REnew member

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gytaryst

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I decided to try my hand at home brewing in 2014. I bought a few pieces of equipment on craigslist or Offer Up, a Brewer's Best extract kit, and I was hooked, (i.e. obsessed). I was/am retired. I spent most of my adult life as a weekend warrior rock star playing guitar in bands. That was my passion and my hobby, (and my obsession). In 2014 I was 54 and the whole band thing had long since lost it's appeal, so I gave it up. I replaced that hobby/obsession with home brewing, and jumped in with both feet. For the next 5 years this hobby consumed me. I bought every book I could find, watched every Youtube video, and visited every brewery in Arizona and southern California. By 2019 my garage was pretty much a nanobrewery. My typical "brew day" started on Friday night adjusting water chemistry and ended Sunday morning when I pitched my yeast. At 59, it was labor intensive and extremely hard on my body. I always had several 5 gallon corny kegs full of beer, (a couple in the keezer and a few on deck). I also usually had a case of bottled beer in the pantry, and a handful of corked & caged 750ml big Belgians aging somewhere. I spent hours a day, every day, on this website, and learned SO much.

Unfortunately, it was just my wife and our adopted granddaughter living here, and they don't drink. I also didn't do a lot of socializing since getting away from the music scene. Long story short, I was the only one enjoying all of the fruits of my labor. As much as I loved the hobby and as obsessed as I had been for the past 5 years, I seemed to simply lose interest in it over night. After about 6 months of not doing anything even remotely associated with brewing, I decided to sell off all of my gear and clean the garage out. I sold literally everything.

That was 3 years ago. Yesterday was Christmas and my 9-year-old daughter got me a Starter Home Brew kit. (a couple plastic buckets, hydrometer, bottle filler, a capper, Star-San, a few small nylon bags, etc). I asked for it.
I decided I really do miss it. It was/is the most rewarding, fascinating thing I've ever done. My goal is to learn from my past mistakes, and to not get caught up in that bigger is better, more, more, more mentality this time. I'm going to keep it to small 2 to 2.5 gallon batches, (or smaller). I realize there are some limitations to small batch, and some advantages to brewing in larger quantities. Be that as it may, my new involvement will be focused on brewing the (hopefully) world class level beer 2 gallons at a time. I'm now 62 so I'm not looking to turn this into a career or to open up a brewery.

I haven't been on this site in awhile so it's take me a minute to refamiliarize myself. I'm hoping to hook up with other small batch brewers and learn. My immediate project is ambitious: I'm going to purchase a 5L new oak barrel, fill it with white dog whiskey, and age my own bourbon. I don't drink bourbon, so I'll be giving it away. I just want the barrel to age a big Russian Imperial stout that I plan to brew. I know there are a million aspects involved in this project, and all kinds of things that can go wrong along the way. It's probably not the best choice as far as getting my feet wet again is concerned - but for better or worse, tat's where I'm headed.

Good to be back

Marc

Welcome back and good luck! There a bunch of brewers here brewing small batches!

I unfortunately am not one of them! Having three kids I knew my 8-10 brew days a year were numbered so I went bigger and do split baches so I'm down to 4 a year.

Sounds like you've got a plan and wish you luck in this new endeavor!

:mug:

Welcome back and good luck. I'm also looking at moving towards smaller batches. At 68, lugging a fermenter and five gallons of beer is becoming a chore. Let us know how the smaller batches work for you. Cheers!

Enjoyed reading you story, sometimes taking a break from the hobby really helps with one’s perspective. I took 6 months off years ago and it really helped me sort through some problems I was having with my beers, and I came back into the hobby with the attitude that more is not always better.

What kind of guitars do you like? I have a 2002 Songwriter Deluxe and a 2017 SG Standard ebony, and they are pretty much all I play.

What kind of guitars do you like? I have a 2002 Songwriter Deluxe and a 2017 SG Standard ebony, and they are pretty much all I plplay.I
Les Paul Standard was my guitar of choice, but I owned everything at one time or another. Started playing when I was 6, (1966). Played every day my whole life. Started playing in rock bands in high school and I was hooked. Played in bands my entire adult life. In 2014 I quit the band I was in to take a little break. Packed all my gear away; guitars, amps, mics, a PA, sound boards, keyboards, a drum set... A month turned into two, then six, then a year. Sold off all my gear in 2015 and haven't really had any desire to play since. Spent the money from my musical equipment on brew gear.

Welcome back and good luck. I'm also looking at moving towards smaller batches. At 68, lugging a fermenter and five gallons of beer is becoming a chore. Let us know how the smaller batches work for you. Cheers!
I'm still trying to figure out how to do everything I did before on a smaller scale, (without breaking the bank this time). I bought a portable induction burner and a sous vide system to experiment with controlled mash temps. Controlled fermentation on a small scale poses a lot of issues. I want precise control over temps, the ability to age, transfer with minimal oxidation, and to force carb. All of the equipment on the market seems to be geared toward 5 gallon or bigger batches. I plan on brewing mostly high gravity brews and I'd like to be able to blend without everything tasting like wet cardboard.

I'm going to buy a 5L oak barrel and age some white dog bourbon so I can then do a BA Imperial stout. In my mind, I want to brew maybe 2 or 3 one gallon imperial stouts, and then come up with a blend to go into the barrel. Figuring out how to do it on a small scale without oxidizing the crap out of everything is keeping up nights.

Sounds like you've got the mash temp solved.
I'm no help with barrel aging or force carbonation. Never done either.
As far as ferm temp control, I'd look on Craig's list or FB Marketplace for a used dorm fridge or deep freeze and run them with an Inkbird controller ($35 on Amazon). You could also try a swamp cooler, short term. MTCW.

Sounds like you've got the mash temp solved.
I'm no help with barrel aging or force carbonation. Never done either.
As far as ferm temp control, I'd look on Craig's list or FB Marketplace for a used dorm fridge or deep freeze and run them with an Inkbird controller ($35 on Amazon). You could also try a swamp cooler, short term. MTCW.
Yeah. I have the inkbird in my garage and I'll probably buy a small chest freezer. Those dorm fridges aren't very efficient. Warm air rises, so everytime you open the door all the cold air pours out the bottom. I used a chest freezer last time.

Really my biggest challenge is oxidization. When I brewed before I did all my transfers from primary, to secondary, to keg under CO2 pressure so after I pitched the yeast my beers never touched oxygen until I poured them in a glass.

I never barrel aged either, but my favorite beers right now are big, bourbon barrel aged imperial stouts - so building one of those is pretty much my motivation for getting back into it.

Back