Recipe Critique: Sour Ginger Peach with Sourvisae

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kadozen

Reaction score
A while back I bought a pack of Sourvisae because I was intrigued with safer sours. I decided to try it with something akin to a Berliner recipe and wanted feed back on co-pitching the Sourvisae with Voss or another quick yeast.

The recipe itself is simple enough:
50/50 Pilsner and Wheat malt for an OG of 1.032
7 IBU of Magnum
and lastly, 5.2 oz of chopped or grated ginger in the last 10 minutes of the boil for this go around. Might bump that up at a later iteration.

Peach flavor at kegging.

Now the part I'm more confused by. The guys at my LHBS had a Raspberry Sourvisae that they had to dilute due to it being overwhelmingly sour. After talking to them about it, they said a good course of action would probably co-pitch with something like Voss to help mitigate the sourness from being too much.

And that's where I'm at with it. Has anyone done anything like this? I have half a pack of Philly Sour I could use in place of the Sourvisae, but from what I've read, Philly needs some simple sugar during it's Lacto phase and could come out otherwise underwhelming without it.

I've used Sourvisiae straight a few times and the pH is always below 3. I've copitched with Lallemand Wit (1:3 Sourvisiae:Wit), Abbaye (1:3), and Nottingham (1:2). The Nottingham copitch came in at 3.3, while the other two were still ~3. It's hard to say about Voss given how assertive it is; I'd probably try 1:2 if I wanted it quite sour, and 1:5 if I wanted less.

Back