Just bottled an IPA that was in fermentor for 2.5 years

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting.

Autolysis, while certainly rare, definitely isn't a myth. From my experience, you don't have to worry. The gross, meaty stench is immediately apparent.

What you may have to worry about is oxidation. I've had that issue in some of my older bottled beers.

If I were you, I'd crack a bottle right now and try it. It'll be flat and sweet, but at least you'll know if anything is terribly amiss.

Also, I have to ask, when you were topping off the airlock for 2.5 years, were you thinking "Ach. I'll get to bottling that next weekend..."

[EDITED TO ADD] You could crack one, have a sample, and then do the balloon test someone suggested upthread.

After pitching the yeast that came with the Coopers kit, the beer sat in the primary for the full 2.5 years from Nov 2012 until April 2015.

This weekend (Saturday 5/9) will be 14 days. I will be cracking one open! I expect no to little carbonation. If there's at least some sign of fizz (a hiss at opening, something, anything!), I am going to let the rest condition longer before drinking more.

So? Did it happen? I'm sitting on the edge of my set waiting for the news. I assume if we don't hear anything, then the beer became poison and OP is dead in a corner.

Also, I have to ask, when you were topping off the airlock for 2.5 years, were you thinking "Ach. I'll get to bottling that next weekend..."

This...

How does one acknowledge that they have beer to bottle still by going through the steps to add vodka to the airlock but never follow through with bottling it? That would have drove me nuts! But hey, to each their own. Curious to see the results just like everyone else.

This...

How does one acknowledge that they have beer to bottle still by going through the steps to add vodka to the airlock but never follow through with bottling it? That would have drove me nuts! But hey, to each their own. Curious to see the results just like everyone else.

That's why I'm skeptical!!!

This...

i think i'll answer for him, as it seems he won't be returning to this thread for a few months....

i believe at one point he said he had a newborn or something. life got in the way. if you're on your own to bottle it can take a good chunk of time to bottle 5 gallons. it takes 2 minutes (depending upon how big one's house is and depending on how far away the bottle of vodka is from the fermenter) to fill up the airlock.

i think i'll answer for him, as it seems he won't be returning to this thread for a few months....

i believe at one point he said he had a newborn or something. life got in the way. if you're on your own to bottle it can take a good chunk of time to bottle 5 gallons. it takes 2 minutes (depending upon how big one's house is and depending on how far away the bottle of vodka is from the fermenter) to fill up the airlock.

Having children of my own, I get it...I really do. But in 2 1/2 years he didn't have a couple hours to burn to bottle? That is just crazy. I am not saying I don't believe the guy, what reason does he have to make the story up? Its just mind blowing to me that he didn't forget that it was there, he just didn't take the time to bottle it in 2 1/2 years. Its just hard for me to grasp.

Having children of my own, I get it...I really do. But in 2 1/2 years he didn't have a couple hours to burn to bottle? That is just crazy. I am not saying I don't believe the guy, what reason does he have to make the story up? Its just mind blowing to me that he didn't forget that it was there, he just didn't take the time to bottle it in 2 1/2 years. Its just hard for me to grasp.

(Editing this a lot....it was too depressing)

(Well, no editing, just deleted whole darn thing.)

What if OP is actually foodbabe?

can't be. she probably doesn't drink alcohol. Ethanol can be referred to by a long, complex, hard-to-pronounce name, and is the excrement of fungus which just sounds gross.

Oh the low hanging fruit we could pick from this tree...

To all the doubters, I am super happy you have never lived a life of such stress that it kills all and every bit of motivation. I can TOTALLY understand how someone could manage to maintain something but then look at the next step as some monumental mountain that would just take too much effort.

It is a kind of stress induced depression. And I live it every day for the last 2-3 years. Still looking for a new job, but hard to come by and even harder to start my own company to just get out of the rat race.

I have done all the plumbing in every house I have lived in. It took me about a year and half to finally pull the kitchen faucet and tighten it up, I just lived with the aggravation of the swivel being loose because the next step was just some distant dream.

When someone is so stressed in life they can barely make it home, eat dinner and zone out. There is no passion or drive left, there is no 'hey that is neat", and there is definitely NO "hey I am looking forward to that". No, when you are this stressed looking forward to something is just too much work.

Not saying that is the OP's situation at all, but there are very responsible people in the world that are just too stressed to do anything 'fun'.

Wow, definitely did not intend to push any buttons here or upset anyone. Maybe I should have rephrased to indicate that it would be hard for me to go 2 1/2 years without bottling it.

But do me a couple of favors.

One, read my post again, I specifically indicated that I am not doubting the guy (as I indicated clearly) and I have no reason to believe he lying. I really don't. I am genuinely interested in how this ends up.

Second, don't make blanket statements about the stress in people's lives. You don't know me from Joe Schmo walking down the street and you don't have a clue about the life I have lived and what I have endured. So don't make assumptions. I didn't make assumptions about anyone's stress levels, especially yours.

Simply stated, I personally could not wait 2 1/2 years to bottle a beer. This is in no way, shape or form an attack on the OP as you seemed to have taken it. I will wait patiently for the result of the OP's taste test.

Wow, definitely did not intend to push any buttons here or upset anyone.
This is in no way, shape or form an attack on the OP as you seemed to have taken it.

No, no buttons pushed, just was trying to point out how I could totally relate to time getting away from a person on a project. Stress can easily do it. It was just a counter to multiple I can't understand posts.

This was also NOT meant at an attack. Sorry if it came off that way.

I will wait patiently for the result of the OP's taste test.

Me too, this is a fun thread and I should probably pull that post. Don't want to get us derailed from a silly supportive thread.

This was also NOT meant at an attack. Sorry if it came off that way.

Me too, this is a fun thread and I should probably pull that post. Don't want to get us derailed from a silly supportive thread.

It's the internet. It's hard to hear someones tone. I'm glad it was quoted to read it. If you read it without any further context, it can come off as negative. Read the follow ups, and then re-read the original? It's a different post.

They say you learn patience with this hobby. OP is a zen master! :) I couldn't do it (although, I have been meaning to finish some other projects for quite a while.....). I just want to hear about the taste. Maybe he's onto something, and this is a killer new brew. :rockin:

Well, I had a cider that was in my carboy for 2+ years, then bottled and forgotten about for 11 years. Found it and tried it, and entered into homebrew competition this year, and it got second place! There is hope for your beer! Looking forward to your report.

I have 5 gallons that was infected with Brett over a year ago that I'll be trying to keg pretty soon... I'll sample it first before I bother otherwise it looks the same as when it was infected, no black just a brett top still.

Exactly, the guy waited 2.5 years to bottle, you really think he's thinking "OH, it's been a little while, I should update my post on HBT"? 😃

Back