Roast 'em, Toast 'em, Smoke 'em If you Got 'em

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thing is, it`s gonna be a small group of our workmates and AFAIK only one of them is a true craft beer enthusiast, the curveball is there will also be AVECs etc that I have never met so it`s gonna be a motley cue of people and I don`t even know how many I will be serving to, so gonna be pretty ad hoc, but surely I will report back regardless of the reception!

Other beers to be tasted will also be big, like my 95 IIPA and a 8,6% munich-ale. I figured I`d pour the rauch first but instruct them to hold back and let it warm to catch the full range as I will be driving there with my van with the beers in the back so they`ll all be cold when I get there.

Is it the smoked beer book that is linked at the beginning of this thread that recommends adjusting mash ph above 5.6 to limit mash conversion, thereby reducing fermentable sugars?
I think so, I don't have it with me to check it. I'm in Chicago now, I have it at my work residence. I'll check it on Monday. Highly kilned malts do lower the pH. That's pretty logical. I don't recall reading that. My guess is you are correct.

Yes. Smoked Beers is the book to reference.

I am not a"Beer Troll" I was asked to share. I will be roasting base malt two row In a drum on the grill. The drum in pic is my coffee bean 3/16. yes I will have to get a drum with 1/16 holes.Okay let the roasting begin.."Stay strong and Brew on' IMG_20181124_162944.jpg

I am not a"Beer Troll" I was asked to share. I will be roasting base malt two row In a drum on the grill. The drum in pic is my coffee bean 3/16. yes I will have to get a drum with 1/16 holes.Okay let the roasting begin.."Stay strong and Brew on'View attachment 599355
I know you're not. I asked you to post here because I think what you have to share is relevant to the subject of thread. I'm personally interested. I'm also the original poster of this thread. If you have a thread already started, tell me what it is, no need to duplicate. Although you're very welcome to post here.

Anyhow, I use an oven with special baking pans, and a popcorn popper to roast grain. I have a rotisserie oven that might be suited to do that too.

My first post has a link to another post, in this thread, that has all the times and temperatures for making specialty grains.

Cheers. [emoji482]

I know you're not. I asked you to post here because I think what you have to share is relevant to the subject of thread. I'm personally interested. I'm also the original poster of this thread. If you have a thread already started, tell me what it is, no need to duplicate. Although you're very welcome to post here.

Anyhow, I use an oven with special baking pans, and a popcorn popper to roast grain. I have a rotisserie oven that might be suited to do that too.

My first post has a link to another post, in this thread, that has all the times and temperatures for making specialty grains.

Cheers. [emoji482]
I am not a " Beer Troll". I will take a look at your post. I have tried smoking grains on a smoker..it didn't work out. I am not roasting in the house."Stay strong and Brew on"

It wouldn't bother me if you were. :D

You're good! [emoji481] [emoji481] [emoji481] [emoji481]
I skipped thru the post. I lived in West Germany for two i mostly drank bitburg.I lived in texas and really got into smoking meat. I have land that has friut tree's.. I will try smoking with peach wood and yeah I will be roasted here also. I am just trying to figure out the roasting diy path..

I skipped thru the post. I lived in West Germany for two i mostly drank bitburg.I lived in texas and really got into smoking meat. I have land that has friut tree's.. I will try smoking with peach wood and yeah I will be roasted here also. I am just trying to figure out the roasting diy path..

I have three books in roasting grains and like to experiment. I'm more that willing to share resource info, my experiences, and to hear yours.

My latest endeavour is making crystal malt in my instant pot.

I think so, I don't have it with me to check it. I'm in Chicago now, I have it at my work residence. I'll check it on Monday. Highly kilned malts do lower the pH. That's pretty logical. I don't recall reading that. My guess is you are correct.
After thinking a little more, it may have been the previous issue of BYO, the issue with the grodziskie article....

I think you can make any style rauchbier with any style of wood type, so if you can't find the right wood you can sub it like you would with hops in a beer find a suitable match and use that in your grain.... Your Gratzer/Grodziskie uses a oak. Its a very mild wood. Beech would work very well as a sub, so would maple.

Whats your grain bill going to be with the Grodziskie? Half pils half wheat? If so, that kind of meets my recommendation of 1/2 rauch malt. Gratzer/Grodziskie is made from 100% wheat, I cheated and did the half pils and half wheat, but I smoked it both grains together with oak wood chips.

The moment i submitted that original post, I knew you would be on me about the makeup of the grain bill. To get ahead of you, I went the same route as yourself: half pils, half white wheat, 3 pounds of each. Smoked with beech pellets.

thumbnail.jpg

I didn't seem to have the same struggle you did with billowing smoke from pellets.....

Last edited:
Here is the malt after smoking. Notice the coloration. I'm not certain if that is strictly from the smoke, or if some browning of the malt occurred from heat. I smoked around 180F, so I shouldn't expect too much browning, but perhaps it's possible.

thumbnail (2).jpg thumbnail (1).jpg

To save my kitchen, I purchased a food dehydrator and ran the malt dry in the garage. I'm surprised with how effectively it worked. Dries 4 pounds at a time, and can do it in several hours.

Bonus points for the 1.5% coffee stout in the background of the photo.

Here is the malt after smoking. Notice the coloration. I'm not certain if that is strictly from the smoke, or if some browning of the malt occurred from heat. I smoked around 180F, so I shouldn't expect too much browning, but perhaps it's possible.

View attachment 599606 View attachment 599607

To save my kitchen, I purchased a food dehydrator and ran the malt dry in the garage. I'm surprised with how effectively it worked. Dries 4 pounds at a time, and can do it in several hours.

Bonus points for the 1.5% coffee stout in the background of the photo.
Very nice! Yeah there will be some browning at 180F. You have lightly toasted grain. That's not a bad thing at all. It's going to add some really nice malt flavor with the smoke.

Regarding the billowing smoke, if yours was light that might be a good sign that it won't be super smokey. However having a very good and predominant smoke taste. That's why I recommend starting off at 50%, mainly to learn the amount of smoke the grain picked up in your process and not have an undrinkable smoke bomb. My wood chip smoker I can do 100% rauch in a beer and it's going to be very very smoky. If I cold smoke it with pellets and 50% rauch it's going to be super smokey. More so than the wood at 100% rauch. If used 100% rauch from my cold smoke pellet process, I think it would be way too much smoke. Every persons smoke method can be a little different.

In my cold smoke pellet method I could draw down the amount of smoke by using say about 1/2 or 1/4 of the pellets I normally use at a time.

BTW - I have a charbroil that uses wood and can be used as pellet cold smoker. I also have a Traeger that is pellet only, temp range is 160F - 550F.. I have not used the Traeger on grain yet. Planning to make a brown malt on it very soon. It's a long hot smoke at 300F.

I want to get a dehydrator. Did your need to use a screen on yours to stop the grain from falling through? I'm curious about the mesh size of the dehydrator trays.

Last edited:
I want to get a dehydrator. Did your need to use a screen on yours to stop the grain from falling through? I'm curious about the mesh size of the dehydrator trays.
The mesh on my dehydrator is much too large to hold grain, all I did was cut a single ply of stainless steel screen to fit onto the dehydrator trays. Worked surprisingly well.

@LayerUp,

On your stout did you forget a number or are drinking a non alcoholic stout....LOL

I think I could drink that for breakfast.

Calling it stout may be a bit generous. I brew a 3% dry Irish stout, mix it 50/50 with cold brew coffee, and serve it on nitro. It is pretty fantastic, if I do say so myself.

I tend to brew low abv beer most of the time, as I don't think anyone, myself included, really needs the alcohol.

That all goes out the window during Apple season, though....

Calling it stout may be a bit generous. I brew a 3% dry Irish stout, mix it 50/50 with cold brew coffee, and serve it on nitro. It is pretty fantastic, if I do say so myself.

I tend to brew low abv beer most of the time, as I don't think anyone, myself included, really needs the alcohol.

That all goes out the window during Apple season, though....

Interesting, tend to brew lower ABV beers too. Mainly because I want to drink 3-4 in a night and not be sloshed.

A joke about needing alcohol...

"Alcoholics need a drink, I don't I have I already have one!"

You're a cider maker?

You're a cider maker?

Aye. This year I lived in a new state,so I had a harder time of it. Only pressed about 30 gallons. But in years past I've picked and pressed upwards of 150 gallons of juice.

Picking fruit is really my favorite yearly activity.

Do you do anything with fruit?

Aye. This year I lived in a new state,so I had a harder time of it. Only pressed about 30 gallons. But in years past I've picked and pressed upwards of 150 gallons of juice.

Picking fruit is really my favorite yearly activity.

Do you do anything with fruit?
I used to make cider in the fall for nearly 10 years. I stopped mainly because I believed it gave me terrible hangovers. I still love it in small portions. I have to try drinking/making it again without adding extra sugars or just drink less in a sitting.

That said, I'm really a beer person.

I make crazy banana beers and cranberry wheat beers. I also have a canned quart of cranberry-date invert that would be good in an old ale or a cider. I simmered dried dates and cranberries to use as a late addition (secondary) in a mince meat ale.

Have you ever used crystal malt in cider? Was recently thinking of a lb 40L steeped in a quart of water then add it 4.75 gallons of cider. I'd add a can of concentrate to make up for the water. The thought was to make a caramel apple cider.

Ah...I think a mince meat cider could work too...

Dude this is getting ridiculous... Every bottle I taste is different from the last one, and every bottle is better than the last one... I`m getting tar flavors now that totally weren`t there a few days ago! I totally GOTTA brew this again soon as the last case I got will most likely be gone at the party next weekend. This is hands down the most delicious batch of HB I`ve made so far.

Dude this is getting ridiculous... Every bottle I taste is different from the last one, and every bottle is better than the last one... I`m getting tar flavors now that totally weren`t there a few days ago! I totally GOTTA brew this again soon as the last case I got will most likely be gone at the party next weekend. This is hands down the most delicious batch of HB I`ve made so far.
That's great! Are you using different glasses? Large mouth glasses are great as are pints. I really like snifters.

How much rauch malt do you have on hand?

Have you ever used crystal malt in cider? Was recently thinking of a lb 40L steeped in a quart of water then add it 4.75 gallons of cider. I'd add a can of concentrate to make up for the water. The thought was to make a caramel apple cider.

Probably asking the wrong person, as I really prefer the fruit completely unadulterated. My preference is to mix the apples for different cider styles, single varietal gravenstein, or mix of wild varieties. I will occasionally add pear or blackberry. I'm currently drinking a mix of two ciders I have on tap, blackberry and pear. Will have to post a photo sometime this week.

I've never understood the interest the homebrew community has with making high abv ciders, everything I've ever pressed turns into 6% abv, I always figure that's more than enough. Anymore than that and I feel you really lose some of the nuance of the apple variety that is being used, but I guess who am I to judge....

If you are set on adding malt to your cider, why not simply warm up a percentage of your must and use that to steep? I imagine a true caramel apple cider would be hard to do through fermentation alone, as I feel body would play a large role, maybe add some caramelized syrup when pouring the glass?

McWopper....

My Irish Red made with smoked pistachio shells. It's reddish brown. It's still a red...kinda. LOL

I don't recall you posting too much about the performance of the pistachio shells, how did they turn out? Did you have any left over to use to smoke meat? Really curious how pistachio smoke plays into the bigger picture of smoked foods....

@Schlenkerla you may have said it earlier in this thread, and I have forgotten, but what is your usual turn around time for rauchbier, from grain to glass? Just trying to get a feel for how long I may have to wait to give mine a try.

I don't normally carry german hops in my freezer, as I don't ferment particularly many lagers. You think english hops would be a reasonable substitute, either fuggles or uk goldings?

@Schlenkerla you may have said it earlier in this thread, and I have forgotten, but what is your usual turn around time for rauchbier, from grain to glass? Just trying to get a feel for how long I may have to wait to give mine a try.

I don't normally carry german hops in my freezer, as I don't ferment particularly many lagers. You think english hops would be a reasonable substitute, either fuggles or uk goldings?
It's usually about 6 weeks. Two weeks airing out, 3 weeks fermentation, then a week kegged on gas.

Yeah you can use English hops. I would try to use the ones preferred for bittering. Late addition hops can be used too but they compete with the smoke for flavor and aroma. I typically only bitter hop at 60 minutes.
I don't recall you posting too much about the performance of the pistachio shells, how did they turn out? Did you have any left over to use to smoke meat? Really curious how pistachio smoke plays into the bigger picture of smoked foods....
I haven't used them on food, I have a lot left out of a 3 lb bag of pistachios. They will be good on chicken and cheeses. The smoke smell is very mild.

Website below says beef & pork and excludes fish.

That's great! Are you using different glasses? Large mouth glasses are great as are pints. I really like snifters.

How much rauch malt do you have on hand?
I`ve been mostly using a glass i recently bought that I guess can be called a snifter but just for the hack of it poured the latest one into a cervoise and bloody hell it is noticeably sweeter!

I have zero rauchmalt at hand, I have a 25kg bag of basemalt (viking malt pale ale) and I order the other malts from my trusted online HBS as needed.

McWopper....

My Irish Red made with smoked pistachio shells. It's reddish brown. It's still a red...kinda. LOL

View attachment 599814
I realized that I didn't post tasting notes on this....

It's tastes like a traditional Irish Red with a tinge of smoke. The nose is smokey after the first pour. The first taste is smokey, but very mild. You can tell it's smokey, it's not distinct like if one used hickory, oak, maple or mesquite. To me it's smokey with a very subtle nutty taste. The smoke supposedly leaves a nutty taste. I think it's there, not overly so.

After a repour with a sip of the thick head, I smell the hops... Hallertauer. The smoke and bitterness balance out with carbonation. I'd say the smoke is slightly more dominant. However it's not off putting.

Screen shotted below... The 2nd just shows the yeast.

This the recipe. PM if you want the xml export of this recipe.
Screenshot_2018-12-03-23-33-57.jpeg
Screenshot_2018-12-03-23-34-00.jpeg

Last edited:
Kegged my Alt last night. I used 5 lbs of barley smoked with peanut shells. The flat beer seems lightly smoked. Its smoke character should be a little amplified with co2.

Tapped the keg of my "pseudo-grodziskie" today while brewing another batch of my fantastic coffee dry stout. This beer was a 5gal batch made with 3# each of Belgian pilsner malt and white wheat malt, plus just enough acid malt to balance the mash. I smoked it over beech chips for around 3 hours, and then dried the malt in a food dehydrator.

The color came out a bit darker than I anticipated, likely due to temperature within the smoker. After breaking into the keg today, I can say with confidence that this is quite a fun little beer. The smoke flavor, strangely enough, reminds me more of the schlenkerla urbock,rather than the marzen. I will say I'm a bit disappointed in the amount of smoke. I would of course like more. Next batch will likely have a similar malt bill, (I may toss in some dextrine malt) and smoke the malt for a longer period, trying to pull more flavor.

Attachments

• IMAG0313.jpg
    IMAG0313.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 73
Tapped the keg of my "pseudo-grodziskie" today while brewing another batch of my fantastic coffee dry stout. This beer was a 5gal batch made with 3# each of Belgian pilsner malt and white wheat malt, plus just enough acid malt to balance the mash. I smoked it over beech chips for around 3 hours, and then dried the malt in a food dehydrator.

The color came out a bit darker than I anticipated, likely due to temperature within the smoker. After breaking into the keg today, I can say with confidence that this is quite a fun little beer. The smoke flavor, strangely enough, reminds me more of the schlenkerla urbock,rather than the marzen. I will say I'm a bit disappointed in the amount of smoke. I would of course like more. Next batch will likely have a similar malt bill, (I may toss in some dextrine malt) and smoke the malt for a longer period, trying to pull more flavor.
I'm glad to see you are drinking your rauchbier. Also, that you like it too. As for smoke flavor, it's like hops. After you get taste for it you want more and more. I always like the first pour of the day and the first few sips. The smoke is the strongest at that time, then fades. But it doesn't, your pallet adjusts to it.

Regarding smoking, each of us has different equipment, the smoke generated can slight to almost invisible to copious and thick. It might be equipment related and the choice of smoking medium. Wood chips or pellets.

That said, I think beach is a very good mild clean smoke. I really like Apple. Maple is good too. I've done a blend with apple, cherry and maple that was outstanding. You might change it up a little from beech wood. Something less mild and mellow. Maple, hickory, pecan, mesquite... Also adding 2, 4, or 8 of black malt helps get a roasty flavor that pairs well with rauch malt.

If you want to make a malt that has a really good depth of smoke, make a brown malt. Using the maple or the maple blend. Soak the grain with distilled water, so much water that its equal to its grain weight, less 5%. Soak the grain at least 24 hours refrigerated, this should give the grain time to soak it all or most of it into the kernel. Smoke it two hours as usual, then a few hours at 250-300 and few hours at 350-400. The malt will pop like popcorn at that level. Then dry it as normal. Use this grain in ale where its 50% with a good enzyme rich malt like pale malt. Maybe make a brown ale or a porter where 5lbs of this malt makes up the base malt, add the required specialty malts for the style. I think you'll like the beer for the smoke flavor.

If you want an over the top smoke bomb you can use pellets in a 14 oz can with torch to fire it up. The earlier part of the thread discusses this. It will be super smokey. It took me half a keg before I stopped saying it's too smokey.

If you want to talk options or ideas... let's have at it here.

[emoji482]

Last edited:
I've been derelict in rauchbier responsibilities. I need to brew my next rauchbier with pecan smoked pale malt.

Easter will be upon us soon and I vowed to have Gratzer for this Easter. Therefore I need oak smoke some wheat malt. Last year I smoked 6lbs of a 50/50 blend of wheat and pilsner. Then single hopped with saaz.

Waiting for a break in this frigid weather.

That said, I think beach is a very good mild clean smoke. I really like Apple. Maple is good too. I've done a blend with apple, cherry and maple that was outstanding. You might change it up a little from beech wood. Something less mild and mellow. Maple, hickory, pecan, mesquite...
[emoji482]

Killed the Beech wood smoked keg. Now I am working through a new keg where I smoked the same grain bill, that is, 3# wheat and 3# pilsner. The smoke came from a mix this time, with 50:50 ratio by mass of beech and apple chips.

PKiAnkn.jpg

I'm currently lagering a 100% oak smoked beer. After that is kegged, I have 6# of peach smoked malt ready to turn into beer.

Killed the Beech wood smoked keg. Now I am working through a new keg where I smoked the same grain bill, that is, 3# wheat and 3# pilsner. The smoke came from a mix this time, with 50:50 ratio by mass of beech and apple chips.

View attachment 614262

I'm currently lagering a 100% oak smoked beer. After that is kegged, I have 6# of peach smoked malt ready to turn into beer.
I need to oak smoke some grain for my grätzer beer for Easter.

I’m not as fancy as y’all , I used wyerman beach wood smoked malt in a marzen recipie though , it was 50% rauchmalt and the rest was standard malts from wyerman and Briess . Smells like bacon and tast is pretty good when I checked the FG. Can’t wait till September when it’s done lagering !

Just brewed a rauchbier this morning on my birthday, and also my 100th batch! Didn't smoke the malt myself, although I have done so in the past.

50% Weyermann beech smoked malt
16.7% Munich light
16.7% Vienna
12.4% Avangard Pilsner
4.2% Gambrinus honey malt

OG 1.052, SRM 6.4
Bittered with Tettnang @ 60 and 10 min to 22 IBU.
Pitched some WLP802 and away we go...

I’m not as fancy as y’all , I used wyerman beach wood smoked malt in a marzen recipie though , it was 50% rauchmalt and the rest was standard malts from wyerman and Briess . Smells like bacon and tast is pretty good when I checked the FG. Can’t wait till September when it’s done lagering !
Yeah, with some smoked baby back ribs or a plate of pulled pork. Don't forget to post pictures of your beer!

Just brewed a rauchbier this morning on my birthday, and also my 100th batch! Didn't smoke the malt myself, although I have done so in the past.

50% Weyermann beech smoked malt
16.7% Munich light
16.7% Vienna
12.4% Avangard Pilsner
4.2% Gambrinus honey malt

OG 1.052, SRM 6.4
Bittered with Tettnang @ 60 and 10 min to 22 IBU.
Pitched some WLP802 and away we go...
My wife's Beerthday is today too.

Hope you had a Hoppy Beerthday!

Back