Just Another Brew Day...(Pics)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I'm getting ready to brew this up this weekend, and this is going to be my first AG attempt. I'm itching to try AG, but can't invest in the equipment for awhile, so I'll be using DeathBrewers https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-stovetop-all-grain-brewing-pics-90132/.

After reading through this whole thread, there are two concerns I have. First, it sounded like there were a lot of issues regarding sticky sparges. Do you think this is going to be an issue with the method I'm using? (I cut the recipe in half for 5 gallons.)

Also, this method will likely result in lower efficiency than BM. Would it be a good idea to compensate for this by actually making less (say 4 gallons)? I need to spend some time figuring this out, any ideas or thoughts?

You can't get a stuck sparge with the bag method...no concern there.

I'd just keep some extract on hand in case you get low efficiency. Or increase the amount of grain (if possible with your pot size) to whatever efficiency you plan to get. But since you haven't used this method before, it would probably be best to have extract ready.

You can't get a stuck sparge with the bag method...no concern there.

I'd just keep some extract on hand in case you get low efficiency. Or increase the amount of grain (if possible with your pot size) to whatever efficiency you plan to get. But since you haven't used this method before, it would probably be best to have extract ready.

Great, thanks! I have about a pound of Pale DME on hand that I'll be able to use. That should probably be enough, at least enough to compensate a little.

Just thought I'd add here that I entered this recipe in the HBT contest. It took 2nd in the Belgian Wit cagetory.

I entered a slightly modified recipe into our local fair too and took 3rd with it. I was on the very low end of the OG actually 2 points under so it is definitely a light beer but very tasty.

I'm still somewhat new around here- so I've just seen the thread for the first time! I've got to say this sounds like an awesome recipe...when I make the move to AG, it'll be one of the first I try for sure! Thanks for sharing BM!

Just brewed this up on Sunday/Monday (2 2.5 gallon batches). I turned out VERY well, fermentation is winding down a bit (it went pretty quickly) and it looks and smells delightful.

I've posted pictures of the brew day here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/all-grain-brewing-extract-brewing-equipment-pics-142648/ if anybody is interested. I used a Stovetop AG Method that allows me to do small batches.

I'll let you all know how the final product turns out.

If using a Belgian yeast that produces moderate to high level of phenolics would you leave out the black pepper?

I have made this twice with wlp 400. The first time I used no pepper and the second time I used 1 TBSP and I thought it was better the second time I made it. Everyone else who had tried it both times agreed. The pepper was the only thing I changed between the two batches other than forgetting the flour in the second batch but that should no affect taste.

First, thanks for the recipe! I used this for my second AG brew! Short brew story, my first AG was great, but I had planned it out more.. this one I wasn't as prepared and I was trying to fit it into a small window of brew time. Long story short is I had two interuptions - first my mash time was a bit longer around 90-100mins (no biggy) also I had to stop my boil 30mins in then continued after a 30min break, granted no biggy I had planned to go 90mins anyway. Hit my target of 1.058. So far so good, pitched a starter from Wyeast Wit yeast. Bubbled along nicely!

My question is, I did a hydro reading last night, looks like around 1.015 at 70degrees. I gave it a taste as well. I know it is still young - I just brewed it on Sat. (4-5 days in pail), but does the pepper bite mellow a bit with time?

EDIT: removed "question of adding honey as priming sugar" due to RTFM...

Getting ready to brew this tomorrow. Has anyone tried using orange extract or orange peel from the grocery store spice aisle? I don't mind getting the oranges and grating the peels off, but I think most of the rest of the oranges may end up going to waste. My LHBS also has sweet or bitter orange peel for under $2 per oz.
Also, is it worth throwing some rice hulls into this mash? It looks like a lot of wheat.

Getting ready to brew this tomorrow. Has anyone tried using orange extract or orange peel from the grocery store spice aisle? I don't mind getting the oranges and grating the peels off, but I think most of the rest of the oranges may end up going to waste. My LHBS also has sweet or bitter orange peel for under $2 per oz.
Also, is it worth throwing some rice hulls into this mash? It looks like a lot of wheat.

Your right about the wheat, you definitely want the rice hulls or you will likely get a stuck sparge.
I've never tried dried orange peel in this brew but in my experience with other beers, I prefer the actual zested orange peel just make sure you dont get the pith.

Like Spludge said...rice hulls are a plus with this recipe.

I like the fresh much better...I just throw the peeled oranges into a zip lock and they keep in the fridge for a week or more.

Just popped the top on my first one, amazing. The head looks great, nice lacing, aroma is light, flowery and citrusy, and the taste is exactly what I was going for. It is more 'citrusy' than most wits which have more of an 'orange' taste, and this is because I added some lemon zest in with the orange zest. This is probably my best brew to date.

Thanks BM for a great recipe. I'll be trying your Centennial Blonde here in a few days, I'll let you know how that goes.

I'm going to brew this on sat 11/21 using 13 gal of water and a BIAB method.

What should my preboil gravity be? 1.045?

Should I check my preboil gravity and add some DME if needed to get my gravity up?

Suggestions?

Bull

Just wanted to say thanks for the recipe!! I brewed this for my second ever batch. I am not a huge Wit/Wheat beer fan and brewed more for the SWMBO, but I like it (and so has everyone that has tried it)... and I made it... which makes it all the more better!

I am looking forward to brewing your Ode to Arthur around Xmas time.

:mug:

Just wanted to say thanks for the recipe!! I brewed this for my second ever batch. I am not a huge Wit/Wheat beer fan and brewed more for the SWMBO, but I like it (and so has everyone that has tried it)... and I made it... which makes it all the more better!

I am looking forward to brewing your Ode to Arthur around Xmas time.

Thaks.

Brew it now so it's perfect for Christmas Eve.

Brewed this again on sunday. Havent had this around since Halloween and a lot of people that frequent my house have been getting really antsy for me to brew it again. Love the smell of this beer fermenting

Brewed this again on sunday. Havent had this around since Halloween and a lot of people that frequent my house have been getting really antsy for me to brew it again. Love the smell of this beer fermenting

It's not to soon to start thinking of the warm weather beers. I miss this beer. Going to have to whip some up in the next few weeks.

I got all the ingredients for this beer last night, but my LHBS only had 5lbs of flaked wheat. I know BM said that he would use oats as a sub for the flaked wheat if he had to. I supplemented flaked oats for the remaining 4lbs. Anyone know how this is going to affect the final outcome??

Brew this one up again yesterday...

Only had 1 oz of Saaz, (subbed for Sterling) so I added a 1/2 oz of Centennial at 15min and 1/2 more at flame out... (I love the citrusy notes of Centennial so hoping it will go well with the other spices)

I am going to attempt this for my First AG. Seems like a way to go. I have beersmith and fumbling my way around with it. So from my understanding, mash in at 155f and sparge at 170f. Here is my question after reading tons and tons about AG. Oh, I also have just completed my first Partial Mash using a Keggle I built. I have 10 extract brews under my belt as well. Got a 10 gallon rubbermaid conversion for the MLT with a false bottom and a fly sparge dealio to set on top of the cooler. Ok, Firing my noob question, How much water do I mash in with? How much water do I sparge with? I have not ever seen this process done and I am a visual learner...

I am going to attempt this for my First AG. Seems like a way to go. I have beersmith and fumbling my way around with it. So from my understanding, mash in at 155f and sparge at 170f. Here is my question after reading tons and tons about AG. Oh, I also have just completed my first Partial Mash using a Keggle I built. I have 10 extract brews under my belt as well. Got a 10 gallon rubbermaid conversion for the MLT with a false bottom and a fly sparge dealio to set on top of the cooler. Ok, Firing my noob question, How much water do I mash in with? How much water do I sparge with? I have not ever seen this process done and I am a visual learner...

Figure 1.25 quarts of mash water for every pound of grain. I usually go a bit more. You'll really want to focus on getting to your desired rest temp of 155 so if you are getting close to having your mash water added, start taking temps and tweak the addition of more hot water to achieve targeted temp.

Since you are fly sparging, no need to worry about sparge volume. You'll just sparge unit you reach your desired preboil volume.

Ok, Firing my noob question, How much water do I mash in with? How much water do I sparge with? I have not ever seen this process done and I am a visual learner...

I am with you that is how I learn best... I would recommend some YouTube searches... I remember several videos on people doing step-by-step AG recipes.

Oh sweet, thanks for the help. Beersmith said 21.25 quarts and I watched some videos. Should be pretty easy and makes sense now. :)

Just pitched the yeast on 11gal of this. The fresh orange peel smelled so good while brewing. Can't wait to try this one in a month or so.

Brewed this not once but twice in a row. Both 10gallon batches with White Labs Platinum 410 Belgian Wit II yeast. The other changes I made to the recipe are - white pepper instead of black, and the second batch I threw in 1 lime peel grated. The first batch is a touch young but is still delicious!!
dsc05290fm.jpg

33lnwbr.jpg

mvsy9i.jpg

Just brewed another 10G batch of this to split with TheGuy yesterday. We forgot to add the pepper to the boil so we decided to "dry pepper" it :D WE through the pepper into the primary and will let it go in there with the yeasties. Should be an interesting experiment.

I brewed this a couple of days ago on my new two tier electric keggle system. I attempted to be doing this in the system setup for a manual herms style, but the pump did not work like I wanted(will be getting a little giant soon). The gravity system worked great, though.

I had a couple of minor issues, however.

The mash was at more of a 148 than 154.

I sparged for about an hour at 155(almost stuck but slow nonetheless)

The pepper seemed strong in flavor(my original recipe for 11 gallons called for 1.5oz or about three tablespoons).

I dumped some of the first running after the boil that were very heavy in pepper(about 2 quarts).

Fermenting now at about 65.

I will transfer to secondary a couple of days before kegging, so that I can pull more of the pepper off.

Everything seems good other than these few minor concerns. Can't wait to have it on tap.

Back