Keezer Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davcar74

Reaction score
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1417098343.358179.jpg

Been planning for a year or so and finally found a weekend during which to get this done. My requirements were:
4 kegs/taps for serving
Integrating my beer gun in an easy to use way so filling for contests doesn't seem so onerous
Room for a fermenter (with all four kegs) for fermenting, conditioning and lagers
Related to the above, I needed to get two kegs on the hump and wanted to be able to open above and below the collar to make it easier to get the fermenter in and out (rather than having to lift above the 2x8 collar required to get two kegs on the hump)
Additional CO2 line for carbonating an extra keg (Pipeline!)

I started with a chest freezer I bought a few years back for fermentation and conditioning. Model info here
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1417098714.348557.jpg

Tip 1 - don't use bleach to clean the inside of your chest freezer...it caused all the rust spots you see inside mine in these pics

I built a collar out of 2 x 8. I mitered the corners using a circular saw - my cheap, small compound miter saw could not handle the 2x8s. The angles actually came out fine for these purposes. I drilled the shank holes and most holes for the tubing that was going to run in (main CO2 line) or out (beer gun lines) I secured the sides to the front with 3 drywall screws (to match the flat black finish I was going to use) from the side at each joint. For Good measure, I added 8 galvanized angle braces - two in each corner. I put two concentric rows of weather stripping on the bottom of the collar. I put two three coats of spray Var Poly on the inside first and then several coats of spray chalkboard paint on the outside to match my black freezer and so I could note what what inside and when. I ordered an additional set of hinges from Sears for my freezer model.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1417099070.654576.jpg

Once that was all done, I placed the lid on top and secured with the extra set of hinges. I used my original hinges and secured the lid to the top of the collar. The weight of the entire collar and lid opening was a bit too much to stay open with the springs in the hinges, but I Macguyvered that later with some paracord tied to the supports from my basement stairs with a carbiner and an eyehook on the outside of the collar. At least with these hinges I knew my hinge holes would line up.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1417101191.098802.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1417101236.142881.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1417101259.529211.jpg

I ordered a drip tray from Amazon. I ordered it with a drain in case i want to use it that way for a future application, but will plug it with a rubber stopper I found online for these purposes.

I put the CO2 bottle outside to save space on the inside, but also so my regulator, temp controller and brewing computer area were all aligned so I could do everything from one seat (mission control!)....as well as the taps.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1417101489.120743.jpg

Definitely got some inspiration from some others on here, so thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I was originally going to just get a flat one and mount it to the freezer with 90 degree welding magnets (someone in here gave me that idea) but when I went with 2x8 vs 2x6 I decided to go this route as I thought the collar would be beefy enough to support it when opened and the tray would not hang up on the freezer when opening or closing. Works well. And it gave me a pre-made template for my tap handles

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back