Just Another Brew Day...(Pics)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
starter on stir plate (wlp400) will crush grain tonight and fire up the burners in the morning!

Just tasted this after 1 week in a bottle. Woh, I think it's ready. And it's good. I can't believe how quickly it went from grain to glass... 3 weeks! Mine came in at 4.2%

48hrs on the gas. Frikkin good yard working refresher! definitely taste the pepper. As usual, another winner BM.

wit-nes.jpg

Just finished brewing this and noticed the wort has a fairly strong orange taste. This makes sense given the 3 oz. of orange peel for the 5-gal batch, but hoping it fades a bit. Any comments on this from anyone?

Incidentally, my O.G. came in at just 1.040, which isn't a huge miss, but it still sucks.

SUb'd

I brewed this the other day, and it smelled awesome.

Only a few changes to the boil. I used:

5Lbs Belgian Pilsner
5Lbs Unmalted White Wheat (Soft White Winter Wheat berries)
.5Lbs Flaked Wheat
WLP400 - no starter (it was a new vial)

My wife mills her own flour to make bread, so we have a lot of the wheat berries on hand. I used the same spice schedule as the original post, for a 5 gallon batch. The smell from the chamomile/orange zest combo was phenomenal. Since the hops are very subdued I used what I had on hand that I thought would be a nice pairing. I added .5 ounces of Horizon at the start of the boil.

I ended up with an OG of 1.045 and it is currently bubbling away in my primary. The only thing I forgot to do was add in the flour to 'lock in' the cloudy appearance. I hope to have an update, and pictures, soon. Thanks, BierMuncher.

P.S. - One thing I will say about the wheat berries, they are very hard for my mill to work through. My power drill was struggling. LOL. I may use my wife's NutriMill next time. Then I will surely get that cloudy appearance.

Just got home from the shop after picking up some ingredients to brew a mini-mash version of this I've been tinkering around with for a while, but they didn't have any of the liquid yeast strains that people have been using. I ended up grabbing a smack pack of 3942 (Belgian Wheat), and after reading a little about it, I'm not sure if its the right pick for this one. Should I order some Belgian Wit, or roll with the Wheat?

I would order the Wit. I have brewed a couple Wit recipes but used different Belgian yeasts and they have been good, but not what I would call a Wit, more like blondes in my opinion. It's one of those styles that really needs the right yeast to do it justice.

Just called up the other shop in town and they have a pack of the Wit on hold for me to pick up tomorrow.

Thanks for the heads up!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Got this kegged up the other day. The flavors are an awesome mix of summer. The citrus really comes front and center after a few days. I used WLP-400 and was really happy that my FG was 1.009. The cloudiness is there, which I was really worried about, because I forgot to add my cup o' flower in the boil.

My wife is not happy with the scent of WLP-400, it is not like other wheat based beers.

Here are some pictures of my final product.

Belgian Witbier 1.jpg

Belgian Witbier 2.jpg

Just got this one kegged and all carbonated up, this stuff is delicious!

Super easy to convert it into a mini mash, and the pay off is awesome. Can't wait to try the real deal all-grain version.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404452593.353405.jpg

Just kegged my second batch of this! this time I just add 1/2 of pepper... we'll see how it goes, first keg only last 2 weeks!!!

Just sampled this recipe as I grabbed a sample to test gravity. All I can say is WOW nice light taste of citrus followed up by some pepper bite ate the end. 1.010 after 13 days. Used WLP 400 and got about 13 gallons out of the boil kettle. Also added about an ounce of Ginger too. So I will test again in a few more days and then get some into a keg and some into bottles. I forgot the flower so it may clear a little much for the style but the awesome taste makes up for that.

Hi all.
Small noob question.
In the recipe, it is stated: ([edit] refering to post #15)
8# 2-row
9# Flaked Wheat
2# White Wheat Malt

Would that be
8 lbs 2-row
9 lbs Flaked Wheat
2 lbs White Wheat Malt

Thanks!
Zolt

Back