto strain.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm new to brewing with bacteria with my first brett only beer being brewed this weekend. I have done lots of research though and have found that in order to keep the beer from getting too thin, it is necessary to use a portion of unmalted grains like spelt or raw wheat. With my experiment I will be using 1lb of raw wheat to test this theory.

I'm new to brewing with bacteria with my first brett only beer being brewed this weekend. I have done lots of research though and have found that in order to keep the beer from getting too thin, it is necessary to use a portion of unmalted grains like spelt or raw wheat. With my experiment I will be using 1lb of raw wheat to test this theory.

I think most of Russian Rivers sour beers (other than Sonambic / Beat) are all malt, although most contain a portion of wheat malt. From the recipes I've seen from Jolly Pumpkin, he tends to use some wheat malt and flaked barley. I think Crooked stave is the only one I've heard talking about spelt, I think he also mentioned rye as something that will add body to brett fermented beers.

I made a beer last year that was about 94% 'Heritage' six row and 6% malted oats, I primaried with brett and then added JP, 3F, and Allagash dregs. It's down to 1.002 and has nice body.

I think most of Russian Rivers sour beers (other than Sonambic / Beat) are all malt, although most contain a portion of wheat malt. From the recipes I've seen from Jolly Pumpkin, he tends to use some wheat malt and flaked barley. I think Crooked stave is the only one I've heard talking about spelt, I think he also mentioned rye as something that will add body to brett fermented beers.

I made a beer last year that was about 94% 'Heritage' six row and 6% malted oats, I primaried with brett and then added JP, 3F, and Allagash dregs. It's down to 1.002 and has nice body.

In addition to this, Crooked Stave uses oats in a few things, if I'm not mistaken.

I'd recommend this. The reason being is that brett doesn't produce the glycerol that sacch does, which leaves the beer feeling thin. Flaked oats, flaked wheat, etc is a good option to add some body to fill in for what the brett isn't producing.

Here's a thread that I started awhile ago - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/all-brett-c-beers-tasting-thin-355084/

Good information and good to know. I would assume then, that even malted the starches or composition of wheat, oats, etc. even malted have a benefit to the mouthfeel of the final beer not being completely consumed by the brett. My next all brett beer will have all malted grains and will use the same strain of brett to compare between the two.

Here's a blog post about one of the beers I mentioned in the start of this thread, in case anyone's interested. The oats definitely helped with the thinness, and the flavours from the candi syrup are subtle but present.

Latest posts

Back