Is yeast washing really helping???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimstad13

Reaction score
I have timed my brews to pitch on yeast cake a couple of times now, with great results. I would like to save the yeast for the first time in jars for a later date. Almost everything I have read recommends washing, eliminating the trub and dead yeast cells before saving the viable cells. However, I have come across this post which seems to say I would be wasting huge amounts of viable yeast cells by following this accepted process. I would like to know any thoughts you all might have on this subject. I really do value all the hard work and info. everyone of you shares here on HBT. The link is http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/2012/12/yeast-washing-exposed.html Please let me know your thoughts, Thanks :drunk:

I've washed and reused yeast with absolute success. You're making a starter before pitching it, so it's fine to lose some. You're also eliminating all the stuff that could potentially cause off flavors...

People make slants with a much lesser count of yeast to make starters. As long as you're stepping it up the right pitch rate, who cares if you of lose some. That's my 2¢

I was particularly intrigued by the fact that there were more bacterial cells found in the saved portion of washed yeast than in the slurry that is discarded.

An interesting article. Still, if you keep 1% of the yeast you will have at most 1% of the trub. Any bacteria, although always present, is a measure of fault in the process. When you step up the yeast count to the required pitch you will have no more trub than in the original, that is why I would always wash and build a starter rather than pitch onto a cake.

Just pour the yeast cake in sanitized jar, fridge, then pitch proper amount of slurry when needed. Has worked well for me for 2 yrs now.

djt17 said:
Just pour the yeast cake in sanitized jar, fridge, then pitch proper amount of slurry when needed. Has worked well for me for 2 yrs now.

How long do you keep yeast in jar? Days, weeks?

Back