Kegerator Rebuild : Replace with all new components

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Roszyk

Reaction score
I have been searching the web for a few days now. I am looking to replace all of the residential components of my kegerator with commercial ones, such as a True system would have. I have a lot of time and love into this machine, so I don't want to start over. Simply buying a new/used True beer dispenser is an option, but I am looking to design custom made machines from scratch.

Does anyone have any experience designing something like this?

Here is a quick article about the machine that I am looking to fix: Stories : Boy Could I Go for a Jenny Now! - Roszyk.com

Thank you all for any help that comes my way!

Cool look. My first question would be, how is it vented for any heat the motor might build up? I am assuming the fridge is encased in the wooden box? I dig the look of it though, and I would bet it would be a pretty cool addition to a mancave or dedicated bar area.

I think what makes a True or Bev-Air unit better is the quality of the refrigeration unit. Beer lines and taps are standard and upgradable on all units. If building from scratch, use EVA Barrier beer and gas lines with push to connect fittings such as Duotight. Also upgrade your taps to a front sealing tap such a Perlicks or Intertap.

EDIT
Also go with a good quality regulator such as Taprite or MicroMatic.

As WS Smith says…. the primary differences between residential and commercial in a direct draw system will be the cooling durability/power/efficiency…. if that’s not presenting any issues for you, perhaps simply updating the serving and gas lines for better serviceability is all that’s needed.. eva or 235 lines with john guest or duotight fittings can reduce line lengths and allow for rapid repair, switching clean for dirty, making the system more serviceable and efficient to service.

if foaming issues happen from time to time i’d look at switching to pressure control keg quick connect fittings (duotight) if you’re using ball lock. if using sankey then there’s some nice upgrades like low profile and ergonomic D style couplers that are a sweet upgrade.

I also agree there’s nice faucet options with forward seal and spring auto-close options.

I don’t personally care for the CO2 tank on the outside but this may be a steampunk-style element you’ve chosen (with the copper pipe) or it may be due to space concerns…

you mentioned you didn’t want to completely start from scratch but if you’re entertaining that idea, I’d probably also look at a tap tower arrangement versus a through the door shank style setup with a fridge. it increases options to have bartenders pouring for guests while still facing them, easier to move, options for chilled towers and tower options, branding and signage on the cabinet part of the tower and possibilities for glass rinsers, pass-thru drip trays and such.

You could also explore things like e-ink displays for what’s on tap powered by a raspberry pico…

for festivals and events, portable glass rinsers are pretty cool, i’ve seen them done DIY with a pressured keg of water and a 5gal bucket for waste https://a.co/d/hbUmVpY

Last edited:
As WS Smith says…. the primary differences between residential and commercial in a direct draw system will be the cooling durability/power/efficiency…. if that’s not presenting any issues for you, perhaps simply updating the serving and gas lines for better serviceability is all that’s needed.. eva or 235 lines with john guest or duotight fittings can reduce line lengths and allow for rapid repair, switching clean for dirty, making the system more serviceable and efficient to service.

if foaming issues happen from time to time i’d look at switching to pressure control keg quick connect fittings (duotight) if you’re using ball lock. if using sankey then there’s some nice upgrades like low profile and ergonomic D style couplers that are a sweet upgrade.

I also agree there’s nice faucet options with forward seal and spring auto-close options.

I don’t personally care for the CO2 tank on the outside but this may be a steampunk-style element you’ve chosen (with the copper pipe) or it may be due to space concerns…

you mentioned you didn’t want to completely start from scratch but if you’re entertaining that idea, I’d probably also look at a tap tower arrangement versus a through the door shank style setup with a fridge. it increases options to have bartenders pouring for guests while still facing them, easier to move, options for chilled towers and tower options, branding and signage on the cabinet part of the tower and possibilities for glass rinsers, pass-thru drip trays and such.

You could also explore things like e-ink displays for what’s on tap powered by a raspberry pico…

for festivals and events, portable glass rinsers are pretty cool, i’ve seen them done DIY with a pressured keg of water and a 5gal bucket for waste https://a.co/d/hbUmVpY
edited to add the glass rinser idea

If switching the design to a draft tower as @rawlus suggested, you would want to add a tower cooling fan. These are standard on True and Bev-Air units, and some higher end residential units.

Draft towers can be an artistic expression as well. Do an Internet search and you'll find some really cool ideas.

custom made machines from scratch
Are you talking about re-building refrigeration using True (or similar) commercial-level refrigeration components? Quite often, replacement parts (compressor, etc.) add up to more than a new unit. Not the voice of experience here, but you may be better served by cannibalizing a used commercial fridge (not even necessarily intended for beer) for the components for your ambitious project.

Back