Best recommendations for a mini-fridge for a kegerator build?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lumpher

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all: It's time for me to build a new kegerator. I have all the parts except the mini-fridge I want to use, including the 2-tap tower, spouts, handles, etc, already. Looking for it to hold 2 5g kegs, maybe in the 4.2-4.4 cubic feet range. These change so often it's hard to keep up with the models. Any good recommendations that won't break the bank?

Following.

I am tired of lifting full kegs up and over into my current chest freezer. I’m not getting any younger…

I am currently considering this one:

EdgeStar BR3002SS 24 Inch Wide Kegerator Conversion Refrigerator for Full Size Keg - Stainless Steel https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G7FQL8...pin_lstpd_RXB63KK6J3S3RQ6ND7GB&language=en_US

It will fit 3 corneys and solves the concern of cutting into the top of a fridge, but it is more expensive.

Just my opinion; Build-quality on appliances has become pretty random in the last 20 years, so now I look at energy efficiency so at least the lower hydro bill might help cushion the blow of a unit failing years earlier than expected. With refrigeration appliances I've been very excited about R-600 (isobutane) units. They're about 33% more efficient at thermal-transfer and that means shorter cycle times and a lot less power consumption. Approvals on R-600 charge sizes have been slow to roll out, but if you can get an R-600, your bank account will thank you. The Kegland units use it and my series-x only uses a fraction of power that the Continental KC-24 that it replaced. I'm not particularly advocating a Kegland unit, just look for R-600, or at least R-290 which runs a close second.

They're about 33% more efficient at thermal-transfer and that means shorter cycle times and a lot less power consumption.

I can not say for certain but I'd postulate that this could lead to increased reliability.

All else being equal anyhow, if the manufacturers don't skimp on components because of this.

I can not say for certain but I'd postulate that this could lead to increased reliability.

All else being equal anyhow, if the manufacturers don't skimp on components because of this.
Yeah..that's the one problem I have with the @KegLand units; They put the condenser coils in the outer walls which I just can't make total sense of. If I'd designed it, I'd have used a brick style condenser in back rather than keep the heat right next to the insulation inside the housing. ...probably costs.

Following.

I am tired of lifting full kegs up and over into my current chest freezer. I’m not getting any younger…

EdgeStar BR3002SS 24 Inch Wide Kegerator Conversion Refrigerator for Full Size Keg - Stainless Steel https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G7FQL8...pin_lstpd_RXB63KK6J3S3RQ6ND7GB&language=en_US

It will fit 3 corneys and solves the concern of cutting into the top of a fridge, but it is more expensive.
Thanks for the link. I looked up that same model at Lowes, and it was $60 more expensive there.

Following.

I'm also tired of lifting kegs into the keezer. Also tired of having to crawl halfway into it to clean it.

Been looking around for options to accommodate three corny kegs and came across that Edgestar. It has mixed reviews. It says it will hold 3 kegs, some reviews say it doesn't. Also, build quality and reliability are hit and miss.

I'm leaning hard towards this : KOMOS® Kegerator | Digital Thermostat | Casters | Regulator | Fits 1 Half Barrel Keg or 4 Corny Kegs | No Tower |

It's a little more spendy but I can't find any bad reviews. We'll see.

I'm about 95% sure that's the same base unit as the Kegland Series-X... If so I love mine, with a couple reservations: Using R-600, it's freindly on the power-bill, BUT: The condenser coils are built into the side walls of the unit, and I just think that's a poor design choice to put a broad heat-source next to the insulated inards...Like I said, nice on the bills, but could have been better. While I love I can fit 4 kegs to feed 4 taps, until I changed out to 3mm ID EVABarrier with only 37" lines, the coils of 4mm lines had to hang in the way, or just get in the way of the small overhead....was extremely annoying, maybe more so than for me than the average person because I'm disabled and have a real hard time doing things while bent over or squatting and diffuclty dealing with the low headroom.
A note: Again, if it is the same base unit as the Kegland, the controller board works with the most efficient compressor cycle when set to Celcius..setting to Faranheit makes it cylce more often and does make a noticable difference in temp swings and the power-consumption, and at least in the case of earlier units I've read about, appears to dramatically shorten it's life.
As said though, I addressed all my issues (except for the condensors) and I'm very pleased with it.
:mug:

Latest posts

Back