Roast 'em, Toast 'em, Smoke 'em If you Got 'em

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Schlenkerla what's your experience with mesquite smoked malt? I tried a few at the brew store today, and was impressed. How does it translate into beer? I might pick up some chips and give it a try
I have five pounds of it smoked. I plan to make Weizen Rauchbier like the Schlenkerla Marzen only with have half wheat. I haven't used any yet, however from what I read it's said the Phenolics go with a Weizen style beer.

Currently mashing my next rauch, long story short life happened, the brewmonk did not so going with the old BIAB setup as before. This time got 6kg beech smoked viking malt and 150g DRC for flavor, mashing real high like 70-72c for maximum body. LHBS didn't have mt.hood so got Chinook curretly trying to decide how much to use, reckon 15-20g should do the trick @60min

Hey Schlenk you still got that "baseline" recipe stored away smoewhere, the one with the mt.hood hop @60min? Cus I don`t remember if it had any black malt or not but this thing I`m boilin right now I`m tellin you ain`t black.

Hey Schlenk you still got that "baseline" recipe stored away smoewhere, the one with the mt.hood hop @60min? Cus I don`t remember if it had any black malt or not but this thing I`m boilin right now I`m tellin you ain`t black.
Yeah, it was 10lbs base malt and 8oz black malt.

Typically the base of malt of half pale malt and half Munich.

I usually try hopping anywhere from 15-45 IBUs. Lower end for wheat. Higher for Marzen Style Rauchbier. Using German, Czech or Polish Hops and there substitutes.

As for black malt usage, it can range from 2, 4, 6 and 8 oz.

This should be interesting then, a total smoke bomb yet fairly light in color :D No matter though as I like to explore and TBH my best beers have always been the ones that`s been either totally ad hoc or modified on the fly because some ingredient ran out. If this for some reason is no good (it`s homebrew so that`s virtually impossible right?) at least I know what and where went askew.

This should be interesting then, a total smoke bomb yet fairly light in color :D No matter though as I like to explore and TBH my best beers have always been the ones that`s been either totally ad hoc or modified on the fly because some ingredient ran out. If this for some reason is no good (it`s homebrew so that`s virtually impossible right?) at least I know what and where went askew.
Gräzter or Grodziske is a all wheat pale ale that's 100% oak smoked. It'll be good.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grodziskie

As I punch this out, I'm forgetting what's in your grain bill...

Just finished the mash on my Mesquite Weizen Rauchbier.

Long mash;
140@45 min
152@50 min
158@30 min
168@10 min

Great mash efficiency though. Can't believe it... Brewhouse Efficiency is 70%

Screenshot_20190924-235753.jpeg

Last edited:
The K-97 is going Gonzo when I got home today!

Prolly 5-6 burps per second constantly.

It was like 1-burp/sec about 5 hours after pitching.

The Mesquite Smoked Rauchbier....

Pretty tasty!!!

5lbs of Home smoked rauchmalt
5lbs of Wheat malt
4oz of Carafa 3
2oz of Acidulated malt. For pH corrections
1oz of Northern Brewer at 60
Pitched Fermentus K-97

Edit: [ wrong hop...]

IMG_20191010_171709.jpeg

Last edited:
New pics... Same thing as above.

"Mesquite Weizen Rauchbier!"

FWIW - This is my first time using Mesquite for a smoke source. The phenolics of Mesquite smoke supposedly go well with a wheat beer. This is really highly drinkable. I used K97, it has a really smooth mouth feel with the smoke character of Mesquite.
IMG_20191013_235725.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_20191013_235743.jpeg
    IMG_20191013_235743.jpeg
    50.8 KB · Views: 78
I started reading this thread today, about halfway through I went out an bought a couple bottles of Schlenkerla Urbock .. for research purposes :bigmug:

I like the DIY screen basket, I will be attempting a copy of that.

I would also love to hear more about the peanut and pistachio shell smoke... never gave that a thought!

I will be smoking some 2-row and a batch of M.O. with mixed maple and pecan, since I have some time to condition the grains I will be planning what those two brews shall be. Thinking a Brown ale and American Amber, smoked malt most likely in the 10-20% range for my 1st attempt. (comments & advice are welcome)

I have been smoking solid food for about 20 years but I have only been brewing for less than 2 years. Full of inspiration, I will be back with updates.

Can't believe I put off smoking malt for this long. I love love smokebeer, and I love smoking all sorts of foods.
  • Constructed a sort of basket out of aluminum screening and stucco lathe
  • Smoked 10# munich malt in my Traeger, but didn't power up the smoker. Just kept a smoke tube going all day with pellets. Sprayed the malt with water every hour or two
  • Made a smoked marzen
  • Nom nom!

1700002311550.png

1700002277219.png

1700002528226.png

That's nuts. I've done a couple batches of only 1-2 pounds on my Traeger - same wire basket & smoke tube method as you - but only for 2 hours max. Even with just 2 hours I get a very pronounced smoke profile imparted. My latest attempted use was a test batch (1 gallon) of a smoked sticke altbier - brewed it with 10% smoked barke pilsner malt the last week of October, and is pretty smoking for what I was after. I'll probably dial it back to 5% for the full-scale batch run next.

That's nuts. I've done a couple batches of only 1-2 pounds on my Traeger - same wire basket & smoke tube method as you - but only for 2 hours max. Even with just 2 hours I get a very pronounced smoke profile imparted. My latest attempted use was a test batch (1 gallon) of a smoked sticke altbier - brewed it with 10% smoked barke pilsner malt the last week of October, and is pretty smoking for what I was after. I'll probably dial it back to 5% for the full-scale batch run next.
Brewing a smoked altbier next week, but with Weyermann beech smoked malt. Just seems like a great base for a smoked beer.

That's nuts haha. I could def do 100% smoke malt. I guess it's what you're looking for.
It's like hops an IPAs. At one point I could not add enough hops to dry hop. So for Rauchbier beer there's never too much smoke unless it's the wrong smoke. Like peat.... Burn circuit board smell and taste. Also too heavy on pellet smoke can make it harsh and tar-like. That is fixable with letting it condition with airing out to age. Nothing fixes peat malt smoke IMHO. Only good for scotch distilling.

Last edited:
Hi Schlenkerla,

On the spreadsheet Malting in the column moisture, what's the signification of the abreviation "TBD"

Thank in advance.

Back