Keezer Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billr1

Reaction score
I've been looking around at some of the keezer projects in the forum and online and have noticed that most people do not insulate their collars. I was thinking it would be easy to cut some Styrofoam insulation boards into strips and attach them to the inside of the collar for added efficiency. Would this be a wise idea or not worth the trouble/added expense?

It wouldn't hurt. You would just have to be sure your shanks were long enough to pass through the wood and foam.

It's definitely a good idea. Many of the keezer builds do have insulation. It's dirt cheap and takes a few minutes to cut it out. It will cut down on condensation, save energy, and protect the wood on the inside. I waited until the collar was put together, then cut and glued the insulation on there. Sealed the seams with foil tape, then caulked the crap out of everything once it was on the freezer.

Keep in mind that to you're going to want the shanks to be rather snug, and as you tighten the nut on the inside it'll just keep compressing the insulation. So you'll want to cut out a circle or put in some shims so the nuts have something firm to tighten against.

Excellent! Thanks for the feedback! I will definitely add some insulation when I build mine.

Latest posts

Back