Newb to Side Box Smoker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natdavis777

Reaction score
To preface, I have a vertical gas smoker that I have dialed in to the T. Temp and smoke control is taken care of. This spring, we were in need of a new grill, and being a the same price as the other half gas half charcoal grills, I picked up and Oklahoma Joe's with a side smoke box. I have plenty of hickory from my 13 acres down south curing, my question is heat/fuel regulation.

Ive watched some videos and want to make sure I am doing it right before messing up a good cut of pork. I basically want to get some charcoal heated up and coal white, then get some wood burning, once the wood is nice and hot, drop the air and get to my desired smoking temp. Then to maintain the smoke/head, gradually add my wood (no more charcoal) and adjust with dampners to control the heat. Sound on par?

I trialed some ribs awhile back with the 3-2-1 method, and just did the smoking on the grill, did the 2 hr wrap in the oven (to conserve wood), then the 1 hour baste back on the grill with smoke. Turned out well, just had to keep adding charcoal to maintain 225F. Hence my question on maintaining heat with fuel.

Any help/ advice is welcomed.

Your process as described is sound. It sounds like I basically have the same smoker and I do essentially what you described. There are a few mods you can make that should help:
1. install a convection plate in the smoke side. I was able to order one specially made to fit this smoker and I love it.
2. Extend the smokestack to the food grate level or below to improve airflow and circulation.
3. Mix in some oak. Any time I use hickory only I'll have more trouble with temperature control. My family also seems to like the flavor a bit better.

You may have already done these things and more. I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination but I love to grill and smoke and have used this model a lot. I hope some is this is helpful. Good luck!

On my offset I like to regulate the heat by the amount of fuel(wood) I add. I first tried using the damper, and to maintain temps the wood would just smolder, creating dirty smoke, that made for a nasty tasting pork butt. Adding only enough wood to keep the proper temps requires more babysitting of the smoker, but the results are great.

Thanks for the replies. I can get a hold of some other types of wood. My favorite is applewood. I think I will trial a boston butt here next time I smoke and see how it goes. Trail and error is the only way to learn. I just want to cut down on the amount of errors.

Appreciate the help.

If you're really into getting it down to a science, you can measure and plan for most variables.

I did four runs and took half hour temp readings in 4 parts of the smoker, along with exact measurements of wood. Tried to do each session at different temp extremes.

Two runs with a brisket, each the same size, and then two with a pork shoulder.

Four individual smoking sessions don't provide a ton of data points, but you can use that with less frequent readings on future sessions. Keep a spreadsheet/journal like a lot of people do for their brews and you can eliminate a lot of variables.

(But not every variable....a wise Memphis in May winner once told me science can only take you so far, but you need to use your senses to really put you over the top. No amount of notes can reflect the jiggle of the pork on a whole hog when it is done.)

When feeding an offset I always place the new sticks on top of the firebox 5-10 minutes before adding them to the fire. It preheats the sticks and dries them so that they combust almost immediately when added to the fire. This eliminates smoldering and temp swings.

Obviously, this won't work if the top of the firebox is insulated.

I will do some baby back ribs this weekend again. Have some friends coming in town and crashing before we head to the race Sunday, so Im going to do some panko crusted cod with a beurre blanc for the ladies, and some ribs for us guys. Using the 3-2-1 again. I will try the new method of a lot of coals up front, followed only by wood after for fuel and see how it fares with 1) smoke, 2) temperature control 3) longevity

Hell I will even snap some pics.

Back