Secondary regulator on inside of keezer lid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slurms

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just bought a 4 body secondary regulator without really thinking of where it'll go. I don't think I can mount it on the inside of the collar and have enough room to pull kegs in and out. And don't want it outside for looks.

Does anyone have any experience mounting a regulator to the inside of the keezer lid? Standard chest freezer with a hard plastic liner on there with what I assume is foam insulation.

Not sure if screws will have enough to grip onto. Maybe construction adhesive some plywood on there and screw it to that? Any suggestions would be great

On my two previous collar-less keezers I used epoxy to glue wood to the inside of the lid/under the lid liner to attach a 6-way gas manifold on one side with the other in case I decided to install any secondary regs. While I was at it I replaced the oem fiberglas insulation with rigid high-efficiency foam board.

1679870391846.jpeg

You just need to do some careful measuring to figure out the right height for the risers to meet the lid liner when it's installed...

1679870471815.jpeg

Obviously this required being able to separate the lid liner from the lid. My current keezer, built from a brand new 2021 model 14cf chest freezer, came with a lid that had the liner foamed-in-place and totally not removable without destroying it. So I built my own lid :)

Cheers!

Your glue-and-screw plan makes good sense. The regulator's weight makes screwing to the phatic too weak, I agree. If the glue isn't adequate you could consider screwing the board to the lid down through the top.

I got away with just screws but my 4-body regulator is mounted on the steel inside surface of my (vertical) kegerator door, not hanging from the bottom plastic surface of a chest freezer lid.

Seconding the glue and screw method. I took that approach for a three body secondary regulator. Liquid nails-ed the crap out of it and then screwed it down. No problems for several months now.

You might also think about using hanger bolts or something where you can remove/replace the regulator without removing screws. Maybe it won't be necessary, but if you are putting in the effort and plan to keep the keezer for a good while then it's simple enough to do.

Back