Keezer in Europe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CervezaMaLa

Reaction score
I'm about to be sent to Italy (military move) and trying to figure out:

1) Can I use my keezer there with a typical 110/220V power convertor (will the hertz difference affect it...will I somehow burn it out)

2) How much wattage does a typical 5 cubic foot freezer use? I know they cycle on and off, so I guess I'm looking for the peak usage so I can get a transformer that would cover it.

3) Will I need to consider something different with my temp controller? Right now I don't use one (GASP!) since the freezer has a fridge mode that works fine. I picked up the cheap Inkbird controller assuming I would be building a new keezer in Italy and need a controller. Not sure if anything special would be needed (just plug freezer into Inkbird, Inkinbird into transformer, transformer into socket)

I understand the basics of 110/220 and appliances that use both...just not sure about a chest freezer...I had planned on just taking the guts of it with me a buying/making a new one once I got there.

Thanks!

I'm not as good as many out there, so I'm sure you'll get more ideas but I would dig into your keezer and try and read the power specs on the actual compressor motor. A lot of things like motors can handle 220 or 120, and we just have them wired in the US for our 120V power, but if the motor says i can handle 220V then you just have to swap out the motor cord with a European one when you get there.

It seems to me it would be a lot more cost effective taking your taps etc. and making a new keezer there using a freezer made for European use. Maybe even getting a European temperature controller.....

How much would it cost to move your Keezer from VA to Italy??

It doesn't cost me anything to move it...military will move it, or I can put it in storage.

I'm bringing over other electronics that I will use with a step-down transformer...just for some reason I'm thinking the frequency cycle difference will harm it...though it might not be any different than the other electronics. I know the frequency messes up clocks, but that might be it.

Hiya. I just moved from GA to England, same reasons. I use a us spec 110-120v keezer on a transformer. It works fine, and yes, transformers are vampire power suckers as they hum and suck power even when the controller is in the off state, but they don't suck that much extra juice. I have a uk spec kill-a-watt and I did the math and the cost to run the keezer was about 2 pounds a month. The hertz difference has not seemed to be an issue, it works fine. Might compress a bit slower, but burn out is usually more of an issue when going from 50 to 60 hz not the other way around. Basically anything with a motor will run slower, including your March pump.

You will be given transformers by the government. We have 4 of the big 2000 watt ones, which retail for almost $200 a piece! They use them as doorstops at the admin office where I work, so don't buy any yourself. Buy whatever you can in the states. Europe is horribly expensive although Italy isn't as bad as the uk and Scandinavia.

I'm about to be sent to Italy (military move) and trying to figure out:

1) Can I use my keezer there with a typical 110/220V power convertor (will the hertz difference affect it...will I somehow burn it out)

2) How much wattage does a typical 5 cubic foot freezer use? I know they cycle on and off, so I guess I'm looking for the peak usage so I can get a transformer that would cover it.

3) Will I need to consider something different with my temp controller? Right now I don't use one (GASP!) since the freezer has a fridge mode that works fine. I picked up the cheap Inkbird controller assuming I would be building a new keezer in Italy and need a controller. Not sure if anything special would be needed (just plug freezer into Inkbird, Inkinbird into transformer, transformer into socket)

I understand the basics of 110/220 and appliances that use both...just not sure about a chest freezer...I had planned on just taking the guts of it with me a buying/making a new one once I got there.

Thanks!

Hi, we have EU STANDARD ITC-308 temperature controller now. I think it can fit for you.

http://www.amazon.it/dp/B016EYB03G/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It is wide voltage AC 100-240V.

Now we make a activity for this item.

Deadline: From 11/3/2015 to 11/30/2015

claim code:YGNE867E

Discount: 10%

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm an electrcian, not one that knows all, but a pretty good one at what I do. Most items in the U.S. Will say on the spec sheet a certain hz preference, but motors will run slower. Some ever show that they accept both speeds, while others don't show it they usually will. With it running at 50 hz it won't run as efficient, so you'll be using a bit more power to get the same outcome, and it could put a slight strain on the motor over the long haul. Now I don't have an idea of the frame of it breaking down, but I'm assuming it would still be a long long time. I'd say take it and rock on making some good beer over in Italy.

Many thanks! I was thinking the same thing (only $130 and a little labor if it ****s the bed). I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something that everyone (except me) knew was a bad idea. If it dies, I'll make a better one.

Much appreciated.

I got back from Italy a little over a week ago. It's a good thing you'll be making your own beer. However, the wine is good!

Cheers!

Hi, we have EU STANDARD ITC-308 temperature controller now. I think it can fit for you.

http://www.amazon.it/dp/B016EYB03G/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It is wide voltage AC 100-240V.

Now we make a activity for this item.

Deadline: From 11/3/2015 to 11/30/2015

claim code:YGNE867E

Discount: 10%

Ok...if my fridge needs a stepdown transformer, do you recommend using your temperature controller 'before' the transformer:

KEEZER --> TRANSFORMER --> INKBIRD --> POWER OUTLET

OR should I use your 110v temp control and do:

KEEZER --> INKBIRD --> TRANSFORMER --> POWER OUTLET

does it matter? I think that if I use the first configuration, then the transformer (which typically pulls power 24/7) would only come on when the temp controller activated it.

Which of your products should I buy? 220 for the first configuration or 110 for the second?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Back