First sour - sanity check

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gorlox18

Reaction score
I’m brewing my first sour using wisdom gleaned from other posts here. My target beer would be something like a super sour cherry pie beer (dry), or a cheap knockoff of Wicked Weed’s Cerise Morte 😅. A little funk would be a-ok with me

6# pilsner LME
OG: 1.057

I pitched 2 Goodbelly shots (~40B cells) and 11g packet of Nottingham at 95F.

Fermentation is going strong after 12 hours, (hot Notty, obviously)

I plan to add a pack of tart Cherry jungle powder after 5 days, and letting that ride for another two weeks

I considered a hop tea to stop lacto production, but since I’m aiming for maximum sourness, I think it’s better to let pH stop it naturally.

My main question is, what kind of crazy flavors should I be expecting from the Nottingham fermented so hot?

I know that the target beer would likely need some Brett involvement, which I haven’t planned for. My main purpose in making this batch is to learn lessons for the next one and get a sour under my belt. I’ve considered adding dregs from a suitable bottle (unfortunately I don’t have any more cerise morte), but have also seen specific Brett strain for “cherry pie” flavor (wyl5526). I’m completely open to questions and suggestions. I also recently moved from east coast to the west coast, so if you can recommend beers I should replace my cerise mort addiction with while I hone a recipe, I’m all ears.

Last edited:
Replying because I want to follow this to see some insights from people who know more about this than me, but I'd be worried about fusels from fermenting so hot.

Maybe I just don't know about something here, but why not go with a proper strain or strains here, and what's the idea of fermenting the Nottingham hot?

Welcome!

I was trying out the “souring - modern methods” technique of co-pitching yeast as normal alongside the lacto. I read lacto likes it a little warmer, and I had Nottingham on hand so I rolled with it. This is only my fourth beer so I didn’t really consider fusels but in hindsight you’re probably right.

I pulled a sample today after airlock activity stopped.
1.020 SG, moderate-low sourness, and light bodied. I added the packet of cherry powder in hopes to kick up fermentation and lower the gravity a bit more.

I lack temp control and I’m a little concerned the drop from my initial ~82F fermenting temp (approx 36hrs) to 70F caused fermentation to prematurely stall.

I considered both strains and will likely branch out to try them at some point. I don’t have dedicated souring equipment and figured L. plantarnum was a very easy strain to start with since it’s so hop intolerant. I have no hang ups on traditionality, so really open to any option!

Update: after slight airlock activity (likely due to cherry powder) and steady high 60s ambient temp, I took another SG of 1.020. I decided to move it near the dehumidifier (measuring ~75F localized) and wrap it in a blanket to try and increase the temp to see if fermentation picks back up.

The tart Cherry powder added more “tart” than “cherry” in a nice way that added a slightly different sour layer to the lacto sourness observed prior to its addition.

Back