Kumquat Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

helibrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Inspired by the recent Zymurgy article about kumquats I decided to brew a kumquat Saison. Going to use WLP565 and very lightly hop with Willamette. Plan on using 2 pounds of kumquats (split lengthwise and de-seeded) in secondary (2 weeks). I'll keep you posted.

Brewing this 3/9/14

8.25 lbs Pilsner malt (Castle)
.25 lbs Acidulated malt
.25 lbs Munich malt
.125 lbs Crystal 60
1 lb Simplicity Candi Sugar
1 lb Golden Candi Sugar

.4 oz Magnum for 60 min
2 oz Willamette for 5 min

WLP565 Belgian Saison I

Going to mash this at 149F

2 lbs of kumquats in secondary, cut lengthwise and de-seeded. Age for 10 days.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Can't wait to hear how this turned out. Was looking for a new summer recipe that is a little different.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Subscribed! Please let us know how this turns out. I was also inspired to make a kumquat saison for a fruit beer competition after reading that article, but couldn't source the kumquats in time.

What variety of kumquat did you use?

It has been over a month. How did it turn out? Do you have the rest of the recipe? I am thinking about brewing something like this in the next month or so.

I did a fairly standard american wheat ale (OG 1.045) that I then kumquated as per the article. Could only find nagami kumquats in bulk, although as per the article from previous tastings I'd agree that meiwa are probably a better choice. Used about 25 surface sanitized, cut lengthwise as about a 5 day dry hop type addition after main fermentation was subsiding. I'd also zested 2 navel oranges and added at end of boil.

Came out pretty nice I'd say its fairly subtle, I may double the number of kumquats next time. Didn't bother with de seeding the kumquats and is fine although its fairly cloudy as a wheat beer with american hefeweizen yeast so that may have masked any clarity problem with using seeded fruit.

Back