Coffee maker with grinder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
Greetings to all,

Looks like the family has bought into my roasting of coffee and it seems they are actually making it. I have a Cuisinart grinder and heat up water and do a pour thru with a filter and little holder that fits on the cup. I am thinking of moving up to an all in one machine that will grind and brew at the same time. The only thing I have noticed is that I need to use a bit more coffee than the normal Kuerig pod to make it to my liking. Anybody use an all in one machine that will allow you to adjust the amount of coffee ground and brewed? Any recommendations on what is a good machine, or is the pour over method I am doing now a better way?
I am very happy that I am getting into this as it is fun, not too much time spent and at least the results are enjoyed by more than just me.

Any input is welcomed.

Greetings to all,

Looks like the family has bought into my roasting of coffee and it seems they are actually making it. I have a Cuisinart grinder and heat up water and do a pour thru with a filter and little holder that fits on the cup. I am thinking of moving up to an all in one machine that will grind and brew at the same time. The only thing I have noticed is that I need to use a bit more coffee than the normal Kuerig pod to make it to my liking. Anybody use an all in one machine that will allow you to adjust the amount of coffee ground and brewed? Any recommendations on what is a good machine, or is the pour over method I am doing now a better way?
I am very happy that I am getting into this as it is fun, not too much time spent and at least the results are enjoyed by more than just me.

Any input is welcomed.
NO!!!!! Don't do it!!
Sorry; that is just my immediate not well thought out reaction. Using a proper burr-grinder, coffee is at it's best if you leave the fresh grinds sit about 10 minutes before brewing, and yes; Fast-pour. I just moved on to my fourth Bunn machine; the SBS, which I can highly recommend...owing to the extra shrouding of the resevoir, it's notacibly more energy effiecient as my previous Bunn BX and it pours just a bit faster... all I need now is to adapt a SS basket with the D-frame to get perfection.
Just sayin'
:coff4:

We mostly still use an old Mr. Coffee drip machine and separate grinder.

The Mr. Coffee has been a dandy. Heats the water to good temp and brew time is about right.

For a special treat I may do pour over or French press on weekend. I have an Aeropress I used for a while. Should bring that out again. Could get a pretty decent cup out of that too. Just for work/weekdays, the pot is more convenient and still pretty good.

Are you just making coffee or do you also make milk based drinks (steamed milk) and espresso?

The Philips line of fully automatic espresso machines are nice, I've been using the 3200 for quite some time.

https://www.usa.philips.com/c-m-ho/...ility=all&filters=SUPER_AUTOMATIC_ESPRESSO_SU
The Gaggia Magenta line is also nice:

https://www.wholelattelove.com/products/gaggia-magenta-plus-super-automatic-espresso-machine
Here are some online retailers with both:

https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/
https://www.wholelattelove.com/

Thanks to all for the replies. It is mostly just coffee. My wife will add creamer and maybe some flavorings if she feels the need. LOL. But, for the most part, I grind the beans and put the grinds into an airtight container that my wife had. This seems to keep things pretty fresh and easy for them in the morning. I don't think my palate has completely come into tune with the home roasted as it still tastes a bit weak, but certainly isn't bitter and harsh like Starbucks or Peetes. Thanks again to all.

I have morning coffee ritual.

Measure out 1L water and put that in the Mr. Coffee.

Run faucet for hot water, put that in old school thermal pot to warm it.

Measure out 55g (for the current beans) and put that in grinder.

Start Mr. Coffee and when it's spitting hot water prepare the grind.

Put filter (Bunn, because they are taller) in basket, grind beans, add to basket.

Put basket in Mr. Coffee and put water arm over grounds until saturated, then put arm back over reservoir.

Let grounds bloom for 30-45 seconds.

Put arm back over grounds, close lid in Mr. Coffee, insert carafe.

When coffee is done dump out water from thermal pot and dump in freshly brewed coffee.

Relax and enjoy.

Last edited:
I have one of these German dealies…

https://tchibo.us/products/the-tchibo
Beans in the hopper. Water in the tank. Coffee out in the cup. Bit of a learning curve to get it just right. If you take your regular cleaning and maintenance seriously, it’s great. If not, you will hate it. I love mine. It’s loud. It’s demanding. But it works well. I clean and descale it like the Health Inspector is gonna rate it. After all, it IS brewing equipment.

They sold it on a Black Friday deal this year for $299. I think I paid $375 for mine with 2 lbs of coffee beans.

It’s better and easier just to do separate. Stick two things together and they each do their job half as well. For $50 plus shipping you can have my spare grinder, it’s a Baratza encore with conical burr grinders. It’s an amazing little grinder for the price.

Interesting. I've not heard that before. Why is that?

I weigh out and then spritz the beans with distilled water and then immediately grind with a burr grinder.
Thanks for asking.... I'm trying to remember but I think I picked up from a magazine I used to get in the 90's called "Coffee Journal". I've been doing it that way for 30 years. I think it was something to do with the oils exposure to air or something...what I do know emperically is that it's most noticable with oily dark roasts, and less so with drier medium roasts... it always tastes best when I give it the 10 mins. [I got injured and lost a huge amount of the reasons 'why' in a multitude of areas, but I like to try and revisit those in the hopes of reconnecting axons...For the record though; for my entire life I let the science lead, and developed my habits based around experiments to test and cement my comprehension...it's really frustrating to have lost that. If no one else weighs in here on that I'll try and see if I stll have the magazines around.]

Last edited:
Thanks for asking.... I'm trying to remember but I think I picked up from a magazine I used to get in the 90's called "Coffee Journal". I've been doing it that way for 30 years. I think it was something to do with the oils exposure to air or something...what I do know emperically is that it's most noticable with oily dark roasts, and less so with drier medium roasts... it always tastes best when I give it the 10 mins. [I got injured and lost a huge amount of the reasons 'why' in a multitude of areas, but I like to try and revisit those in the hopes of reconnecting axons...For the record though; for my entire life I let the science lead, and developed my habits based around experiments to test and cement my comprehension...it's really frustrating to have lost that. If no one else weighs in here on that I'll try and see if I stll have the magazines around.]
Thanks for that. Sorry to hear of your memory issue and best of luck working to get back to what it once was.

I used to drink very strong dark roast coffee but that no longer appeals to me. I now much prefer a nice tasty light roast as I feel I can taste the actual coffee, rather than being pummeled by intense roastiness. I'm still in search of a coffee to call my favorite. I found one I really liked this past summer while in Colorado, but their shipping prices deter me from ordering directly from them.

As an aside, our niece is married to a very prominent coffee roaster who has roasted in NYC, LA, SF, Oakland, and is currently living in DC. Unfortunately I only see them once every few years.

Last edited:
Greetings to all,

Any input is welcomed.
We’ve had a Jura Impressa for a number of years. Very reliable and you set the volume of each grind. Excellent coffee!

I own a variaty of coffee machines.
My favorite is my vacuum coffee pot, but it takes the longest to brew a cup.
The Jura crapped out and I replaced it with the counter top Miele which get the most use as it is produces the quickest espresso/coffee as well as a stronger cup of coffee which I prefer. Unfortunately the one-touch machines tend to clog up when using oily beans.
When I go into the office I prefer my french press (not shown) as the coffee machine at work sucks.
The built-in Miele was an older unit that I restored and kept it for a year before selling it to my neighbor, mainly because it has a manual milk frother.
IMG_0161.JPGIMG_0566.jpgIMG_0573.jpgIMG_1221.JPG

Great posts all. Thank you for the input. Going to digest it a bit and talk to the "accountant" and see what she thinks. I don't mine the pour over but for her going to work it takes a bit more time. Anyway, thanks to all

I’ve got a De’Longhi all in one machine. Does espresso and coffee. You can adjust the strength on the fly. I don’t remember the model but a middle level one. They make several models starting around $1000. Definitely check them out. Makes way better coffee than a drip machine. There are ways to make better coffee but they take way more effort. What you get for your money is a great coffee with zero effort.

Eh. Chemix and French press make great coffee and not much more work.

Last edited:
I never got into buying green beans and roasting my own coffee. We have a couple grinders, I used to buy whole bean and grind my own a long time ago. Have a french press that hasn’t seen the light of day in years. At one point I worked at a place where I wasn’t allowed to have an electric coffee maker on my desk so I bought a manual coffee maker and used that with their hot water. I used to buy Gevalia through the mail back in the day,

I don’t do any of that anymore since Keurig came along. I keep a variety of K-cups. Some decaf, some flavors (I’m partial to the Cinnamon Vanilla sometimes, my wife only drinks Mocha on the weekends), and a variety of light roast, medium roast, and dark roast cups. More than I need. We have a discount grocery store near us where I get a box of 12 K-cups for $2.50 or $3.00 if its a name like Starbucks.

My wife uses a drip maker during the week. She takes a big cup to work (30 oz?) either because they don’t have a coffee maker where she works, she doesn’t have time to use it, or she doesn’t like the coffee at work, I’m not sure. She doesn’t want to make multiple K-Cups because it takes too much time in the morning. She sets it up on the timer. Again we get bags of coffee for $2 or $3 at the discount place near us. Been using it for years, no complaints. You just can only buy what they have.

We also have the K-cup adapter that lets you use your own coffee to make a K-Cup. Really have not used that a whole lot.

So we’re using 2 different coffee makers taking up space on the counter, because we use both every day. I’ve been thinking about getting one that can do both a pot and a K-cup - but I haven’t really researched it. I don’t need a grinder.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back