New Kegerator Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I just got myself a new Komos kegerator. I currently have a Sanke keg connection with ball lock posts on it for easy swapping. One problem I am having is that I get a leak if I tighten the beverage ball lock too much because the rubber washer between the sanke coupler and ball lock post pops out (internally) . I replaced the washer and I still had the problem. I noticed If I hand tightened the posts they don’t seem to leak if I don’t use too much force. Does anyone know if this is by design or normal. Any suggestions? It’s not leaking currently but I want to avoid future issues.

Attachments

• IMG_3398.jpeg
    IMG_3398.jpeg
    694.1 KB · Views: 0
It shouldn't be tightened too far beyond hand tight and I'm wondering it overtightening deformed the washer, but you said you used a new one. Is there any chance the liquid is running down from higher up? ..I noticed one cause for concern right away:
badduo.jpg

My first recommendation would be that if you wish to use ball-lock disconnects with sanke's in a kegerator that doesn't have adequate headroom, is to get a low-profile sanke coupler. eg:
https://www.taprite.com/ft44t-ft44t
:mug:

It shouldn't be tightened too far beyond hand tight and I'm wondering it overtightening deformed the washer, but you said you used a new one. Is there any chance the liquid is running down from higher up? ..I noticed one cause for concern right away:
View attachment 843429
My first recommendation would be that if you wish to use ball-lock disconnects with sanke's in a kegerator that doesn't have adequate headroom, is to get a low-profile sanke coupler. eg:
https://www.taprite.com/ft44t-ft44t
Yea, I noticed that also. Luckily, I confirmed it wasn't leaking from that point, but I will still fix it. I didn't find out about the clearance issue until after getting the keg :(. But it works right now; luckily, the leak stopped when I removed the ball lock post, then reseated the washer and only hand-tightened it. I used a wrench yesterday.

It shouldn't be tightened too far beyond hand tight and I'm wondering it overtightening deformed the washer,
They look similar to my "carbonation caps" which also leak as soon as they get tightened a hair too much. The "rubber" washer deforms and flips out of position. The "rubber" washer is probably silicone, it deforms very quickly.

If you want to get a few mm's more clearance, you can always swag your EVABarrier over a swivel-nut and clamp it.
It's not a huge difference in height, but it does eliminate the worry about sideways pressure on the hose:
BarbFinis.jpg

I tried to detail it in my switch to 3mm ID EVABarrier, but it'd be easier with 4mm which is what it looks like you have.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/thread...mm-monotight-connector-duotight-shank.730515/

Back