Just finished my first extract homebrew, do I have justifiable worries?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tabernak

Reaction score
I just got my first 5 gallon Liberty Cream Ale into the fermenter and didn't seem to have any major problems that I saw until the end. When I was inserting the CO2 blowoff mechanism the way I moved it around caused a few drops of sanitized water to go back into the fermenter. Is that going to impact the yeast too much? Lesson learned for the future, but now I'm worried what damage I may have done now?....

As long as it was sanitized, no worries. RDWHAHB (when it is finished)

Edit: Even if it was right from the tap I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

you will be fine. there is much worse things that fall/get put into a fermentor than sanitizer.toys, kids hands, etc all turned out fine. relax don't worry have a homebrew(or a good commercial)RDWHAHB
edit>i need to type faster

If a horse with a head cold sneezes into your feremnter while drinking from it before you get the yeast pitched, you _might_ have something to worry about.

Thanks for the reassurance, I feel better about it now. Hopefully I'll see some good bubbles here in a couple of days.

as already stated...you actually have to TRY to screw up your beer to really get it to turn out bad.

malkore said:
as already stated...you actually have to TRY to screw up your beer to really get it to turn out bad.

Seems to me that things get screwed up when you think everything went perfectly. Even TRYING to screw it up rarely works:)

I have never had a brew day go perfectly, and I've never had a problem....

It would be good to know what you used for a sanitizer (Not bleach I hope.) For your air lock use cheap vodka next time.

My first extract was also a Liberty cream ale. I did not get the carbonation that I would have liked so in my 2nd batch I made sure to lightly mix the priming suger where in the first batch, I simply let the siphon do the mixing. Give it a light swirl or two,, don't oxygenate it, just make sure it is somewhat mixed. The 2nd batch is nicely carbed. I've since gone to kegging so life is easier:) ..

Brett

Thanks, I'll keep that advice in mind with the priming sugar. I just wanted to say I came home today to see a healthy stream of bubbles coming out of the C02 thing (whatever it's called). Life is good!

shafferpilot said:
Seems to me that things get screwed up when you think everything went perfectly. Even TRYING to screw it up rarely works:)

I have never had a brew day go perfectly, and I've never had a problem....

I agree completely...
nothing ever goes perfect, but so far, the beer has all been good,
so I am sure not going to argue... or worry.

tabernak said:
I just got my first 5 gallon Liberty Cream Ale into the fermenter and didn't seem to have any major problems that I saw until the end. When I was inserting the CO2 blowoff mechanism the way I moved it around caused a few drops of sanitized water to go back into the fermenter. Is that going to impact the yeast too much? Lesson learned for the future, but now I'm worried what damage I may have done now?....

If you use a blow off tube, then you don't need to worry about what is in the bubbler, or if it might get into the beer, at all.

Poindexter said:
If a horse with a head cold sneezes into your feremnter while drinking from it before you get the yeast pitched, you _might_ have something to worry about.

:ban: hahahahaha i just LOLed at that:mug:

So, it's been about 10 days and I went ahead and checked my hydro reading. I forgot to do the SG reading and was afraid to open the primary again after I realized that. The target SG for this kit is 1.042-1.046, and FG is 1.010 and 1.012, I just read mine at 1.016. This was my first check and I'm not sure fermenting is done (hoping to bottle Wednesday). What's the largest variance I should expect? I was just hoping the lazy method of waiting 2 weeks to bottle it would take care of the fermenting stage.

I also tasted it and I'd say it was a little bitter and sour, that's alright for the primary, right? It should mellow over the next 3-4 weeks.....

Thanks for all the help!

tabernak said:
So, it's been about 10 days and I went ahead and checked my hydro reading. I forgot to do the SG reading and was afraid to open the primary again after I realized that. The target SG for this kit is 1.042-1.046, and FG is 1.010 and 1.012, I just read mine at 1.016. This was my first check and I'm not sure fermenting is done (hoping to bottle Wednesday). What's the largest variance I should expect? I was just hoping the lazy method of waiting 2 weeks to bottle it would take care of the fermenting stage.

I also tasted it and I'd say it was a little bitter and sour, that's alright for the primary, right? It should mellow over the next 3-4 weeks.....

Thanks for all the help!

Time makes a big difference. Since you're a little high on the FG, my first thoughts are to ask what temp you're at, and what yeast you're using. If your room temp is under 70F I say, warm it up. If you used Windsor instead of Nottingham, I say.... warm it up. Windsor is notorious for shutting down early, and any ale yeast wants 70F to 75F to reach full attenuation. If you find the temp is low, warm it up AND give it a little swirl to get the yeast off their butts and back into gear. I know it can be hard to wait for your first batches to truly finish, but I promise, you will be rewarded with very good homebrew if you do.

tabernak said:
The yeast I used was just Munton's from this kit:
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=3321

The temp has been hovering around 65 the last several days, I'll get it warmed up to 70+ for the next few days to help it out. I'm just hoping to have this ready for the superbowl, I can wait a couple more days in the primary. Thanks for the tip.

Sounds like a good plan. make sure your priming sugar is well mixed and keep the bottles good and warm and you'll be ready in time for super bowl:)

Latest posts

Back