Kegerator Question(s)!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubba_drums

Reaction score
Hello everyone, just like most of us on here, I'm a long time listener, but first time caller.

For my 30th Birthday, my wife said I could get a kegerator so I can mostly get out of the bottling business. I don't have the space to dedicate to a chest freezer conversion, so I'm looking at a dedicated beer dispenser.

The kegco models sold at beverage factory look like a reasonable starting point, but I'm waffling between home brew connections or commercial keg couplers. I would like the flexibilty to be able to serve commercial product as well as my homebrew. I know I can retrofit from either set up. I'm curious as to what the experts here find to be easier.

Ball lock to commercial OR Commercial to ball lock.
(With respect to the fact there are multiple types of Commercial couplers available)

Thanks for the read, and I look forward to your answers.
Cheers!:mug:

Not an expert, but read the forms a bit, and built my own kegerator a bit ago. I think that ball lock works best mostly (only) for homebrew. Maybe the best option is a sort of quick disconnect from the tap to easily connect to whatever keg you like, or maybe even some sort of Y connector with ball lock leading to different connections.

My understanding is that a mid point disconnect (or line restriction) is not desirable in a system due to the extra fluid tension in the lines, which is something else to worry about when buying a kegerator and trying to balance the system. I bought perlick s650 taps in hopes to be able to easily modify the fluid tension. Ill try to update how well the taps work when my kegs carbonate.

Cheers!

Put MFL/swivel nuts on the lines. Then you can buy a Corny QDs with MFL fittings, and Sankey coupler with MFL tailpieces. Switching between the two will be as simple as a gentle turn with a 9/16" wrench.

The most expensive part of the setup will be the commercial tap. Air and liquid lines are not pricey. I have a commercial tap and lines and a set of pin lock connections and lines. Each setup has their own liquid and gas lines. You could use the same liquid and gas lines if you wanted. But again, hose is not pricey and mine came pre-assembled so it has the fancy clamps, not a regular hose clamp.

For me going back and fourth is easy. The liquid line connects to the shank, I can swap those back and forth easily. The air lines connect at the regulator and I can swap those easily.

I got these for my sanke coupler. To me worth it was worth the price of not having to disconnect lines every time. I know it's not hard but it is a nuisance. Also with 10 lines I'm paranoid about leaks so I like not having to unscrew things. These make it so simple to switch between sanke and cornies.

I got these for my sanke coupler. To me worth it was worth the price of not having to disconnect lines every time. I know it's not hard but it is a nuisance. Also with 10 lines I'm paranoid about leaks so I like not having to unscrew things. These make it so simple to switch between sanke and cornies.

Nice, those look pretty handy.

Back