Kamado Style Smoker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baron

Reaction score
I bought an Akorn Kamado Smoker this year and just absolutely love it.

Always wanted a BGE (Big Green Egg) but it was a little (or a lot) out of my price range ~ $1,000.

Got the Akorn at Kroger for around $150 (normally $299) -- it was a great deal. It does an awesome job.

Just for the heck of it -- The other day I made some Jalapeno Poppers (cream cheese /and wrapped in bacon) -- smoked them at 225 for about 1-1/2 - 2 hours -- delicious.

Anyone else have one of these style of smoker/grills?
And if so -- how do you like it?

Rick

I've got a Vision kamado and I love it. Mostly do my low and slow on it. Ribs, smoked turkey. Makes awesome pizza. I still have a natural gas grill for fast cook ups, but I prefer the kamado. And I have made the poppers on mine, as well. I have never come close to making enough of them. :D

baron, you got an outstanding price! Bought ours at Lowes 3 years ago for 299 or 349 can't remember

Suggest get yourself the smoker stone if yours didn't come with it

If we ever sell our house, the Akorn will be going with us.

oh addition to above... IF your Akorn leaks smoke when lid is down (between the 2 halves), you can replace the seal between top and bottom with GreenEgg felt

I really wanted a Kamado Joe but ended up waiting. Now I'm spending all my money on beer stuff so it won't be happening anytime soon.

Maybe I'll check out the Akorn as it sounds like you're happy with it??

Yea -- I couldn't believe it.
It was July 4th weekend -- and they had it on sale. Had to get it.

Two of my favorite things -- Brewing/Drinking Beer and Grilling.
They seem to go hand in hand.

No leaks -- but will definitely keep that in mind on the BGE felt -- thanks.

The Vision Kamado is a great one too!

Back