Kate Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtpro

Reaction score
Anybody had Kate the Great by Portsmouth Brewery in Portsmouth, NH? The midwest has Dark Lord day, so I was pleased to find out that we have our own little special release day over here, its tomorrow and I guess people come from as far as Florida for this RIS. Its got an A+ on beer advocate, which is nearly unheard of, unfortunately I'm just too booked tomorrow to make it, but wowee what a neat thing.

gtpro, I see you're in Orono. Going to school at UMO? I graduated from there in 2004, live in Wilton now. Glad to see another Mainer on the board! Sadly, I am too busy to make it down to Portsmouth as well, I'd love to try that out.

I really love, and have been searching for, a clone of their Black Cat Stout.

I do go to UMO, good to see some representation. I'm from NH but I spend most of my time up in Orono and do all my brewing there.

I actually had my first pint from Portsmouth brewery the other night, but it was like my 10th beer of the night so I couldnt even tell you what it was. I think I'm gonna try to get out there tomorrow or wednesday to see if they have any left.

To see if they have any Kate left? Good luck with that. There's a reason people were talking about getting there at 4am. Even with a 2 bottle per person limit, it'll be gone fast.

they have it on draft as well, I think they have about 130 something gallons of it, not sure how much goes into bottles and how much into kegs though, have you had it?

Nope, never had it.

From the sound of it, the kegs went dry ~5:30 PM.

As for bottles, if you weren't in line by ~5:15 AM, you were SOL. Apparently there were already quite a few people in line at 2 AM.

I got my 2 bottles and one glass at the pub before the ride home. The first 2 people were in like at 12:45AM while the pub was still open. We got in line at about 4:15AM and only have about a 20-30 minute wait to get our pages/tickets. All in all a fun time. Not sure I will do it again. Portsmouth has some really nice beers. The Imperial Porter was a real nice beer and I had to grab a growler of that to take home.

Back