Mechanical thermostat replacement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phitaus76

Reaction score
I have a Summit Appliance fullsize beer dispenser(10+ years old) that runs continuously and needs a new thermostat. The original version is a cheap looking mechanical thermostat that has rusted out. Summit Appliance wants $75 + shipping, etc. to replace what looks like a $15 part that never worked very well. Does anyone know if I can replace this with an inexpensive mercury or bi-metal thermostat or even a digital thermostat that will provide much more accurate temp control for my kegerator? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Ward

Welcome to the forums at Homebrew Talk, @phitaus76 :mug:

You can certainly bypass the original, most likely bulb-and-capillary thermostat, by removing the AC IN and SWITCHED AC wires (most likely black and red, respectively), connect them together, then plug the line cord into an external controller ala an Inkbird ITC-308 or something similar and with its temperature sensor inside the dispenser.

Et voila! A digitally temperature controlled beer dispenser!

Cheers!

@day_trippr gave the right answer. Actually, it sounds like your rusty thermostat has already effectively been bypassed, and you could technically just plug into an external controller without any rewiring. But recommending that could be potentially unsafe, so I won't.

Thank you both for the suggestions. It looks like an external temperature controller will be significantly less expensive than a replacement from Summit Appliance. When connecting the the two existing wires that were attached to the old thermostat, do I need to use a heat shrink butt connector, similar to the ones I use on my boat for a waterproof connection or is simply covering them with electrical tape sufficient?

Back