Just bottled an IPA that was in fermentor for 2.5 years

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fanch75

Reaction score
In Nov 2012, I brewed an IPA using extract. My daughter was born around that time, and I never had enough enthusiasm to bottle it. Anyway, this past weekend (on 4/25/15 to be exact), I came across this batch while doing a family "purge old stuff" project and I finally bottled it! The beer smelled fine, there was no mold or any signs of infection, and the beer was very clear.

I'm sure this is an outlier situation, and my expectations are in check, but I'm hoping this beer is drinkable. I named this batch after my daughter, "Gianna's 900 Day IPA."

I'll report back in a few months on how it tastes. Has anyone had a situation like this (similar), and how did it turn out? I assume it is safe to drink since it appeared to be in good shape.

Edit: Here are the specifics, as best I can remember:
- Brew date: Nov 2012
- Bottling date: April 25, 2015. The beer sat in the primary bucket for the full 2.5 years, and I used a siphon to move to the bottling bucket at bottling.
- Extract: Coopers Selection IPA (creates 5 gallons)
- Extra fermentables: Used the recommended amount of DME instead of corn sugar
- Water: Tap water
- Yeast: The packet that came with the Coopers kit (did not re-use yeast from a prior yeast cake)
- Pitching temperature: About 70 degrees
- Storage temperature: About 60 degrees in winter, about 70 in summer (stored in basement bathroom shower)
- Primer for bottling: 2/3 cup of corn sugar. I did not do any dry-hopping at bottling I did not add any additional yeast at bottling. My decided options were to either dump it or bottle it, so I just bottled it. At best I have 50 bottles of drinkable beer, at worst it's awful and I wasted a few hours on bottling day.
- OG and FG: I don't remember the OG, and I could not quickly (key word) find my hydrometer so I did not take a final gravity reading. Remember, it was in the bucket from Nov 2012 to April 2015, so I assumed fermentation was complete)
- I used vodka for the airlock, and kept it full for the entire 2.5 years. If this beer is drinkable, I credit this for that.
- I did not taste the beer before bottling. After pulling the bucket lid off after 2.5 years, I took a look and whiff and it smelled fine and looked fine. Crystal clear. A weaker "beer scent" certainly, but nothing foul. I've never had autolysis occur in any of my brews but I've read that the smell is "knock you 10 feet back" bad, and this beer smelled fine!
- Luck: It needs lots of it! Let's hope it carbonates.

5/14/2015 Update - the taste test!

Alright, I am back. I see a few folks are eager to read about how the beer tastes. Sorry I didn't get on sooner to type up a response, just didn't get around to it.

So on 5/9/15, Saturday night (day 14 of in the bottle), I cracked open a bottle with a buddy of mine. I could not wait to taste it! It did fizz *a little*, not much, but there were signs of carbonation! Very little however, I poured the beer into the glass (half for me, half for my buddy - wasn't goign to waste 2 bottles if it needed more conditioning). We gave each other a salute, and drank up.

It was flat, and I can't stand flat beer (which is why I don't bother tasting out of the primary - I'd throw out every batch based on the pre-conditioned taste). No signs of hops at all, it did have a *very faint* beer aroma. No foul smell, no hops smell, kind of like light beer I guess. Drinkign it, it was hard to get away from the flatness of it and it was not very good. Extremely bitter (I love IPAs but I made a bitter-beer face) but without the tasty benefits of the hops. I don't know what beer tastes like after autolysis occurs, but the beer did not taste good, but it certainly dit not smell bad which makes me think autolysis did not happen. It did not taste sour so I don't believe the beer to be infected. I know this will probably annoy a few of you but the weak carbonation gave me hope and I am going to give it more time to see if those yeasts can reproduce some more and add some more CO2 to the beer.

If you are interested in this story, please give it time. On the day I bottled it, my intent was to just throw the batch away but couldn't get myself to do it since the beer smelled fine and did not have any signs of infection. We feared the yeast would be dead to few, and it would probably take a while to condition if it conditioned at all.

20150425_203558.jpg

20150425_203547.jpg

Just to be sure here, you did add some fresh yeast before bottling right? After 2.5 years the cell count is going to be REALLY low and could take forever to carbonate if ever. I'd have been inclined to keg it.
Anyway, it should be safe to drink as long as the airlock stayed full. If you hadn't racked it off the yeast cake it could be pretty dirty tasting.
I had a batch of stronger stuff my brother made planning to put in the pot (apple/banana) when he moved out 2 years ago. It didn't smell bad when I pitched it but the fruit had all turned to slime so I didn't even bother tasting it.

Idk.... i would have dumped it. IPAs are only good when fresh. Only beer i would want thats that old is either a barely wine or sour.

Idk.... i would have dumped it. IPAs are only good when fresh. Only beer i would want thats that old is either a barely wine or sour.

Are ya nuts? at that age, i'd bottle it just to see what it would be like...no point in dumping it if it takes all of 2-3 hours to bottle and have some fun with it....

If it didn't smell (or look) "off", I'm sure it'll be ok. Just don't expect it to be a hop bomb. That ship has likely sailed years ago. Also, don't be surprised if it has the moldy cardboard sorta flavor. Unless it was keep sealed under Co2 for all these years and kept in a container that is impermeable to O2, it's like to have come into contact with a fair amount of O2 - and will be oxidized to a degree.

What the heck - dry hop it! I love when I come across an old batch I forgot about. Always surprised - sometimes in a good way, sometimes not. . . :)
P

I did not add any new yeast and it did sit on the original yeast cake for the entire time. The airlock had vodka in it (which I did refill a few times over the 2.5 years to keep it sanitary inside). I transferred to a bottling bucket at the time of bottling.

For the first time since we moved 6 years ago, we are goign through things and purging unwanted items. One of those was the 5 gallons of IPA that was brewed in 2012. After peaking in the bucket and seeing no signs of infection, I decided to bottle it rather than toss it. I'm just gonna RDWHAHB and see what happens.

Unless it was keep sealed under Co2 for all these years and kept in a container that is impermeable to O2, it's like to have come into contact with a fair amount of O2 - and will be oxidized to a degree.

The bucket was closed for the full 2.5 years, and I kept the airlock full of vodka. When I siphoned into the bottling bucket, there were no bubbles, the beer was clear and still. I am hopign that means it had very little exposure to O2. Hoping!

My expectations are in check, I'm just glad that it won't be poison. I am very curious to see how it tastes! I couldn't make myself throw it out.

Wow. In for tasting notes.

ME TOO!!!

IPAs are only good when fresh.

You do know how IPA's came to be right? :confused:

The bucket was closed for the full 2.5 years, and I kept the airlock full of vodka. When I siphoned into the bottling bucket, there were no bubbles, the beer was clear and still. I am hopign that means it had very little exposure to O2. Hoping!

My expectations are in check, I'm just glad that it won't be poison. I am very curious to see how it tastes! I couldn't make myself throw it out.

The fact there was no mould growth I'm amazed by, do you still have the original recipe from that batch after all this time? Be curious to see what was sitting for so long.

Calling it a 900 Day IPA is hilarious and perfectly fitting :rockin:

Next time dry hop it for a week then add half a packet of EC-1118 at bottling to ensure carbonation.

Did you taste it? Smelling and looking at it are good too, but that should let you know whether it's drinkable or not.

Are ya nuts? at that age, i'd bottle it just to see what it would be like...no point in dumping it if it takes all of 2-3 hours to bottle and have some fun with it....

No, im not nuts. Pretty sure i would know what it tastes like already. It would taste like an IPA but with no hop flavor or aroma. So your left with a very bitter beer......

ME TOO!!!

You do know how IPA's came to be right? :confused:

The fact there was no mould growth I'm amazed by, do you still have the original recipe from that batch after all this time? Be curious to see what was sitting for so long.

Calling it a 900 Day IPA is hilarious and perfectly fitting :rockin:

Yes, i am aware of how the IPA was created.

You do know that we don't dry hop IPAs to prevent them from going bad right.... We arent on a boat sailing to India.

IPAs are best fresh.... and as a brewer, you should know this.

I recon it's not going to be that great. Did the recipe have crystal malt in it? If so is might cause more issues than hop aroma diminishment. It will be interesting if it has any autolysis flavours

I've had an IPA of mine that sat in the bottle for about 15 months and it was fine, no aroma of course but the bitterness was nice and the flavor was good.

I agree, this may not carbonate as most of the yeast were dormant or dead after that much time. If it doesn't carbonate you can always use carb drops and a bit of dry yeast in each bottle and recap.

There is nothing to learn from throwing away a beer that may not be to style without even tasting it. Both aroma and bitterness drop out of beers over extended aging, so forget the notion of "IPA" style. Lets learn something from this beer instead of dismissing it off hand.

Questions to evaluate:
1. Will it carbonate
2. Is there any remaining hop aroma or bitterness
3. Is the beer balanced, or is it all malt backbone
4. Is the beer clean and infection-free
5. Is the beer oxidized
6. How did the malt bill contribute to the flavor profile (assuming the hop contribution is little to none)

I recon it's not going to be that great. Did the recipe have crystal malt in it? If so is might cause more issues than hop aroma diminishment. It will be interesting if it has any autolysis flavours

If autolysis occurred, wouldn't it have an awful smell? I just looked at John Palmer's "How to Brew" book and it said that if it happens, you will know it right away from the smell.

Who knows, maybe this beer will be amazing and the "900 Day IPA" will become a new trend (ha). :mug:

If autolysis occurred, wouldn't it have an awful smell? I just looked at John Palmer's "How to Brew" book and it said that if it happens, you will know it right away from the smell.

Who knows, maybe this beer will be amazing and the "900 Day IPA" will become a new trend (ha). :mug:

This may finally put the autolysis bugaboo to it's final resting place. Hope it turns out well.

No, im not nuts. Pretty sure i would know what it tastes like already. It would taste like an IPA but with no hop flavor or aroma. So your left with a very bitter beer......

Yes, i am aware of how the IPA was created.

You do know that we don't dry hop IPAs to prevent them from going bad right.... We arent on a boat sailing to India.

IPAs are best fresh.... and as a brewer, you should know this.

I think the point is that your suggestion to "just dump it" after 2.5 years, simply because he called it "IPA", is short-sighted, unscientific, and will teach us nothing

Tonight I think I am going to give the bottles a gentle shake by turning each one upside down a few times to "wake the yeast up." I have them on the main level of the house right now, about 70 degrees. A little warm, but again, trying to wake them up. A plan to move them down into the basement where it is about 60 degrees after a few days.

To be clear on the smell, it definitely had a weakened aroma but it smelled like beer and definitely did not smell foul. I'm getting a good feeling about this. I uploaded pics of it to the original post, but here is the beer in the bottling bucket. Look at how clear it is.

20150425_203547.jpg

Wow, that's crazy. 2.5 years. I'm glad you went ahead and bottled them up. Should be interesting even if they end up tasting gross. Did you taste it at all before you bottled them?

Tonight I think I am going to give the bottles a gentle shake by turning each one upside down a few times to "wake the yeast up." I have them on the main level of the house right now, about 70 degrees. A little warm, but again, trying to wake them up. A plan to move them down into the basement where it is about 60 degrees after a few days.

If it were me, I would plan on leaving them as warm as you can get them for at least a couple of months since you didn't add any yeast at bottling. I think it will take a while for these to carbonate, if they do at all. Good luck though! I mostly responded just to subscribe to this thread!

To be clear on the smell, it definitely had a weakened aroma but it smelled like beer and definitely did not smell foul. I'm getting a good feeling about this. I uploaded pics of it to the original post, but here is the beer in the bottling bucket. Look at how clear it is.

You could always pop the cap off of one and replace the cap with a balloon to see if it's actually carbonating. My guess is that those yeasts are completely dead.

I don't know why so many homebrewers sit back and root for every possible defect in the brewing process to be disproven as myth. I guess they just want making exception beer to be easier, but it's not that hard if you take these defects and their contributing factors into consideration.

HSA might be mostly myth in homebrew circles, but autolysis, oxidization, dms, diacetyl, skunking,....these are real things. Take a sensory analysis course and judge a large homebrew competition to see, taste and smell them in action. Sitting back and hoping a stranger on the internet tells you they're not real is not going to improve your brewing.

Some groupthink, like "IPA's are ONLY good fresh" is just dogma. It's not true. It may not be what you want from an IPA, but I've had 2 year old heady topper that was absolutely amazing. I always strive to drink them fresh because the hop aroma and flavor tend to diminish over time, but that doesn't mean it's a ruined beer if it ages, it's just a DIFFERENT beer. I got a gold medal in a big contest once with an aged DIPA. I entered it as an American Barleywine. It was 2nd place best of show too.

Anyway, /grumpyoldmanrantaboutgroupthink

I don't know why so many homebrewers sit back and root for every possible defect in the brewing process to be disproven as myth. I guess they just want making exception beer to be easier, but it's not that hard if you take these defects and their contributing factors into consideration.

HSA might be mostly myth in homebrew circles, but autolysis, oxidization, dms, diacetyl, skunking,....these are real things. Take a sensory analysis course and judge a large homebrew competition to see, taste and smell them in action. Sitting back and hoping a stranger on the internet tells you they're not real is not going to improve your brewing.

Some groupthink, like "IPA's are ONLY good fresh" is just dogma. It's not true. It may not be what you want from an IPA, but I've had 2 year old heady topper that was absolutely amazing. I always strive to drink them fresh because the hop aroma and flavor tend to diminish over time, but that doesn't mean it's a ruined beer if it ages, it's just a DIFFERENT beer. I got a gold medal in a big contest once with an aged DIPA. I entered it as an American Barleywine. It was 2nd place best of show too.

I had an 18 month old Firestone Union Jack that I kind of wish I could replicate. Absolutely zero hop aroma that I could detect, super bitter with enough malt to back it up. Too bad there's no way a home brew is going to sit on a shelf that long at my house.

Eh, that's exactly how the science of brewing advances, by trial and error.
If we just accept all these things like god-given truth, we'll never get better at beer making.
Autolysis is practically impossible under 3 months, especially with hops and alcohol present.
Skunking is a fact, it has been observed and there is a reason beer is mostly sold in uv-safe packaging.

Tonight I think I am going to give the bottles a gentle shake by turning each one upside down a few times to "wake the yeast up."

Just so we are totally clear, most of the folks here, me included, are certain your yeast have died, and if you want to naturally carbonate the brew in bottles you will have to pop the tops and add more yeast. :mug:

Back