Smoked Chili

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMSetzler

Reaction score
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Noxp3liUaLQ[/ame]

Aside from homebrewing and working as an X-ray tech, I produce cooking videos for Kamado Joe Grills out of Atlanta. This is my most recent video and here's the recipe:

Kamado Joe Smoked Chili Recipe

Ingredients:

2 to 2 1/2 pounds cubed chuck roast or beef brisket
Your favorite beef seasoning
2 yellow onions, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
6 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tbsp cooking oil
1 tbsp ground cumin
1/4 cup chili powder
1/4 cup whiskey (or beer)
1 28oz can diced tomatoes
1 28oz can tomato sauce
2 15oz cans dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
salt to taste

Directions:

Preheat your grill to 225-ish and add several chunks of your favorite smoking wood.

Cut your chuck roast or beef brisket into cubes (whatever size suits you best. Place them in a shallow pan and season them liberally with your favorite beef bbq seasoning rub. Place the pan on the grill and let the meat smoke for 60 to 90 minutes.

In a dutch oven, add the cooking oil, onions, red bell pepper and saute for 6 to 7 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin, and chili powder and saute for another minute or two. Add the whiskey or beer and sautee for another minute.

Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, kidney beans and the smoked meat to the dutch oven and mix well. Return the dutch oven to the grill, uncovered. Raise the grill temperature to 275-300 degrees and cook uncovered for 60-90 minutes, stirring every 20-30 minutes. Add salt to taste during this stage of the cook.

Put the lid on the dutch oven and simmer for another 60-90 minutes.

Remove from the grill and let cool for 10-15 minutes. Serve and garnish with shredded cheddar cheese and chopped green onions!

Enjoy!

Looks pretty good, like home style. I save the meat juices & fat in a cup or the like in the fridge. The fat hardens on top. The juices get like jelly & have a lot of flavor. The fat keeps it sealed till used in soup or whatever.

I've even tossed pot roasts or pork butts in the pit to smoke them tender & used that in chili. With roasted peppers on the grill as well.:rockin: I'd say a hoppy beer to go with.

Back